Thread: Negative energy

Negative energy

Can negative energy come from a tarot deck? Iīve been feeling some negative vibes in my room so I cleansed my deck and then put it into a spongebag and left it in my car because I just have this feeling that I donīt want it in the apartment anymore, has anyone else had a feeling about negative energy from a deck?

Anything can absorb negative energy.

Thankfully, tarot decks are super easy to "cleanse". Just rap the deck HARD on a solid surface. This will shake off any energetic cling-ons. Unless of course YOU are the source of the negativity, in which case you need to take a look at yourself and deal with that, or you'll just keep recontaminating the deck.
    The Sexy Heathen Babe

thank u very much! It actually helped cleaning out my room and the stuff in it, the negativity isīno near as present as it was before

I've had a couple of times after readings that the deck I used actually felt grimy sticky. So yeah, they can absorb like anything else. I like to keep a clear quarts in my box or bag with my deck to absord anything floating around.

Vig is right though, a sharp knock on a hard surface works best. I do that before and after every reading.

Now I'm a little nuts in that I prefer to use something natural as my surface but that isn't necessary.

Whatever the source or specific tool used, all divination is ultimately based on mapping esoteric energies into a readable form. It's assumed that the cards, runes, tea leaves etc. are following some other influence. Whether that influence is the reader's psychic powers, some outside spirit or god, or some nebulous will of the universe doesn't matter. All divination assumes that some Influence exists and the cards (or whatever) are sensitive to it. So to complain that a tarot deck has negative energy is like complaining that a used towel is wet and dirty. That absorptive property is why you keep it around.

That said, there are things you can do to keep your divination tools "clean" between uses.

Isolation: Certain materials are reputed to have magical properties that act as an "insulator," the best known of which is silk. Wrapping the deck in a silk cloth or storing it in a silk lined box will keep stray influences from affecting it. Ironically, the much less expensive polyester shares this property to some degree, though its synthetic origin makes it less desirable for purists. Plastics in general tend to be magically "dead" which makes them largely useless for talismans, but excellent insulators. The container the tool is kept in can also be inscribed with symbols, runes or spells for protection and isolation.

Absorption/grounding: A psychically "dirty" tool can be cleansed by drawing out the negativity. Salt and smoky quartz both absorb negative energy as will a shallow burial in earth or bathing in moonlight. This isn't really purifying though. It's just maintenance, the psychic equivalent of changing the oil and spark plugs in your car. For the "OMG the engine just fell out" level of corruption where you're afraid to keep the deck in your room anymore, you'll need:

Reconsecration: The actual spell or ritual used will vary according to the skills and traditions of the individual, but basically, the tool is flooded with energy, burning away and overwhelming all other magic. Simply leaving the deck out in the moonlight won't accomplish this (though it might be included in the ritual.) You'll have to follow or create a spell specifically designed to reset the tool and imprint your desire to use it for divination.

I knocked my decks on the kitchen table today and I keep them in a fabricbag out in my car because I some how donīt want them in the house, I have them here today just over the day and the negative thoughts iīve had and so disapeared when I did this :S