Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Santeria Palos

hello
    the eleda.org site I went to view the spanish photo again( top set of photos ) the last one of the third row via google images and in the browser it says espanta policia , the google images weblink is extremely long

It appears Ven A Mi is the same as Para Mi

Ven a Mi (Hamelia patens)

I found it in a list of endangered species being sold in Cuba.
    http://www.ibg.uu.se/digitalAssets/8...nder-Marie.pdf

I also saw a video on youtube.com that Carlos Montenegro, the author of the book I bought, posted. He showed the Para Mi or Come to Me tree but didn't give a scientific name.

I've gone through a lot of those pictures on that one website and haven't found anything yet. I will keep looking.
    Last edited by mrzebra; March 4th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

hello
    I was upstairs plodding through all my herbal books , some history books of the americas , trying to find herb names etc. Some years ago I read the biographies of some of the authors like CM but I can not find his , he is from Cuba ?

I'm not sure where he is originally from, but I believe he lives in Los Angeles, California now.

I had an idea , suppose someone would order the palos online at the botanica or some yerberia what do the customs papers say ? I mean like plant herbs wood etc exports/imports have all sorts of rules so maybe Canada customs might know the latin names and all the common folk names of these palos. Customs usually has an enquiry tel nr for online shopping rules etc.
    Did you find something on the Cuban herb museum in Cienfuegos ? arboretum.harvard.edu/library had a piece about it
    One of the plants that sort of caught my eye is Cuban oregano maybe that is used in some of the baths ??
    Some years ago I was eyeing the bath book from CM.

I will keep looking. I'm traveling to LA next friday and I found a Santeria Botanica Shop by the hotel I'm staying at, so I'm going to go to that shop and see if they can tell me the what plants/trees they are.

I just found an article on that place.

I really like this book I have by him (Santeria Candles, Herbs, Incense, Oils). The only thing I wish he did was give more info on these Palos (like common or latin names). There are some typos in the book and I'm thinking Manga Sayas should be Manga Saya. I'm thinking it may be a type of Mango tree. lol.
    Last edited by mrzebra; March 4th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Hello
    I looked at the tree on the youtube video and tried searching images for perfumy trees with scaly bark , the ones I found had flowers and different leaf type. The leaf on his tree looked more like leaves on olive trees but a darker shade of green. Some people do call mangos manga. In one of the many creole/slave languages saya=skirt. The video with the small flowers looks like a sort of small flowered clematis but could be something else. Ehow.com has some short articles on cuban herbs.
    Enjoy your stay at LA have a safe journey , take care and happy shopping at the botanica.

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. I will post the remaining latin names once I find them.

Someone recommended this book

Guide to Afrocuban Herbalism by Dalia Quiros Moran

It looks like this may be a good book as long as it goes from A-Z.

hello
    I had found this one on amazon but reading the reviews some buyers posted that the second edition only goes A to D and D is not complete , the book misses a big section of pages. Only the first print is complete and goes A to Z . I tried barnes & noble , libris books etc but none of them have a first edition. Maybe a bookstore in LA might have it then you can see in person if it has all the pages. Over at amazon you can preview some sample pages of the A to C I was able to view , and read the reviews. Sample pages can not be copied but one can always take notes with pen & paper. Maybe a library might have a first edition you can borrow for a time. Best of luck. Have a good journey to LA. Greetings.
    Last edited by Morganite9Violet; March 7th, 2012 at 04:56 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast