Thread: Hephaestus Books Publishing

is offline To Far Blue Mountains and Shores I Go

Hephaestus Books Publishing

I was doing some general searching to update my books wanted list and I happened to come across a number of books with the publisher listed as Hephaestus Books. What made it so intersting was that the price for these items ranged from 15.00 on the low end to 75 on the high end. Now even that was not as unusual to me as the warnings that went with each one. Specifically

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Hephaestus Books represents a new publishing paradign, allowing disparate content sources to be curated into cohesive, relevent, and informative books. To date, this content has been curated from Wikipedia articles and images under creative commons licensing, although as Hephaestud Books continues to increase in scope and dimension,more licensed and public domain content is being added..
    So what do you think of this idea? From a scholary perspective I know Wikipedia is not an allowable or accept source document. Then factor in that none of the material has to be proved or even accurate nor submitted to any sort of quality control. I just see this as another example of the proliferation of erroneous material and information.

Are these e-books, or actual hard copies? I'd be scared if it were the latter. But I agree. This is exactly that--a proliferation of bovine fecal matter under the guise of "resource". It's the laziest thing.
    ---

[you have been visited by a heliotrope]

[hi]

is offline To Far Blue Mountains and Shores I Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    Are these e-books, or actual hard copies? I'd be scared if it were the latter. But I agree. This is exactly that--a proliferation of bovine fecal matter under the guise of "resource". It's the laziest thing.
    I've come across a couple of places where their sold as physcial books but a couple of other places talks about them being print of demand (POD) books. In truth I didn't follow it up much beyond that after I started to find they were wikipedia based for the most part.

There's other publishers that basically re-print Wiki articles.
    Some others are: Alphascript and Betascript Publishing, VDM Publishing, etc
    Some of these charge well over $100. They're basically scams.

So what do you think of this idea?
    I dislike it. I think they're scams and worthless, wastes of paper.
    I suppose people get fooled and they still make money. I'd never fall for their scam, though.
    As you said, Wiki isn't always accepted as a source and I doubt these books are pulling snippets of info from legit resources. If someone wants to know about a topic, doing a simple Google search would pull up more information than these books, I'm sure.

Here's an example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Angels-Frederi...856890&sr=1-24
    47$ for that!

ETA: I don't like how they're using Hephaestus' name either. I mean, Hephaestus made his own works of art, he didn't rip them off from others. Hermes Publishing would make more sense, only because Hermes does have a trickster side.
    Last edited by Agaliha; May 1st, 2012 at 03:32 AM.