Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lent

Lent

With Fat Tuesday coming up, followed by Ash Wednesday, what are everyone's Lent plans?

First, an explanation of Lent for anyone reading who may be unfamiliar with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8o2At_UUc

For me, with the avoiding meat on Ash Wednesday as well as Fridays, and Fat Tuesday being about finishing off all the especially rich food in the house, this is a good time for an internal cleansing. That also keeps with the concept of renewing ourselves during Lent as Nature is renewing herself.

For those first three days, I'll be avoiding processed foods. Give the guts a break. Stick to easily digested foods. Shakes, including protein shakes (as we still need protein). Nuts are also a great protein source. Be sure you're still getting your vitamins.

Not that I don't already know what Lent is but just so you know your explnation seems to have disappeared.

I personally gave up Lent for Lent 30 years ago and have held strong ever since!

I don't give anything up... Because within a week, I'm back to doing whatever it was I gave up...
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

Cloaky

Happy 150th Birthday, Canada!
    1867 - 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Cloaked Raven View Post
    I don't give anything up... Because within a week, I'm back to doing whatever it was I gave up...
    And there you have why I gave up Lent for Lent. I have kept my vow for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
    And there you have why I gave up Lent for Lent. I have kept my vow for 30 years.
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

Cloaky

Happy 150th Birthday, Canada!
    1867 - 2017

I too gave up lent for lent. I believe it was around the time I was 13 or 14...so approximately 26-27 years ago. I have held strong to my commitment.
    "Some people would rather die than think, in fact many do so." - B. Russell

"Punishments inflicted with signs of anger are useless." - I Kant

"Can't you see what's plain as day,
    It's always been there inside of you.
    One saving grace that's hard to face.
    Embracing the truth will change your fate.
    It's up to you and the path you choose,
    To be led to the slaughter or lead the way.
    The quest for light, a worthwhile fight
    Will you have what it takes?
    Come what may." - J Schaffer

Lent is a nice time to do something spiritual whether your Christian or not. I have decided to give up my extra weight, lol. I am getting the bike in order to start riding to work and start going to the pool 3 times a week. I found out I have arthritis in my back and need to get the extra weight off. Not to mention the good I can do the environment not using the car. I figure if I can get a routine going by the end of Lent it will be second nature.

I don't "give up" anything for Lent, but I do commemorate the month by serving fish every lenten Friday.

not really "giving up" anything for Lent this year, but i have started doing daily scripture and tarot readings during Lent. this year will be the first year i can do this with my new Gaian tarot deck Also i will try to meditate daily if i can. and do the rosary on fridays (sorrowful mysteries.)
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

Yeah, it's not about giving a specific thing like chocolate or whatever up. That's just a custom some people do. What it's about is trying to be a better, more spiritual, and more responsible person.

Granted, it's one of those keeping with Nature's Cycles things, but the idea is we should commit to renewing ourselves as Nature is renewing itself with Spring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast