Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Once Upon a Time

If you notice, though, the fairy tales they choose to explore aren't completely random. There's traditional stories like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, and classic fantasy fiction like Alice in Wonderland and Pinocchio. What they have in common, though, is that they're all stories that Walt Disney has made movies about. In one scene, the Queen battles another sorceress, Malificent from Sleeping Beauty. She is referred to by that name even though the traditional story only refers to her as the bad fairy. That was her name in the 1959 Disney movie, though. Similarly, the Genie of the Lamp who became the Queen's magic mirror claimed to have come from Agrabar, the city in the 1992 film Aladdin.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    If you notice, though, the fairy tales they choose to explore aren't completely random. There's traditional stories like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, and classic fantasy fiction like Alice in Wonderland and Pinocchio. What they have in common, though, is that they're all stories that Walt Disney has made movies about. In one scene, the Queen battles another sorceress, Malificent from Sleeping Beauty. She is referred to by that name even though the traditional story only refers to her as the bad fairy. That was her name in the 1959 Disney movie, though. Similarly, the Genie of the Lamp who became the Queen's magic mirror claimed to have come from Agrabar, the city in the 1992 film Aladdin.
    Oh... my... seriously?

None of the ones listed or used are original Disney. Disney has been around for almost a century and the fact that they have made it to most of the traditional fairy-tales and classic stories is kind of inevitable since they dedicated themselves to bringing animated life to said fairy-tales. A lot of the MAIN characters are actually Grimm characters. You might want to look there for your conspiracy.

The only thing you have there is the name of Agrabah... The jinn is a 1001 nights character... also knows as "Arabian Nights". The stories they chose to explore are the same as the stories they (Disney) chose to explore because said stories ARE that popular...

You are confusing correlation with causation... not the same thing.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

It's not a conspiracy. The show is being produced by Disney and the allusions are deliberate. Other examples include the names of the dwarves (unnamed in the Grimm version) and the character of Gaston in the episode "Skin Deep." Belle is also named, but like in the movie this could be explained by the French "belle"="beautiful." We also see a clock and candelabra reminiscent of Cogsworth and Lumere, and the chipped teacup is central to the episode's plot. True, not every character is a Disney (Ruby/Red Riding Hood, for example) but there are a number of them. There are also a number of allusions to the series Lost, but I was never that into that show.

Edit: I found some more on wikipedia. Dr. Hopper's dalmatian is named "Pongo." (101 Dalmatians) Henry plays the video game "Space Paranoids" from the movie Tron. Rumpelstiltskin has Mickey's hat from the Sorcerer's Apprentice sequence in Fantasia in his castle.
    Last edited by Daecon; March 31st, 2012 at 07:28 PM.

I have never been an Alice in Wonderland fan but I love their treatment of it.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    It's not a conspiracy. The show is being produced by Disney and the allusions are deliberate. Other examples include the names of the dwarves (unnamed in the Grimm version) and the character of Gaston in the episode "Skin Deep." Belle is also named, but like in the movie this could be explained by the French "belle"="beautiful." We also see a clock and candelabra reminiscent of Cogsworth and Lumere, and the chipped teacup is central to the episode's plot. True, not every character is a Disney (Ruby/Red Riding Hood, for example) but there are a number of them. There are also a number of allusions to the series Lost, but I was never that into that show.

Edit: I found some more on wikipedia. Dr. Hopper's dalmatian is named "Pongo." (101 Dalmatians) Henry plays the video game "Space Paranoids" from the movie Tron. Rumpelstiltskin has Mickey's hat from the Sorcerer's Apprentice sequence in Fantasia in his castle.
    I know ABC is owned by the Walt Disney Company since 1996. You made it sound as though it was a Disney propaganda in as they only used well known DISNEY movies as basis for the show, which is not the case. Most of the classic fairy tales in general has been touched by Disney in one way or another, but not all of these are made famous by Disney. I apologize if we had a misunderstanding... but it seemed to be to be a big... "it's only Disney stroking their own horn". All you had to say was... it's produced by the ABC which is owned by The Walt Disney Company. I don't even understand how this is relevant to the actual quality of the show. But to each their own. If it's not conspiracy-like in nature I don't really know why one would point things out. A lot of the stories are not like their Disney animations as such... so... ?
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

This series has started over here in England. I watched it yesterday and found it enjoyable. I can't wait to see how the show developes.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

I DVR'd last night's episode. Please tell me it was better than Alice in Wonderland! :P I didn't mind it.. but I'm getting quite sick of the evil queen being one step ahead.
    I am... Witchy Woman Incognito
    “Although only breath, words which I command are immortal.” - Sappho

Who saw Sunday's episode? And the one before, revealing who August was? I wanna gush, but I don't wanna give spoilers.
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Quote Originally Posted by Ćon Flux View Post
    You know... I was so mistrusting about this show in the beginning, but the actors play their characters so incredibly well and compelling I have gotten stuck in it. Cinematography is brilliant, so is the script MOST of the time. I also like the fact that a child is essentially the most brilliant one it the show in a sense.
    i was the same way. in fact, i won't admit to anyone aside from close friends that i even watch it. there are people with whom i work who are so involved that they watch each episode several times and pick them apart. i am not at that level. i enjoy the show. it has me interested enough to want to see the connections and what will happen next. love henry <g>
    "science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality"-carl sagan

I have thoroughly enjoyed this show. They make the character associations (where in the fairy tales there are none) smooth and believable, as well, they have gone back into quite a few versions that have never been the "popular" ones. While Snow white may not have been friends with Red Riding Hood anywhere in a story, this is believable in the show. It is also vaguely along the story lines of Snow White and Rose Red, which has never been a popular tale.

I don't see any "conspiracy for pro-Disney" in anything, in fact, they have made a real effort to make this a lot darker than anything Disney has done. I think people are reading into things just too much. I mean it only makes sense to use names people are familiar with for those characters who were nameless in the actual stories. It's not like the other characters can go around calling her the Evil Queen or Wicked Stepmother right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2