Thread: Cybernetic Augmentation of the Human Body

Cybernetic Augmentation of the Human Body

This is a subject which I find continually fascinating (consequently I tend to think about it a great deal).

What do you think of the concept of cybernetic augmentation of the human body?

If you're not familiar with the concept, cybernetic augmentations are essentially machines to replace specific parts of the human body. Usually this means increased performance in that particular area or part of the body or as a means to restore an area (often a limb) that has been lost or damaged.

This is an example of a (fictitious) commercial for cybernetic augmentations focusing on the restoration of normal function
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tareckJsOU

I
    t's a somewhat idealized technology at this point, but something that will probably be widely available in the future.

Would you get augmentations, even if you didn't need them? Would you advocate for them to be banned?
    "There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. By doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses one still gets wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will get the same soaking. This understanding extends to all things."

I am not for or against.
    I look at it this way..take breast reconstruction. Best thing for the cancer patient or the woman that had a terrible accident or born with a disfigurement. But we have the woman who get boob jobs to look prettier, sexier and so on.
    Being able to help people is good. Replacing a severed or damaged leg is good. Making it so the blind see, great.
    And of course there will always be the demand for people who just want the changes because of reasons other than need.
    So whats to have an opinion about? Helping the ill, disfigured, disabled, etc, have a better life, of course its good.
    Using it for other reasons like better than you were before, the people who can pay will do that too. Seems like you can not help one with others wanting it to even if they have no need, just money.

I sure wouldn't be against such a thing. I would love to have my deformed spine replaced so I could have the active life I so wish I could have. That would be a dream come true. Would I refuse because it may make me better than expected or because people will buy the improvement for what ever reason? LOL I dont like living disabled. I would take it if I could. There would be abuse's just like there is in everything else. Thats humans for you.
    Should we take away helpful meds because people abuse them?
    Take away plastic surgery because some people abuse that too? Let disfigured people go without?
    Someday I hope the all the blind will see, all the deaf will hear, all the disabled will be able again, even though there will be people taking advantage.
    Last edited by Shanti; December 28th, 2011 at 11:26 PM.

Sometimes I think I live in the dance studio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanti View Post
    I am not for or against.
    I look at it this way..take breast reconstruction. Best thing for the cancer patient or the woman that had a terrible accident or born with a disfigurement. But we have the woman who get boob jobs to look prettier, sexier and so on.
    Being able to help people is good. Replacing a severed or damaged leg is good. Making it so the blind see, great.
    And of course there will always be the demand for people who just want the changes because of reasons other than need.
    So whats to have an opinion about? Helping the ill, disfigured, disabled, etc, have a better life, of course its good.
    Using it for other reasons like better than you were before, the people who can pay will do that too. Seems like you can not help one with others wanting it to even if they have no need, just money.

I sure wouldn't be against such a thing. I would love to have my deformed spine replaced so I could have the active life I so wish I could have. That would be a dream come true. Would I refuse because it may make me better than expected or because people will buy the improvement for what ever reason? LOL I dont like living disabled. I would take it if I could. There would be abuse's just like there is in everything else. Thats humans for you.
    Should we take away helpful meds because people abuse them?
    Take away plastic surgery because some people abuse that too? Let disfigured people go without?
    Someday I hope the all the blind will see, all the deaf will hear, all the disabled will be able again, even though there will be people taking advantage.

Very well said.