Thread: Portrait Line Art

Portrait Line Art

I like to use Illustrator to draw the faces of people I find in pretty poses. Here's one I finished recently!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aqua.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	113039
    Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

is offline Learning from Lifes Constant Lessons....
    I really like that.... great job. I don't use any computer programs to draw but would love to start. I have been researching programs to see which one I would like the best. For the meantime, I usually use charcoal, chalk or pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by SicilianRose View Post
    I really like that.... great job. I don't use any computer programs to draw but would love to start. I have been researching programs to see which one I would like the best. For the meantime, I usually use charcoal, chalk or pencils.
    Thank you! If you would ever like any input as to what to look into, I have plenty of experience in the Adobe area and know there is plenty of freeware for almost everything I use (vector, photo correction and color, etc). Do you happen to have any drawings posted on here that I could see? I looked at your profile but didn't see a photo album for artwork.
    Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

is offline Learning from Lifes Constant Lessons....
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackestLily View Post
    Thank you! If you would ever like any input as to what to look into, I have plenty of experience in the Adobe area and know there is plenty of freeware for almost everything I use (vector, photo correction and color, etc). Do you happen to have any drawings posted on here that I could see? I looked at your profile but didn't see a photo album for artwork.
    I would love that. Was there a particular reason as to why you favor Adobe? My husband has the complete adobe suite that includes illustrator without my knowing..... sigh men.....I am going to play with it some later this week when I have some time. I was thinking about downloading the trial for Corel Painter 12 and/or Corel Painter Sketch Pad. Have you tried them??

I have any digital copies currently. I will see about scanning and taking pics of some of my portfolio (for the ones that would smudge if scanned) so you can see. Once done, I will let you know.

It's only favored by me because it was what I learned on. Now that I know the Suite, I find it the easiest to use. (But of course that's just my bias.) I do like how everything moves seamlessly between the programs. For example if you wanted to add color to a drawing in Photoshop, it moves easily into Illustrator if you wanted to add type or other modifications. I can't say it's so easy for other programs.

I've used Corel a bit before, and know that it has a WONDERFUL set of brushes. Literally as many mediums as you can think of, there is a brush to represent it. But because I've learned Photoshop, I don't find Corel as intuitive with what I want it to do. So then typically I'll start off painting something in Corel...then just move it to Photoshop out of frustration! I'm a bit of a stubborn one though, so don't think my experience will be yours.