Thread: What if....

Sometimes I think I live in the dance studio.

What if....

The US Government stopped subsidising corn and started subsidising physical books with the same amount of money?

I can't say I'm an expert on the reasons behind corn being subsidised, however, from what I do know, this seems like a reasonable idea with many potential benefits.

On the not-subsidising-corn side:

1. Less high-fructose corn syrup and corn products in food. This could well lead to less obesity (and fewer corn allergies/sensitivities).
    2. It could potentially lead to a wider variety of food crops being grown. More diversity in what we eat is always good.
    3. Take that, Monsanto. That's all I have to say.

On the subsidising books side:

1. Books would be cheaper, leading to more people buying them, leading to more people reading them, leading to greater literacy rates.
    2. Physical bookstores and other kinds of retailers of physical books, which (I'm pretty sure) employ more people and at greater pay rates than corn farming does, would be able to create more jobs.
    3. Another good idea - subsidise books made from recycled paper at higher rates than books made from non-recycled paper. That could have serious environmental benefits.

Now, keep in mind, I'm just a teenager who doesn't really know much about how subsidies work. This is just how I see things, and I could well be wrong. But I just wanted to throw this idea out there and see what people thought.

Opinions?

You would have a well read group of people who were starving to death.

Corn subsidies have zero to do with corn syrup. Not to mention corn is used across the globe to feed people who might otherwise not have food.

People are reading more now that e-readers are so popular, but subsidizing physical books is no guarantee people will read more.

It should be noted that corn doesn't just feed people, it feeds livestock which in turn feeds us.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

My understanding is that almost every city has at least one public library. It makes no sense to subsidise books when people can borrow them for free already.

People are illiterate because they don't take the time to read, can't read, watch too much TV.

You want people to read more? Play all television shows in swahili and put the subtitles in english. If you did that with American Idol the reading rate for teenage America would jump 20 points.

Quote Originally Posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
    You want people to read more? Play all television shows in swahili and put the subtitles in english. If you did that with American Idol the reading rate for teenage America would jump 20 points.
    Sad but true.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Hm.

Quote Originally Posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
    My understanding is that almost every city has at least one public library. It makes no sense to subsidise books when people can borrow them for free already.
    I don't know what is happening where you are... but in my hometown... libraries are in big trouble. i.e. some are closing entirely and others are cutting back on their hours and days open.

Why wouldn't corn subsidies have anything to do with corn syrup? Isn't that what it's... made from...?