Thread: We Are All One.

is offline Artsy Lefthanded Redhead Dirt Worshipper

We Are All One.

If you have some time, please check out this video as well as some other ones the creator has posted. I thought someone might find them intriguing

http://youtu.be/pIJHJzDQcRM
    "A native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he felt. He said 'I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One wolf is the vengeful, angry, violent one. The other wolf is the loving, compassionate one.' The grandson asked him, 'Which wolf will win the fight in your heart?' The grandfather answered: 'The one I feed.' "

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    5:12 into it and all I have seen so far is celebrities making jokes and being craaaaayzee. Oh, and gross misrepresentations of basic science starting here. DNA spiral... **** me. It is a double helix.

05:33 Electrons DO NOT orbit the nucleus at the speed of light! Electrons have mass FFS!

05:50 No, no, no... conscious particles? Am I smelling a complete lack of understanding of the Uncertainty principle? Yes I am.

Okay... I am not even going to bother marking things after 8:36. John Hagelin was a respected researcher who worked for CERN until I-do-not-know-what happened and he has been a member of a... well, let us just say cult led private university that most previous students suggest you stay away from, ever since.

The scientist before that used the typical "birds and bees" variant of trying to describe quantum physics and such, because it CANNOT be described in words.

John Hagelin is using emotive language that has little to do with actual quantum physics because he works for a university that was founded by a yogi and has "consciousness focused education" as its main pitch. John Hagelin is very intelligent, which means nothing... because even Nobel Prize winners go bonkers sometimes. Intelligence does not exclude insanity. John Hagelin has turned into a dishonest hack and has left quantum physics for so-called "quantum metaphysics". Essentially the same bullshit The Secret spouts.

Now, I am smart enough to actually admit I do not know quantum physics. Why? Because I have not got a PhD in, for example particular physics.

Ever seen Big Bang Theory? Remember the boards. Those equations is what you need to know in order to even come close to understand quantum theory and physics. There is a reason Sheldon and Leslie are the way they are.

How big of a hack has John Hagelin become?

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/04-10-01/
    Another “proof” of the power of thought presented in the film is the so-called “Maharishi Effect.” In 1993, 4,000 meditators gathered in Washington, D.C. under the direction of physicist John Hagelin. Hagelin predicted in advance that the meditations would drive down the violent crime rate in the city by 25 percent that summer. Despite the fact that the murder rate actually rose, Hagelin announced a year later that his analysis proved that the violent crime rate fell just as he had predicted. In his recent book he states that the meditators “function essentially as a ‘washing machine’ for the entire society.”
    Why am I pointing this put in "Theology and Philosophy"?

Because, if you want this sentiment in an actually established spirituality, that is fine. Go study Buddhism and various offshoot sects, but do not mix science into the mix where it does not actually fit. Especially when that science is incomprehensible for the average shmo. AND ESPECIALLY not when it is advocated by ONE scientist. One scientist who is the ONLY one directly quoted, a scientist who lies, a scientist who works for a yogi based University.

This video called the DNA strands "spirals", not what they are... "double helixes" which you should have learned about in primary school biology. IF you hear a mistake like that, just stop watching... the video is probably made by someone who do not have basic science in their baggage. Appeals to authority is not a good thing either. Just because someone has a PhD does not mean they are right. If they have been the laughing stock of their profession and people are reluctant to even recognize their valid research because of how far they have fallen, maybe that should be an indication to you as a layman that not everything is right in said persons head anymore.

You do what you like, of coarse. But to bastardize science in some sort of effort to validate ones spirituality is not the way to go. People have been doing it for as long as science has been around, but that does not mean you should let your mind go down the same road. (using "you" in the general sense here, not pointing to ANYONE specific at all)

Look, you cannot understand quantum theory and quantum physics unless you are trained in the subject... and even the ones who are do not understand it completely yet... as such, it cannot be used to proclaim spiritual truths.
    Last edited by Aeon Flux; January 5th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

is offline Artsy Lefthanded Redhead Dirt Worshipper
    Oh, I didn't make the video, I just thought it was interesting. I'm not an expert on the subject either. I'm not familiar with the main person that was interviewed. You have some very good points, and that is exactly what I was seeking It would be nice to live in an ideal world that people are aware that we are symbiotic in some ways, but I know that in the current world we live in, its just not possible. Mankind would have to make major changes to acheive that. Heck, that is why so many people don't support earthen spiritualities that are prevalent in this forum, because we separate ourselves from each others instead of trying to find the similarities between beliefs for a better mankind.
    "A native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he felt. He said 'I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One wolf is the vengeful, angry, violent one. The other wolf is the loving, compassionate one.' The grandson asked him, 'Which wolf will win the fight in your heart?' The grandfather answered: 'The one I feed.' "

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfspirit View Post
    Oh, I didn't make the video, I just thought it was interesting. I'm not an expert on the subject either. I'm not familiar with the main person that was interviewed. You have some very good points, and that is exactly what I was seeking It would be nice to live in an ideal world that people are aware that we are symbiotic in some ways, but I know that in the current world we live in, its just not possible. Mankind would have to make major changes to acheive that. Heck, that is why so many people don't support earthen spiritualities that are prevalent in this forum, because we separate ourselves from each others instead of trying to find the similarities between beliefs for a better mankind.
    I know you didn't make it. Hence why I stated I was using the word "you" to mean "one" or "people in general".

There are plenty of things in science that have an almost spiritual sound to it, but fact of the matter is that it remains separate from what so-called "sages" and "spiritual leaders" have been saying for thousands of years. Just because things have to be expressed with metaphors does not mean one can take those metaphors and apply them to the metaphors of spirituality and say "see, practically the same! Science confirm my spirituality". That is what I wanted to get across.

Science is amazing enough without people putting meaning to it that isn't there. When they say the matter in your right hand is probably made up from the matter of a different star than your left... that is what they mean. Not that we are "star children" who have been sent to earth, but that we are made of star stuff.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw