Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comic book lovers.

Moore, Morrison, and Gaiman. Of course. Jamie Delano, Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis, Pat Mills, Pete Milligan, John Ney Rieber.

There's probably more too. I've been a big fan of DC's "Vertigo" springboard since it first took off. Largely because it seemed to give some of the best British writers a well deserved shot at reaching American audiences. Writers like Morrison and Moore, who cut their teeth on 2000AD made a creative diaspora of the best writing talent of their day, either side of the pond, and raised the bar of American comics, to the giddy heights Vertigo still epitomises today.

Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" is a literary masterpiece, not just of the Graphic Novel, or Comic form, but as a genre defining work of literary and artistic genius. Before Sandman, Comics weren't regarded as "proper" literature. After Sandman, nothing was the same. Gaiman is more than just a writer, he's a Mythmaker of classical proprtion. His mixture of Ancient Greek classic themes and forms, melds perfectly with his modern, almost Bardic ability to weave truly magical tales, with the proper magnitude of darkness, nightmare, and tradition that had been all but sanitised out of the modern Fairytale. Epic and timeless, it deserves a place next to Shakespeare, Dante, and Milton as an accessible modern classic. And the inspirational move to make Death a foxy looking Goth Chick you could take home to meet your parents was pure brilliance.

Ooo! Ooo! Me! Me! *jumps around, waving hands*

I'm a Batfan. Though the current New 52 isn't doing anything for me, there are many of the older trades I thoroughly enjoy (such as No Man's Land, The Cult, Hush, Heart of Hush, The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, etc.) Also, I'm a fanficcer. When canon fails--and some times it fails BADLY--insert fanfic!
    The Sexy Heathen Babe

I am still waiting to be anything other than underwhelmed by the "New 52" titles.And although I accept that every so often a character needs ret-conning, or a worthy but discontinued character will be rebooted, I realise the continuity of the DC Universe doesn't have limitless regeneration powers, so eventually the holes in it's fabric become too hard to ignore. In the past, DC would knot all the current storylines into a "Crisis on infinite Earths" scenario, and the whole thing would get synchronised again from scratch. Not ideal, but inevitable. I think "Infinite 52" is a brave attempt to make the next event more manageable than COIE. But ultimately, unnecessary.

To me, it all seems a bit contrived and overconfident. Homogenised even. I think it risks becoming formulaic in it's content, as writers may struggle to tie in their plots at a pace that might not suit their style. Contracts would have to be carefully staggered, and probably longer than many writers would choose, or excel under. Not every writer can consistently deliver quality material on one title for years on end. Delano does. Ennis is also pretty capable. But would writers of this calibre still work as consistently to the inevitably more stringent deadlines and creative restrictions such a continuity would eventually subject them to?

It might also lead to less writer owned titles being fielded, and that would be a shame. DC has led the way in giving mainstream writers their heads like this, especially with the Vertigo imprint. The Invisibles, Sandman, Transmetropolitan, all huge, all creator owned. All long running big sellers for DC/Vertigo.

Some Vertigo titles did manage to cross over into the DCU continuity and back without too much disruption. For example, Swamp Thing did, and Animal Man too. (JLA)

Seeing that they are now both part of the "New 52" re-boot, presumably they will lose the creative scope that being under the "suggested for mature readers" remit previously allowed them. And I'm certainly not happy to think that a title like Hellblazer might be re-packaged in this way. I Imagine some bright spark sub-editor drafting John Constantine into JLE, or letting him get plot lined into Arkham Asylum. *Shudders*

Or of The Corinthian being co-opted as Batman's next arch enemy. . . . . . hang on, that might even work. . . OK then, Thessaly vs Wonder Woman? . . .nope, that might work too. . . . . . See? The artistic license to crossover, and back again is an important dynamic here, and having "New 52" synch Vertigo characters into the DCU proper might be an extremely difficult move to go back on. It was bad enough trying to square Buddy Baker's JLA arcs with his Vertigo character, but having him team up with Swamp Thing in that "The Rot" plot just seems lazy and predictable to me. But time will tell.

I think Grant Morrison's brilliant description of the "Comic character's Limbo" realm (towards the end of his run on "Animal Man") even now could still be a real runner for any writer brave enough to pick it up and run with it. Expanding on the basic principles Morrison posited in that arc, could have pre-emptively squished the "New 52" nonsense before it warranted a second thought.

But what do I know? I just read the things. And comic Fanboys are notoriously fickle when their favourite title gets passed to a writer who doesn't have the skills to deliver. Rick Veitch on Animal Man, for instance, or Rick Veitch on Swamp Thing. (Sorry Rick, but you must know what I mean)

Morrison had a bit of a shaky period with The Invisibles, when numbers slumped drastically, and it looked like the title might have to be canned for a while. It was only saved by Morrison's consumnate skill as a Chaos Magicker, when he organised the remaining dozen or so readers to participate in a synchronised "Wankathon". On the cynical pretext that his readers may as well be whacking off to some positive thing (Like saving The Invisibles) rather than their usual depraved Pinky Pie Brony fantasies. And while it may have saved the title, it didn't do the mental image of his demographic any favours, really.

Right, I'm off now to*ahem*charge up a couple of sigils. . . . . (Don't you DARE Judge me!)

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKanik View Post
    I am still waiting to be anything other than underwhelmed by the "New 52" titles.And although I accept that every so often a character needs ret-conning, or a worthy but discontinued character will be rebooted, I realise the continuity of the DC Universe doesn't have limitless regeneration powers, so eventually the holes in it's fabric become too hard to ignore. In the past, DC would knot all the current storylines into a "Crisis on infinite Earths" scenario, and the whole thing would get synchronised again from scratch. Not ideal, but inevitable. I think "Infinite 52" is a brave attempt to make the next event more manageable than COIE. But ultimately, unnecessary.
    The biggest issue I'm having is that a LOT of things (mostly small details that have a large over-all impact) seem to constantly be ignored. Not retconned, because to that it would have to be addressed, but IGNORED outright. Like Ra's al Ghul and the League of Shadows being Eco-terrorists. Yeah, I have a whole rant on that one (and how it ties into Damian) but I'll spare you :P

The other issue is that we're being given characters fully formed. I mean FULLY formed. All the kinks are worked out, they seem.....perfect. And perfect isn't interesting. I want to see the seams. I want to see the uncertainty. I want to see that which means they have to struggle with themselves. But it's not there. It's like DC has mandated that there will be NO Man vs. himself stories o.o

And I agree, it IS becoming formulaic with a few exceptions.

I really think that DC is shooting themselves in the foot. I foresee a LOT of readers going elsewhere to find the quality of stories they aren't getting from the New 52.

It might also lead to less writer owned titles being fielded, and that would be a shame.
    This I'm not worried about. If anything I think writer owned will take an upswing since self publishing is becoming easier and easier. Especially with things like Kickstarter around. But this would be for new properties. The established ones that are owned by DC will still be royally screwed over. Like Cass Cain and Stephanie Brown.

Right, I'm off now to*ahem*charge up a couple of sigils. . . . . (Don't you DARE Judge me!)
    *grins* works for me
    The Sexy Heathen Babe

I'm getting my jollys from Avatar Press these days.
    http://www.crossedcomic.com/category/the-webcomic/
    Last edited by KarmaKanik; December 21st, 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: wrong link

I've been a little upset with D.C's reboot

I like Gaiman's Sandman series and Alan Moore's Lost Girls () and the Game of Thrones comics.

The New 52 still rather sucks.

Though Harley Quinn's book has been silly fun. And I just picked up the DC Bombshells #1 and it looks beautiful.
    Favorite books at present: Neil Gaiman's Sandman still rocks, Preacher, Saga (absolutely brilliant stuff), and Fables is still running strong.
    Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

I've just recently started to get more into reading comics. Right now I'm catching up on Iron Fist, Hulk & Adam Warlock.

However, the one that I got started on many years ago and is still my favorite to this day is Judge Dredd.
    "Some people would rather die than think, in fact many do so." - B. Russell

"Punishments inflicted with signs of anger are useless." - I Kant

"Can't you see what's plain as day,
    It's always been there inside of you.
    One saving grace that's hard to face.
    Embracing the truth will change your fate.
    It's up to you and the path you choose,
    To be led to the slaughter or lead the way.
    The quest for light, a worthwhile fight
    Will you have what it takes?
    Come what may." - J Schaffer

I don't read comics and graphic novels, only mangas. I buy my favorite mangas in French and English so I have many: Akatsuki no Yona, Black Butler, Black Cat, Blood Lad, Blue Exorcist, Count Cain, Demon Love Spell, Devils and Realist, D.Gray-man, ES: Eternal Sabbath, Fairy Tail, Fullmetal Alchemist, Godchild, Goth, Kamisama Kiss, Karneval, Lament of the Lamb, Les Bijoux, MPD Psycho, Noragami: Stray God, Rosario+Vampire, Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign, The Tarot Cafe, Vampire Knight, Zetsuen no Tempest. I'm also a big fan of Tsutomu Nihei, and I have everything he has done, including his masterpiece Blame!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast