Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about the athame...

Question Question about the athame...

I'm fairly new to Wicca and I have a question about the athame. I know, traditionally the handle is supposed to be black, but I recently received one that has a brass mermaid for the handle. Would this make a just as useful athame? Will there be any disadvantages to using one like this? Thanks in advance for any help I can get. ^_^
    "I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam. I looked into the soul of the boy next to me." -- Woody Allen

Can you vision yourself as more comfortable with a black-handled blade, or with the one you received as a gift? I ask because, while that detail is probably important within some of the more strict traditions, if you're eclectic, it probably won't matter a whole lot.

Not to mention, it is a gift. Things that are meant for majickal use sometimes come to you that way.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all convictions, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

I really don't see a problem with your athame being whatever you would like it to be. I've known many that have used things such as a butter knife or a letter opener for an athame. I ordered mine online from the Blessed Bee, and they had many to choose from back then (two or three years ago). I chose one with a dark brown wooden handle so I could use a wood burner on it to engrave my name and the triple moon symbol. Whatever you feel comfortable using, by all means, use it.
    Brightest Blessings,
    Carridwynn

Journal of the Sidhe

Ha! You won't catch me beloinging to a tradition where everyone has to wear the same color robe and use the same kind of athame. I'm a unique individual and I'm not about to let anyone forget it.

My athame was purchased at a Ren Faire, it's about 16 inches long and has a carved walrus tusk for a handle. Very cool, I should try to take a photo and post it.

Rules were made to be broken. But only at the right time, eh?

Here's an exactly quote from the old version of the Liber Consiliis, my Tradition's text.

The Athame is a ritual blade, preferably of length between five or nine inches, with a hilt of black, or of natural leather or wood, or of a sculpted design meaningful or pleasing to the owner.
    So there ya have it.. if you want a mermaid for a handle, go for it!
    Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet mery Khepera her Bast
    (The Rule) (Copyright Policy) (Candle Altar)

Talking

Wow, thanks for the help everyone. ^_^ :D
    "I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam. I looked into the soul of the boy next to me." -- Woody Allen

My athame is leather handled, which is a light brown color. It's a nice hunting knife my dad has had since before I was born, and gave to me as a gift. He knew I had been wanting it since the time I was about 7..lol
    "Sleep tight in the arms of the Goddess, for she loves us all."-Shannon Warner, out of my BOS.

Aim-WitchiePoo85
    MSN Messanger-Sionnan@hotmail.com

Ive heard from a few sources that the first and second fingers of your hand can be used like an athame in a pinch. I use it every once in a while to focus back to my suroundings if I get a headache or get lightheaded, espeically after meditating to long. Just close my mind and focus on the point.
    -meet bob the boing

Tainted beauties have destroyed the hearts and minds of men, but the damned have only themselves to blame.

On my tombstone I want carved:
    He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

What do you do when youve forgotten how to cry, when tears are beyond you and anger cannot find you, when all you have left is pain and frustration where shall you turn?
    When life is hell, givem heck!
    \Enosiophobia or Enissophobia- Fear of having committed an unpardonable sin or of criticism
    "some people say that things just happen...well, I say they're meant to be. If not made for someone who's broken, then I fear that these things werent made for me."

- Asthmorte

http://www.myspace.com/grey86

Yep, the "Benediction" gesture of index and middle fingers out and thumb folded... always a useful substitute. I first ran across that one myself in some of my Hermetic material, but it most definitely works fine.
    Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet mery Khepera her Bast
    (The Rule) (Copyright Policy) (Candle Altar)

I know, traditionally the handle is supposed to be black, but I recently received one that has a brass mermaid for the handle. Would this make a just as useful athame?
    This is an old topic, but it still has a link in the New Pagan FAQ part of the forum. So I think it is worth to talk about it again.

Said so, on to the topic-->Depends on tradition. In some wicca traditions your athame with the brass mermaid is nothing more than a personal ritual knife or just a beautiful knife, not a athame. I don't think that is narrow-thinking, but more about preserving the symbolism that is fitting into that of wicca. Ask yourself why the knife had to be black-hilted, ask yourself why the knife needs symbols on the handle. Where is it fitting in the whole of wicca-symbolism, where is it fitting in working in your magical circle? Then look at the knife you now have, is it fitting into this all? Does the mermaid (water creature) fitting into it?

Thre is another way to consider this, that's more the eclectic way. That's all about feeling good, not about making things useful for yourself. Choose what you want: feeling good or fitting into the whole symbolism. When you questioning yourself all those questions, I bet you will eventually find an answer to yourself.
    Believe in a world of fairytales.... dreams may come true!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast