Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Santeria Palos

hello again
    went looking for scented trees and came across a JStor article at http://www.schweitzer.wascoll.edu/et...g_Santeria.pdf they have some terms & conditions for their articles
    at the end there is an interesting book list , the herbs mentioned and the article itself contains interesting info to read .

Hello,

I did read those reviews on amazon and I'm kinda on the fence about buying it. There are 2 used copies of the first edition available for $78. I will see what I can find in LA first. I can't view the link you posted above....

hello
    my viewing history says no title http://schweitzer.washcoll.edu/ethno...g_Santeria.pdf

It is a grey rainy day so I missed an h in the link and yes 78 is a lot which you could use for other items , perhaps you will find it in LA somewhere ...

Where are you from? We just had a huge snow storm pass through and it dumped about a foot of snow yesterday. A lot of the businesses here in the city closed down because visibility was horrible and the roads were bad. I'm getting tired of snow and winter.

you ask me where I am from , well the answer to that one is not simple , as to where I live I am somewhere in Europe , northern country , also still winter here , I like looking at snow , last year I was reading about Canada ... herbs , landscape , history etc

hello
    found a list in spanish see www.santeria.fr/userfiles/file/botanica orishas esp.pdf
    even if you do not read spanish you can see the latin name matching the common name

found a Santeria book web version by Luis Nunez , see www.w3.iac.net/~moonweb/Santeria/About.html the link fails to open , ... google search luis nunez santeria and you can get it there

Cambia rumbo = Cupania C. cubensis / it is spelled with an o

Aceitunillo = Hufelandia pendula or Beilschmiedia pendula is 2 varieties of the pendula

the website www.folkcuba.com/index.asp sells all the palos and all sorts of supplies
    Last edited by Morganite9Violet; March 11th, 2012 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks for the info. I didn't find much out in LA. The occult store I went to had a list of Santeria herbs and Espanta Policia was not in her list. I tried ordering the first edition of that book off amazon.com but it hasn't shipped yet. I will keep looking.

hello
    How is the Canadian weather ? Spring is a bit warm in my area . There is a very old Ceiba tree in Vieques , Puerto Rico. I looked at some planting info of some of the tropical herbs , perhaps some could be grown as houseplants. One of the plants in the text had its latin name changed , an orchid , one single bulb retails for 13 euro , even my regular eu bulbs have a high failure rate so not going there. These days I am in the garden with the regular western herbs most things froze and died so starting over.

hello,
    The weather hasn't been the best. It was warming up nicely but it cooled down again. We got more snow the other day.

I think I found mangasaya:

mangasaya = Tournefortia hirsutissima

I found it on a list of endangered plants in Cuba. I'm anxiously awaiting the Afro-Cuban herbalism book (first edition) I ordered. The first edition is supposed to have all the herbs from A-Z, unlike the second edition which has A-D. Hopefully that will help with the last few remaining Palos.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast