Thread: Ask a Saivite

Ask a Saivite

As you may (or may not) know, I am a practitioner of Sanatana Dharma, and have chosen Saiva Dharma as my path of choice.

Saivism is the worship of Shiva as the Supreme form of God. His worship is old, one of the oldest sects in Hinduism, next to Shaktism. And even in Saivism, there are many sects. Some are monistic and others dualistic. I am a monist myself, and have been learning more and more about Kashmiri Saivism, which is a strictly monistic sect and has roots in Tantrika.

Also, I made this thread because the boards are slow and I want to make them fun. So, there ya go. Ask me about Saivism, Shiva, etc and what not.

Pranams

Selah
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Can the questions be personal?
    For example --

What is your favorite aspect of Shiva?
    How do you worship him?
    What drew you to Saivism, over the other Hindu sects?

Can the questions be personal?
    Sure!

What is your favorite aspect of Shiva?
    I don't know that I have a favorite aspect. Shiva is everything and in everyone, so all things are His "aspect" or "extension". But, if I had to choose, the form of the Yogi in meditation is my favorite.

How do you worship him?
    I'd like to worship Him the proper, traditional way, but right now I am confined to limited things. Linga puja is something I have done, and it can be as simple as making one from dirt or using a Linga-shaped stone from outside. I also chant His mantra Namah Shivaya and meditate. There are flowers and leaves that please Shiva as well, and of course none of them are near me, lol. I work with what is on hand, and try to remember that there were even Saivite saints who at first worshiped Shiva incompletely. I don't think He holds it against me, relying on what I have and Bhakti (love, devotions).

What drew you to Saivism, over the other Hindu sects?
    That's a good question. Over the years I was also drawn to Shaktism, but I kept coming back to Saivism because I fell in love with Shiva as soon as I learned about Him. Saivism is also monistic, well, some are, while others dualistic. Vaishnavism never sat right with me, because I strongly disagree with its views on Moksha (Vaikuntha, which is an eternal heaven; I believe Moksha is realization of our oneness with God, much like Advaita, though I am not Advaitain). Now, to be fair, some Saivites believe in Shivaloka as being a kind of Moksha as well.

I also didn't like the idea that Vishnu was different from us, which is dualism (not all Vaishnavs are strict dualists, however). It was bound to happen, I suppose, because I always felt a draw to Shiva, even more so then Sri Ganesh. I never really fell in love with Vishnu or Devi like I did with Shiva.

Kashmir Saivism is one of the oldest sects, and it is unfortunately falling into obscurity due to Islamic rule. But it believes that because Shiva is real, everything that comes from Shiva is real as well, not an illusion (that is how it differs from Advaita). Someday I want to visit a Shiva Mandir (temple) and learn how to worship Shiva properly

Hope that helped. If not, I'll clairify.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anyone else want to jump on the asking bandwagon? *poke poke*

Hi,
    I don't know a great deal about Saivites. So pardon my ignorance if my questions are silly. But I'm keen to learn more and hope you can answer them.
    I've heard that Siva spends most of his time in deep meditation and if you worship him he most likely won't hear you. And if you awake him from deep meditation his third eye will open and turn you to dust. And because of this there is certain times of the year that Siva worship is ment/not ment to be done. Is this true? If so what times of the year?
    Plus I've been told that to get close to Siva you have to first go through Kali. And Kali is almost like a gate keeper.
    In a less literal sense - Destroy your Ego (with Kali's help) and then you will be at one with god (Siva).??? What is your thoughts on this as a Saivite?

Namaste,

Sorry that I totally missed this. <_<

While it is true that some periods of worship are more inauspicious than others, I haven't heard that Shiva will not hear you because he is so deep in meditation. In reality, Shiva doesn't meditate, because He is that which we meditate on. So I wouldn't take it literally, it just seems like a belief held by different regions.

As for Kali, I would think it would be the other way around! While I've never heard that, I have heard that Nandi, His bull, is His gatekeeper, and that it is best to pray to Nandi first. Though, again, that doesn't seem to be a universally held belief. It rather sounds like a Tantric belief, really, though I can't prove that.

Thanks Hope I helped a little.

Shivoham

Thanks for the feedback. It was very insightful.