Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Halloween Question

i was thinking that very thing, Ula! (AHS is pretty cool.)
    She changes everything She touches; and everything She touches, changes. ~Starhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    I wouldn't actually make any connection between the modern gore, and this. but an agricultural Samhain would have been pretty gory.

while I couldn't cite sources or anything on this, I've always celebrated Samhain as the last harvest. there being three harvest festivals. the first being grain at lammas, the second being fruit at Mabon, and Samhain being the last harvest. the animals that would not be kept over winter being slaughtered, saving valuable feed for the best of a herd, and the meat that could be preserved being preserved for the winter. this is why it's also a feast day. the meat that doesn't keep well being enjoyed. we always get some good pate in, black pudding, and a bit of nice offal to mark this. so yes, it would have been gory.

but in reality I wouldn't read any more into the modern guts and gore than... it's all part of the fun.
    Pretty much. My guess is the gore came originally from the animals. They didn't just slaughter one or two, they slaughtered alot. Thats alot of guts and blood, (blech). Back then you could hang up the cow cut it open and spill out the guts on the floor or into the bowl, whatever. Now there are so many rules and its taken out of societies eye by being behind closed doors. I half wonder if doing that has put a different stigma on the whole blood and guts thing.

Oh, another thing to. Because of hollywood, when people think of someone dead, many picture what hollywood has put it as, which is usually something distorted, ugly with an eye ball hanging out, flesh hanging off, etc. Lots of people dont stop to consider that ghosts and spirits, you know, look "normal". That would take all the fun away. (tongue in cheek)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3