Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Artemis / Diana - Depictions in the nude

is offline To Far Blue Mountains and Shores I Go
    Quote Originally Posted by CaeruleusLady View Post
    I didn't mean to imply her protection was all-inclusive. I think most female dieties have a "bad side" at times. I wont say all, but I haven't read about or encountered one who hasn't had a "bad side" to get on.
    I'd agree with that. Not a position i'd care to test that's for sure.

Yeah, I get kind of annoyed when people act like goddesses are all super moms, who are only ever benevolent, well-meaning, and charming, like a Stepford wife. Certainly hasn't been my experience.
    "Bubble, bubble, toil, and trouble, the sheep in the fields, the cow in the corn."
    "The past is like a fish. You can't change it."

Check out my shop on Etsy:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HoodedCrowCrafts?ref=si_shop

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    Also Theres its good to see you back or at least checking in. I've really missed our conversations on Hekate / Hecate and your thoughs on her.
    yeah, it's good to see you too.

good to hear you've added a few more coins. the Artemis i got is from Syracuse, 4th century BC. i wanted one for some time now, and it came to me through particularly odd circumstances. here's a crappy scan;
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gal...php?pos=-78625

if you look to Pherai in Thessaly, or Stratonikea in Caria you will find coins of Hekate. try searching under 'Ennodia' also.
    i have a few but none i really love... yet.

anyway, you mentioned the Ephesan Artemis earlier, sometimes known as 'Many-Breasted'. but Burkert suggests these might not be breasts at all, but bull testicles, or offering sacks (usually bladders), or acorns, etc. in fact if yu look close each row may even be different.
    thoughts?
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaeruleusLady View Post
    Yeah, I get kind of annoyed when people act like goddesses are all super moms, who are only ever benevolent, well-meaning, and charming, like a Stepford wife. Certainly hasn't been my experience.
    nor mine!
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

is offline To Far Blue Mountains and Shores I Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Theres View Post
    yeah, it's good to see you too.

good to hear you've added a few more coins. the Artemis i got is from Syracuse, 4th century BC. i wanted one for some time now, and it came to me through particularly odd circumstances. here's a crappy scan;
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gal...php?pos=-78625

if you look to Pherai in Thessaly, or Stratonikea in Caria you will find coins of Hekate. try searching under 'Ennodia' also.
    i have a few but none i really love... yet.

anyway, you mentioned the Ephesan Artemis earlier, sometimes known as 'Many-Breasted'. but Burkert suggests these might not be breasts at all, but bull testicles, or offering sacks (usually bladders), or acorns, etc. in fact if yu look close each row may even be different.
    thoughts?
    That's a nice coin. I don't have that one but have one of the earlier ΑΓΑΘΟΚΛΕΟΣ−ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ type I picked up fairly cheap on VAuctions sometime back. I'll definately have to start paying closer attention now. They show up occasionally but I haven't paid that close of attention to them.

The idea of those items being bulls testicles does make a lot of sense to me, especially given the fertility / fecundity aspect of the temple. Then when you consider just how close it is to the Taurian Artemis' area of influence and the Cyeblee (sp) and the castration of her priests it seems to support that concept. Yet I've never seen it propossed but one day I happened to be looking at an image and saw it next to a bee's hive and honey comb layout and I swear it looked real similiar. That made a lot of sense to me when you consider the importance Bee keeping had there at Ephesus / Ephesos. Yet if you considered the sacks option that would fit with the honey cone structure and the nipple like seal that is placed over each chamber.

What's interesting to me is you see the one image all the time but some of the other images I've seen that were associated to Ephesos / Ephesus also had the various protrusions though they were laid out in different patterns. Some like a multi level necklace about the upper torso on one while on another it was almost like a chest plate or shield that was centered on the chest area of the statue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2