Thread: Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

I'm from Texas originally, the bits pinned between Oklahoma and New Mexico to be specific. Having lived a gajillion other places so far, I can tell you that the Americanized Mexican food from that region differs from anyplace else in the states, and even Texas. This is a dish that I've seen other versions of, but they never quite match up to the insane goodness served up in most every Mexican restaurant around my old stomping grounds. Almost every woman in my family has a version of this recipe. Here I present to you my own.

• 1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
    • 10 oz green enchilada sauce
    • 1 cup sour cream
    • 10 oz red enchilada sauce
    • 8 oz water
    • corn tortillas
    • 10 oz shredded cheese (I use the Mexican blend in a bag. You can, of course, mix your own.)
    • 1 Tbsp chili powder
    • small can of green chilis (optional)
    • Oil as necessary
    Prep time: 2-3+ hours (most of it is waiting)
    Yield: 10-12 enchiladas
    1. In large saucepan, heat cooking oil over medium heat, about 3/4 of an inch deep. Add chili powder, and allow it to bloom until the oil has turned orangey-red, but before the chili powder burns.
    2. Add chicken pieces and stir until all pieces are coated in oil and chili powder and seared. Add red enchilada sauce and water.
    3. Decrease heat to medium low, cover pan, and allow to simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until cooked thoroughly and tender, stirring at regular intervals of 25-30 minutes to prevent sticking.
    4. When chicken is cooked, shred it in the pan and continue simmering uncovered until almost all of the liquid is gone. Stir every 15 minutes, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan, as it really wants to stick to the bottom and burn up at this point. Remove from heat and set the pan aside.
    5. Heat about 3/4 inch of oil in a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat.
    6. Fully submerge one tortilla into the hot oil using tongs, approximately 1-3 seconds.
    7. Place tortilla in a casserole dish along one side. Fill with cheese and chicken. Roll tortilla so that contents are secure and the seam of the enchilada is facing downwards.
    8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until casserole dish(es) are full.
    9. Mix green enchilada sauce with sour cream in a mixing bowl or tall glass until mixture is smooth. Mix in green chilis if desired. Now is a good time to preheat the oven to 375 F.
    10. Pour sauce over the enchiladas, then sprinkle copious amounts of cheese on top.
    11. Cover casserole dish(es) with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
    12. Remove foil and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes, or until enchiladas are bubbling and cheese is entirely melted.

These turn out incredibly tender, like falling apart tender. If you prefer your enchiladas to be less tender, use less sauce and a shorter bake time, and bake uncovered for duration.

Wish I had some pics for y'all, but these get eaten wayyy too fast. I would require a high speed photography setup to catch them before they're gone. (Joke. I just forget to document my food.)

NYC ChefWitch & food psycho
    Okay but, how can I take you seriously in the food department if your name is barfcookies?

I do love enchiladas though, so yummy.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by WitchJezebel View Post
    Okay but, how can I take you seriously in the food department if your name is barfcookies?

I do love enchiladas though, so yummy.
    OMG I was thinking that exact same thing.....

Deep Into My Writing
    LOVE the recipe!! Thanks for passing it along, I'm going to try it sometime!
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

Tasmania, Australia
    I make my own sour cream chicken enchies but I use a rotisserie chicken (saves cooking it!), salsa, a tin of cream of chicken soup, chilli powder, cheese, cream cheese and sour cream. They are AMAZING! If anyone wants my variation recipe I'll happily post it

The night walked down the sky with the moon in her hand...