Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Homemade butter

Another thing that is awesome about making your own butter is that when it is still at the forming stage you can add in fresh herbs and such that make it so good. Also, unlike margarine which has too much oil to freeze well, butter does freeze very well. I freeze my herbed butter in pats, I use the lid from a peanut butter jar, so that I don't waste any when I use it.

Well, I did my second batch with the paddle. I used 2/5 cups of cream, so it was enough liquid to get the paddle pretty well submerged (maybe 1/3 of it). It took TWO HOURS to make butter (and I did let it warm to room temp for 4 hours first)! I thought the 30-45 minutes for the whisk was a long time! Apparently, you can do this in the blender in about 5 minutes.

The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Quote Originally Posted by madness View Post
    Well, I did my second batch with the paddle. I used 2/5 cups of cream, so it was enough liquid to get the paddle pretty well submerged (maybe 1/3 of it). It took TWO HOURS to make butter (and I did let it warm to room temp for 4 hours first)! I thought the 30-45 minutes for the whisk was a long time! Apparently, you can do this in the blender in about 5 minutes.

You should try hand churning some time. Ugh just remembering makes my arms hurt. Did you at least get a better textured butter?

It was the same texture, which I didn't have a problem with on the first batch - it's similar to store bought and other handmade butters I've had.

When I get a big supply of cream this summer, I hope to do some hand churning. We have an old hand crack one that holds maybe a half gallon. That should be fun!

Sometimes I think I live in the dance studio.
    Okay, this is probably a stupid question. But is it possible to make butter with normal-people-store-bought cream and/or milk? That butter just looks soooo awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ClareJulissa View Post
    Okay, this is probably a stupid question. But is it possible to make butter with normal-people-store-bought cream and/or milk? That butter just looks soooo awesome!
    You won't be able to do it with milk, unless you can find non-homogenized milk so you could skim the cream off. But I can't think of a time I ever saw that in the regular store. I used to think you couldn't do it with regular store bought cream, but apparently you can make a "soft" butter with it. The problem is that it is "ultra pasteurized" - if you see something that doesn't say that, you are golden. But go ahead and give it a try with the ultra-pasteurized stuff and see how it works. I haven't done it but a friend of mine swears you can do it!

Sometimes I think I live in the dance studio.
    Quote Originally Posted by madness View Post
    You won't be able to do it with milk, unless you can find non-homogenized milk so you could skim the cream off. But I can't think of a time I ever saw that in the regular store. I used to think you couldn't do it with regular store bought cream, but apparently you can make a "soft" butter with it. The problem is that it is "ultra pasteurized" - if you see something that doesn't say that, you are golden. But go ahead and give it a try with the ultra-pasteurized stuff and see how it works. I haven't done it but a friend of mine swears you can do it!
    Thanks for the info.

I have made butter with heavy whipping cream. It isn't as tasty and you need to add just a hint of salt, but it's better than margarine any day. I make it to make herbed butter to freeze sometimes.

It's very very hard to get unpasteurized milk. Illegal in a lot of states actually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2