Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making my own runes...

Thumbs up Making my own runes...

Out of homemade clay (2c. flour 1c. salt 1c. water). I measured out about 0.5oz of clay for each of 24 runes which I formed into little balls and then gently pressed to be slightly flat. I then took a flat head screwdriver and marked in each rune into the balls. They are currently in a 250 degree oven slowly drying. Once they are dry and cool I'll take either a dark pen or some paint and fill in the marks and then I'll cover with clear nail polish.

I've also purchased fabric to sew (with machine) a drawstring rune bag.

Once it is all done, I'll post a picture
    "The magnificent, marvelous, mad, mad, mad, mad Madam Mim!" ~ Madam Mim, Sword in the Stone

Oh fantastic, what a great idea. I do hope you'll post pictures when you finish.

Here is the finished product! A little rougher than I thought they'd be, but still not bad for my first attempt

Runes.jpg
    "The magnificent, marvelous, mad, mad, mad, mad Madam Mim!" ~ Madam Mim, Sword in the Stone

Those are beautiful! I'm totally going to make a set of Ogham Runes this weekend using that method :D

Quote Originally Posted by aynfean View Post
    Those are beautiful! I'm totally going to make a set of Ogham Runes this weekend using that method :D
    I'm so glad you like them! The paint in the etching of the rune symbol kind of smudged up a bit, but in a way they kind of look "old" or "authentic" that way. I hope yours turn out the way you want them too and I hope you'll share!

Those are really neat! I was going to make some runes in shells using polymer clay, but I like the idea of homemade clay. It seems more natural. Very cool.
    "Bubble, bubble, toil, and trouble, the sheep in the fields, the cow in the corn."
    "The past is like a fish. You can't change it."

Check out my shop on Etsy:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HoodedCrowCrafts?ref=si_shop

Oh, this is awesome! I might have to give this a try some time, because I've always wanted my own set of runes to work with. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by CaeruleusLady View Post
    Those are really neat! I was going to make some runes in shells using polymer clay, but I like the idea of homemade clay. It seems more natural. Very cool.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Somnious View Post
    Oh, this is awesome! I might have to give this a try some time, because I've always wanted my own set of runes to work with. Thanks for sharing!
    And thank you!

Did anyone try to make runes from the paste?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast