Thread: Carnival Season...

Carnival Season...

...or Mardi Gras, as it's called some places, officially started today, with Three Kings Day, and continues through Fat Tuesday, which is February 21, this year.

So, time to get ready to, well, get ready for Spring! Wassail the apple trees if you have them. If you did the Kings Cake ritual and found the doll, work out what you're doing for the next big date on the Carnival calendar, Imbolc/Candlemas.

Even if you didn't do the Cake thing, it's not too early to plan for Brigid.

So, if anyone has any ideas to throw around for Carnival, let's hear 'em!

Oh I miss living in New Orleans! I'm not a Christian Witch, just couldn't pass up a thread with a Carnaval theme. Austin focuses on the Brazilian type celebrations which is lots of nudity, dancing and drinking! :O

When I lived in New Orleans, we had a King Cake party every Friday for the whole season. Whoever got the baby had to host the next week's party.

The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Quote Originally Posted by perceval23 View Post
    ...or Mardi Gras, as it's called some places, officially started today, with Three Kings Day, and continues through Fat Tuesday, which is February 21, this year.

So, time to get ready to, well, get ready for Spring! Wassail the apple trees if you have them. If you did the Kings Cake ritual and found the doll, work out what you're doing for the next big date on the Carnival calendar, Imbolc/Candlemas.

Even if you didn't do the Cake thing, it's not too early to plan for Brigid.

So, if anyone has any ideas to throw around for Carnival, let's hear 'em!
    I love this idea of having a celebration for several weeks! Imbolc/Candlemas is one of my favorite holidays, and perfect for breaking up the winter blahs. (I love this holiday so much that I start celebrating it the evening of January 31st and continue through February 3rd.) I love the idea of spreading it out over the season. I didn't really do anything for Epiphany this year, except drive my mother crazy by moving the Three Kings from her Nativity set a little closer to Jesus every day from Christmas to January 6th. It's my sister's birthday, so we focus more on celebrating that. I do plan on trying to have pancakes on Shrove/Fat Tuesday, and I always try to listen to Robert Earl Longley's song Fat Tuesday that's on the disc Danza Mora. I do try to switch up my bookshelf shrine to reflect the seasons. Any idea on how to decorate it for this time of year?
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

I love the bit about moving the Kings closer to the Nativity each day.

The thing I love most about the Christian calendar is how each Festival leads directly to the next. There's the Harvest festivals, which lead directly into Advent, preparing for the shortest nights of the year and the rebirth of the Sun with Christmas. Christmas's end, Twelfth Night, starts Carnival, the preparation for Lent. One of the major parts of Carnival is Imbolc/Candlemas, which is about the first signs of the coming Spring. Lent is the beginning of Spring, when Nature is renewing, so we renew ourselves in mind, body, and spirit with internal cleansing. Lent includes St. Patrick's Day, just before the Vernal Equinox, the old saying "Winter trembles on St. Brigid's Day and runs for it's life on St. Patrick's." This climaxes with Easter, the first full moon following the Equinox.

Then, it's preparing for Summer with the May Devotionals, which continue the entire month, not just Beltane/May Day. This is followed by the June Devotionals and Midsummer.

That constant awareness of the impending next turn of the Seasons helps psychologically, I've discovered. It makes the cold days and nights of Winter a little less biting when you're looking at the trees and thinking the leaves are about to grow, when you're mentally thinking in terms of "Spring is coming."

As for decorating the alter... Hmm, have to think about that. Lots of candles for the beginning of February, obviously. What other things to represent the transition? Hmm...