Thread: Feeling uncomfortable in my own home

Feeling uncomfortable in my own home

Ok so i bought this house 6mnths or so ago, old thing thats been on the site for 50-ish years but noone can tell me where it was before that. It used to be a student house where there were alot of parties but no news of anyone ever having either serious injury or dying there. I bought a sage smudge stick (not that i know what to do with it) as my boarder and i have had enough of the weird feelings/things that keep happening eg. pepperpot flying across the kitchen at us, whispers in the hallway, feeling somone put their hands on your shoulders when down in the basement/laundry... the list goes on. We've tried asking them to leave, we've tried ignoring it. Time to use the smudge stick? Or does anyone have any other advice for me?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ever mind the rule of three, three times what thou givest returns to thee, this lesson well, thou must learn, thee only gets what thou dost earn"
    Karakia Tïmatanga
    Whiti ora ki te whei ao
    ki te ao märama.
    Whiti ki runga, whiti ki raro.
    E ngungu ki te pöhatu
    e ngungu ki te räkau
    tïtaha ki tënei taha
    tïtaha ki tërä taha.
    Tihei mauriora.

tēnā koutou

Hello!
    A lot of times things can be explained by mundane means, though the hands on the shoulders, flying pots, and the whispering you are experiencing definitely warrants further investigation, though it doesn't sound like you need to be fearful. They might just be trying to get your attention because they want to communicate. How old is your house? Have you done any research on it's history? Libraries usually have quite a bit of information, and librarians can be very, very helpful at helping you dig things up or pointing you in the right direction (historians, etc.). That is a good place to start. Also, you can take a look at http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/groups.htm for ghost hunting groups in your area (I've never heard of one that charges $$ for an investigation, so be very, very wary if they do ...) who usually welcome the opportunity to investigate.

Outside of that, realize that most spirits are just like you and me, human. This is YOUR home, and you can claim it as such. My experience is that spirits are usually pretty friendly and need not be feared. I've run into a few that have issues respecting boundaries - they're just like any human being who has that issue. It's YOUR house, if they refuse to play nice, tell 'em to leave, just like you would anyone else.

On the sage smudge stick, sage is generally considered to be purifying and protective. When burned, the smoke carries harmful energy away from the home. To smudge, make sure to leave a door open, light the smudge stick, making sure to have something fireproof that will catch the embers/sparks that fall, and waft the smudge stick from that door counter clockwise around the inside of your home, ending back at the door (or you can start from the opposite end of the home, ending at the open door. The counterclockwise motion is symbolic to me, so I do that, you'll find your own preferences). It's sort of like using the smoke as a broom to sweep energies out of the home, hence the open door (plus, sage smudge sticks put off a LOT of smoke, and they don't have the most pleasing smell in the world. They smell a lot better when combined with lavender or sweet grass). While doing this, you can say something like "All that is harmful must go, all that is beneficial may stay". I always include a blessing at the end of it as a friend told me years ago, nature doesn't exist in a vacuum, if you remove something, better fill it with something you want there or nature will fill it for you.

A little story to put you at ease: My home was built in 1937, and the original owner lived there until 1999. Shortly after we moved in, my son, who was 7 at the time, woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me a man was in his room. Huh, what?! The man wasn't there anymore when I went to his room with him. I asked him if he was afraid, he said he wasn't, and I told him he could ask the man for his name and what he wanted, and that if he was ever afraid, he could tell him to leave. Over the next few months Luke (my son) began to tell me about RJ, the man in his room. Turns out the original owner of the house, Ralph J. Muffet, liked to go by "RJ". I was able to confirm some things with a neighbor who had known him and had been his employer for most of his life. Luke is now 18, and still sees and talks with RJ from time to time. I've seen RJ twice, and Luke's girlfriend has seen him once. He seems to like children, and is always peaceful. He's welcome in our home.

Blessings to you
    ~Heather
    "Problems can never be solved by using the same pattern of thought which created them." ~Albert Einstein
    "Though they are fine to see, horses frighten me because they are large and weak minded, which is a dangerous combination in horses, men and gods." ~Confessions of a Pagan Nun, by Kate Horsely

Wow, thanks There has only been afew times we have felt scared in the house, like when i was playing with my puppy in the hall afew mnths ago and then i heard someone say 'Psst!! Emma!" about three times, getting louder each time. My pup heard it to as he whimpered and ran downstairs. Apart from our dreamcatchers being jingled in the night there hasn't been much happening lately just more that feeling thart someone else is in the house. Cheers for the advice Heather Very much appreciated
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ever mind the rule of three, three times what thou givest returns to thee, this lesson well, thou must learn, thee only gets what thou dost earn"
    Karakia Tïmatanga
    Whiti ora ki te whei ao
    ki te ao märama.
    Whiti ki runga, whiti ki raro.
    E ngungu ki te pöhatu
    e ngungu ki te räkau
    tïtaha ki tënei taha
    tïtaha ki tërä taha.
    Tihei mauriora.

tēnā koutou

Hope it helped! Curious to know if you make contact or how it goes
    "Problems can never be solved by using the same pattern of thought which created them." ~Albert Einstein
    "Though they are fine to see, horses frighten me because they are large and weak minded, which is a dangerous combination in horses, men and gods." ~Confessions of a Pagan Nun, by Kate Horsely