Thread: Very confused about what Tarot is telling me !!!

Question Very confused about what Tarot is telling me !!!

Hello all,

I am a newbie on Tarot and recently started learning. I am currently studying all the cards interpretations and I find it fascinating and I know readings in the past were so accurate that I truly believe it works.

I have read that since it is a "divination" method, and the word "divination" comes from "divine" it is actually a way to communicate with the spiritual realm. Based on the fact that I was raised thinking divination was an evil tool, I am having some issues to relate divination to divine messages, but I am working on that.

In the past weeks I have got readings ( made for me by someone else more experienced ) using the Thoth deck. I was shocked about how well they presented people and situations in my life, with perfect descriptions even on my own personality, background and the people around.

But there is something that is making me confused. The Tarot keeps presenting a person and a situation that while I sense is there and the person does exist, I have no current interaction that could lead to what the cards say it is happening and going to happen. It is really bizarre, it is like getting told : you are going to be very involved with this person ( you do not have even met yet personally ) he is going to be very important. Then I ask for a reading providing the name of that person I sense it is him, and I am in his reading too. The description of a card that is also very important to him fits me in a scary way. I also have to say all this comes out in the first reading, no duplicate until I hear what I want, it is always in the first try.

I just wanted to know if in some way, your subconscious could affect what the cards are telling you, so you hear what you want to hear or think you should hear, or if cards are completely independent of what we think, wish or imagine. The recent readings have been pretty intense, filled with symbolism and sound like a cosmic advisor is telling me things of my life with precise details and even preparing me for the future events. This accuracy and deep readings are here since I started my Wiccan path.

I know that things the cards say are not written in stone, but what amazes me is how could they see so specifically situations and persons who I have not even met in person yet ? I know who they might be talking about, but the chances of meeting are not that high at least currently... not sure also how long in time the cards can see the future ( one year ? more ? )

Very confused here... would love some responses to the above...

BB
    Firefly.

Hi there. Just a few points here.

1) Divining doesn't necessarily involve Divinity. Atheists can read tarot just fine.

2) Divination looks at patterns, past, present and future. So the future being foretold is based on the pattern holding. While it might not make sense that a given person is in your future, something is going on now that means this is the likely outcome

3) Divination can get very confusing when it starts bringing up things your aren't consciously aware of. Even though you aren't aware if it, it can still have a profound (or negligible or in-between) impact on your life. So treat the reading as a sign post and start looking around, taking stock of all aspects of the situation. Even things you previously wrote off as inconsequential.

4) The reason it's so hard for people to read for themselves is that they have a hard time NOT filtering the reading through their own bias. Reading your post, this seems to be very much the case for you and more importantly that your wants seem conflicted.

You can always post a picture of your spread and ask for a second opinion. Just make sure to include what the card positions mean as well as EXACTLY what question was asked.
    Last edited by Vigdisdotter; July 17th, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
    The Sexy Heathen Babe

Quote Originally Posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
    Hi there. Just a few points here.

1) Divining doesn't necessarily involve Divinity. Atheists can read tarot just fine.

2) Divination looks at patterns, past, present and future. So the future being foretold is based on the pattern holding. While it might not make sense that a given person is in your future, something is going on now that means this is the likely outcome

3) Divination can get very confusing when it starts bringing up things your aren't consciously aware of. Even though you aren't aware if it, it can still have a profound (or negligible or in-between) impact on your life. So treat the reading as a sign post and start looking around, taking stock of all aspects of the situation. Even things you previously wrote off as inconsequential.

4) The reason it's so hard for people to read for themselves is that they have a hard time NOT filtering the reading through their own bias. Reading your post, this seems to be very much the case for you and more importantly that your wants seem conflicted.

You can always post a picture of your spread and ask for a second opinion. Just make sure to include what the card positions mean as well as EXACTLY what question was asked.
    These are all great points. I read the Tarot as a peak behind the curtain. It brings things into awareness that need to be seen, and it provides different routes of thinking when you're stuck in your own bias.

I suggest posting a picture of the spread. The cards have a great deal of meaning depending on position, relationship to the other cards in the spread, intuition, and the question being asked. What card do you think keeps pointing towards a specific person?

--Kaos
    “Nothing alive is the same from moment to moment. To live is to face the unknown over and over again.“

Thanks for your responses, very useful indeed.

The reading was not made by me, but by someone else reading for me, and funny enough, I did not made a specific question, I just said : tell me what I need to know. Normally I do not do specific questions but prefer to receive the message I need to receive. I am not experienced in Tarot so I had another person do the reading for me so I guess the results could not be that partial.

I do not have a pic of the spread but I noted the cards and supposed meaning according to the reader. Maybe I could PM this info if acceptable... if so, let me know, I would also prefer a response via PM

Thanks again !!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly Dancer View Post
    Thanks for your responses, very useful indeed.

The reading was not made by me, but by someone else reading for me, and funny enough, I did not made a specific question, I just said : tell me what I need to know. Normally I do not do specific questions but prefer to receive the message I need to receive. I am not experienced in Tarot so I had another person do the reading for me so I guess the results could not be that partial.

I do not have a pic of the spread but I noted the cards and supposed meaning according to the reader. Maybe I could PM this info if acceptable... if so, let me know, I would also prefer a response via PM

Thanks again !!
    You can send them to me. I will take a look.

--Kaos
    “Nothing alive is the same from moment to moment. To live is to face the unknown over and over again.“

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly Dancer View Post
    am not experienced in Tarot so I had another person do the reading for me so I guess the results could not be that partial.
    Actually they can be, since it's still a matter of dealing with you. As a reader I don't rely solely on my OWN intuition, but also the quarients as I make a connection with them. And as I talk to the quarient, the person I'm reading for is giving me feed back. More then a few times the person I read for came to a conclusion that was very different from what I was seeing, but they wouldn't hear differently.

In any event, whether you're reading for yourself or being read for by someone else, monitoring yourself and figuring out what is relevant vs. what is wishful thinking is a very important part of the process.
    The Sexy Heathen Babe