Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old pagan, old atheist, new atheist-pagan?

Quote Originally Posted by Ćon Flux View Post
    Many atheists celebrate their previous holidays the same way, just without the worship of a deity part.
    Good. Point. As someone who hasn't been a Christian since the pre-teen years and still maintains that Easter is the best holiday... I don't know how this one slipped by me. Over-thinking, obviously. If I celebrate Easter and Christmas without even a hint of Jesus, there should be no problem celebrating the sabbats as season-changes as well.

I cannot recommend this article (.pdf) enough.

Honestly, I think nontheistic religion is seriously undervalued in our society, but makes more and more sense as people learn more about psychology, physics etc. and find supernatural explanations redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Benvarry View Post

Honestly, I think nontheistic religion is seriously undervalued in our society, but makes more and more sense as people learn more about psychology, physics etc. and find supernatural explanations redundant.
    Great article, thanks. I don't necessarily agree with all of the atheist wheel of the year, but it was nice to see the sorts of things I've been thinking about.

I've also recently realized that, no, there isn't anything unusual about the fact that I still want god and goddess statuary, despite not believing in a deity. I love mythology and fairy tales, and I have a ton of faery artwork... and it's not as if I believe in any of those. Like I said, I was really over-thinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLadyGrey View Post
    I've also recently realized that, no, there isn't anything unusual about the fact that I still want god and goddess statuary, despite not believing in a deity. I love mythology and fairy tales, and I have a ton of faery artwork... and it's not as if I believe in any of those. Like I said, I was really over-thinking this.
    Oh totally! I love Cernunnos and have a few pendants I wear of him. Once I move into my new house, I am so getting this. I enjoy his symbolism but I don't really believe in him as a deity (I have a hard time believing in any anthropomorphic, humanoid, god-like thing). I look at it in the same way that I collect figures of werewolves - I love werewolf folklore and I love monster movies, but having toys and statues of them does not mean I believe they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Benvarry View Post

I've just started reading that article; it seems interesting so far, but I'm curious as to its origins. It strikes me as being written in a blog-like format and in informal blog-like language? How did you come across it?

Quote Originally Posted by Áine de Morrígan View Post
    I've just started reading that article; it seems interesting so far, but I'm curious as to its origins. It strikes me as being written in a blog-like format and in informal blog-like language? How did you come across it?
    The editor of The Pomegranate linked to it in his blog.

I think a lot of academic philosophical writing uses that style. They're all about keeping it simple yet engaging.

I see, thanks! Yeah it was more the format really that make me think that. And the rough-and-readiness could be due to it being a draft! It's an interesting read anyway, thanks for sharing

Sounds like I am in a pretty similar place to you, TheLadyGrey. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread (:

This from Aine de Morrigan really sounds like me:
    Personally, I still somewhat "recognise" the goddess, but I suppose I view her more as an archetype or archetypes than a sentient higher power. But everyone is different, you just mostly need to do a lot of thinking and exploring and find out exactly what you actually believe in and how you can reflect that in your practice. You may not even feel the need to do ritual anymore, or you might change them completely. I'm still in the process of figuring it all out too.
    I also still recognize "the goddess" but I view her more as an archetype/s than higher power/deity/whatever. I still keep the Wheel of the Year and I still keep a lot of my rituals these days -- like daily candles, having a little altar space where I burn incense and pause to think and be grateful for things, that kind of stuff.
    little zombies by p. robertson
    i was by zetta

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2