Thread: Okay, lets forget YouTube

Embarrassed Okay, lets forget YouTube

My YouTube prompt obviously bites, so, we'll try it this way

What relaxes you enough to meditate?
    What do you see when you meditate?
    What sort of things do you contemplate/work out when you meditate?
    Do you do magic when you meditate?
    Do you pray when you meditate or do you believe that should be a separate practice?
    When do you prefer to meditate (morning, afternoon, evening, before bed, etc)? Do you meditate at this time consistently?
    What advice would you give to someone who has never attempted meditation before OR who has a busy mind?

Anything else you'd like to add?
    "The magnificent, marvelous, mad, mad, mad, mad Madam Mim!" ~ Madam Mim, Sword in the Stone

I often meditate at work. I have a repetitive factory job and am by myself for most of my evening. It is easy to get into the rhythm of what I am doing and let the mind go. Sometimes I focus on a particular thought or path, and let the mind explore that area.

If you find that being unable to sit or lie still without falling asleep is difficult, find mindless tasks to do while you meditate. Keeping the hands busy tends to free the mind, if the task is easy and repetitive (sweeping, knitting stockinette stitch, etc.).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

What relaxes you enough to meditate? Once I decide to mediate I tend to relax. It does that for me.

What do you see when you meditate?
    I have a hard time visualizing I usualy have conversations or completely zone out.

What sort of things do you contemplate/work out when you meditate?
    I work with my guide, I put protections. I try to think through spells I am working on.

Do you do magic when you meditate? Not at this time.

Do you pray when you meditate or do you believe that should be a separate practice? I keep it separate.

When do you prefer to meditate (morning, afternoon, evening, before bed, etc)? Do you meditate at this time consistently? I usually have time once in bed but I like to get up early and do it. Around 4am then I go back to sleep for a bit.

What advice would you give to someone who has never attempted meditation before OR who has a busy mind?
    Try a guided mediation if you are having trouble. Don't lie down but be comfortable. Give yourself a few months of everyday mediation to get to where you go empty minded. Give yourself the chance to think about what pops in your head then let it go. Long gaps in practice will set you back, even if it's 5 minutes try to do a little a day.

I practice meditation much more akin to the Buddhist way. In Buddhism, meditation is a way to turn your brain off for a bit and ground yourself. Therefore, when I meditate, I think of nothing. Absolutely nothing. I count my breaths on the exhale to ten, then I start again at one. If a thought comes, I acknowledge it and move on. In my definition, this is meditation. When you concentrate on something or visualize or practice magic, that is different.

I prefer to meditate throughout the day, whenever my brain is too busy and I need a break. Sometimes I will set a soft timer for ten or fifteen minutes, others I will simply count until I feel calm and ready to continue.

Meditation, especially this sort, can be extremely hard in the beginning. I have been practicing this way for about a year now and sometimes it is so difficult to stop my brain that I want to give up. My advice would be to make sure the room is quiet and close your eyes. If you have trouble making your mind be quiet, hum (the traditional way is the syllable Ohm). If you have trouble with wandering thoughts, concentrate on your breath and only think the numbers as you count them. If you have trouble with visions, try to concentrate on solid or gradient colors (which you are likely to see on the backs of your eyelids anyway). Start by timing yourself from five minutes, then move up as it gets easier.

This helps me to calm down when I'm busy and rushed, simmer down when I'm angry or frustrated, concentrate when my mind is busy and sleep in bed at night.
    Cosmic
    Tree Forest

Meditation is the same for me as it is for Cosmic tree. Most of the time I find the best thing that works for me is to simply turn off my brain and space out, for lack of a better word. There have been times when I've used meditation for introspection, but I don't really feel it's the same thing for me. I've been practicing it ever since I can remember, even before I knew that it had a name. It's amazing how much it can help to just shut out your thoughts, sit back and relax without anything to distract you. Though, sometimes I can go a little over board with it. If I'm left undistracted I've found that I can do this for hours at a time. So, the typical "5-10 minute" suggested meditation limit usually never really works out for me.

I mostly use it to relieve anxiety, or if I'm feeling generally over whelmed with life. It's also a common practice if I'm having late night insomnia, as my thoughts tend to take over the most just before bed.