Thread: A Meditation on Appreciating the Food We Eat

A Meditation on Appreciating the Food We Eat

I just want to say that we as people don't appreciate our food. We take for granted its life giving and life sustaining power. I mean, it's amazing when you think about it. But people don't think about it. So, I would like to share a meditation I do before eating that really makes me feel like I am really giving thanks for my food every time I eat it.

I sit at my dining table, not on the couch, or the floor, or the recliner. I sit at the table designated for eating, because that automatically makes it an altar for your food. It's already dedicated to that purpose, so I just began using it for the purpose it was intended.

I sit, and I hold my food, or container of food, in my hands, and I close my eyes. I picture where the food came from, if it's meat what animal, if it's fruit, what kind of tree or plant? I'm not talking about thanking Stouffer's for your frozen lasagna either. I mean real honest to Gods food. I picture the food coming to maturity, and giving its life source for my nourishment. Then, I meditate on the positive life sustaining energy I am about to receive from this food, and I picture it forming a ball in front of me. A weightless ball of positive energy floating over the table, and when I feel it is done forming in my mind, I send it out into the rest of my home, and I imagine it dispersing all over the house, so that positive energy is spreading everywhere. Then I eat the food. I find that I enjoy my food more, I notice it. How it tastes, how it feels in my hands, and how it smells. I really focus on my senses and how this food influences each sense. It's very calming actually.
    "You know those shows that chronicle drug addicts and show how desperate they get? I'm like that with coffee. I go in with pennies saying, "how much will this get me??" With a desperate look in my eyes. They usually laugh until I start tapping the veins in my arm."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thee I invoke, by the moonlit sea, by the standing stone and the twisted tree. )O(

"If it absolutely, has to be destroyed overnight: US Marines."

Quote Originally Posted by thyself View Post
    I just want to say that we as people don't appreciate our food. We take for granted its life giving and life sustaining power. I mean, it's amazing when you think about it. But people don't think about it. So, I would like to share a meditation I do before eating that really makes me feel like I am really giving thanks for my food every time I eat it.

I sit at my dining table, not on the couch, or the floor, or the recliner. I sit at the table designated for eating, because that automatically makes it an altar for your food. It's already dedicated to that purpose, so I just began using it for the purpose it was intended.

I sit, and I hold my food, or container of food, in my hands, and I close my eyes. I picture where the food came from, if it's meat what animal, if it's fruit, what kind of tree or plant? I'm not talking about thanking Stouffer's for your frozen lasagna either. I mean real honest to Gods food. I picture the food coming to maturity, and giving its life source for my nourishment. Then, I meditate on the positive life sustaining energy I am about to receive from this food, and I picture it forming a ball in front of me. A weightless ball of positive energy floating over the table, and when I feel it is done forming in my mind, I send it out into the rest of my home, and I imagine it dispersing all over the house, so that positive energy is spreading everywhere. Then I eat the food. I find that I enjoy my food more, I notice it. How it tastes, how it feels in my hands, and how it smells. I really focus on my senses and how this food influences each sense. It's very calming actually.
    Bold and broad statement to say that people don't appreciate where their food comes from. As an ex chef and kitchen witch, trust me - I know where my food comes from and it's life giving energy. I applaud your pre-meal meditation yet it's not much different than saying "grace" or a small prayer of thanks prior to eating and many people do that. I myself have my own ritual whilst preparing a meal as well as prior to eating it.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10