Thread: Where online can I purchase really good patchouli or apple/cinnamon insense?

Where online can I purchase really good patchouli or apple/cinnamon insense?

Hi guys,

I love burning incense, but I don't think I have a shop nearby that sells it? So I'm looking for places online that sell affordable, but good quality sticks. I live in Canada so shipping is also something to keep in mind. Would love to hear your suggestions

you might try www.azuregreen.com

Thank you!

Azure Green is suspect at best if you want actual patchouli. Personally, I think they are suspect for anything, but that's another topic. There are tons of quality patchouli incense on the market. Mermade Arts has sent me some amazing patchouli incense. Shoyeido has many blends that contain generous amounts of patchouli. Essence of the Ages can certainly supply you with great patchouli (tell 'em Carl sent you). It's also a snap to make your own:

1/2 tsp powdered sandalwood (or other wood) powder
    5 tsp powdered patchouli (using properly fermented patchouli from an herbal supplier, not patchouli from your garden)
    1/4 tsp guar gum (or gum tragacanth or xanthan gum - all avalable in most grocery stores - look in the gluten free section if you don't find it in bulk foods)

Mix the three powders together and add a little water (roughly 1 tablespoon, but adjust as needed to get the right consistency). Mix until you have a mixture that is roughly like cookie dough or stiff playdough. You can then roll sticks, cones, cylinders, or any other shape you want. Don't like rolling by hand? Using a rolling pin to roll out your dough into a rectangle. Then use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut thin strips. Instant incense sticks!

Let it dry for a few days and you will have awesome patchouli incense that you crafted yourself. It really is easy. Give me a shout if you have any problems or questions!

-Carl
    Author of

Incense Magick: Create Inspiring Aromatic Experiences for Your Craft (ISBN 978-0738719740)
    Incense: Crafting & Use of Magickal Scents (ISBN 0738703362)
    and
    The Magick Toolbox: The ultimate compendium for choosing & using ritual implements and magickal tools (ISBN 1578633249)

http://www.incensebooks.com

Nippon Kodo also has very good incense: http://www.nipponkodo.com
    ~~ Daughter of Bast-Mut; Follower of Bast-Mut, Amun-Ra, & Khonsu ~~
    ~ Druid-ish Kemetic, affiliated with Kemetic Orthodoxy and O.B.O.D. ~
    ~~ Member of the #MarriageMilitia ~~

Quote Originally Posted by moon81goddess View Post
    Nippon Kodo also has very good incense: http://www.nipponkodo.com
    Nippon Kodo is a great company as long as you aware of their 2 different "faces". They sell inexpensive lines (like their well-known Morning Star line) but those are synthetic. My assumption was that ChasingRabbits was interested in altar incense which would need to be natural. Nippon Kodo does sell excellent higher-end incense that is natural and they have a line of kodo supplies such as charcoal, ash, mica plates, etc. for those who wish to burn loose incense, nerikoh, or other forms of non-combuting incense. Those product lines are a lot harder to find in stores but I'm confident that you can order them from their website or some of the better incense sites.

The Nippon Kodo incense you typically see in stores (Morning Star in the rectangular boxes) is synthetic so not something I would burn on my altar, but I do keep several boxes of it for mundane purposes. As synthetics go, I find it to be mild and generally agreeable. Patchouli is in the brown box as I recall - it has a nice scent but honestly it smells absolutely nothing like genuine patchouli.

-Carl
    Last edited by The Incense Dragon; October 23rd, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
    Author of

Incense Magick: Create Inspiring Aromatic Experiences for Your Craft (ISBN 978-0738719740)
    Incense: Crafting & Use of Magickal Scents (ISBN 0738703362)
    and
    The Magick Toolbox: The ultimate compendium for choosing & using ritual implements and magickal tools (ISBN 1578633249)

http://www.incensebooks.com