Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for more Pagan reading material

Looking for more Pagan reading material

Hello, recently I have been wanting to read some more materials into Pagan practices. So far I have read Wicca and Living Wicca by Scott Cunningham, as well as Celtic Magic by DJ Conway and Celtic Myth and Magic by Edain McCoy. I feel these texts have given me a solid structural foundation as far as the basic ideas and concepts go in this field, however I am looking to absorb as much information as possible so I can have a large pool to filter what works and makes sense to me into whatever path I end up deciding to follow. I should note that I am looking for material aimed at solitary practice. I am not really focused on one set of ideas at this point so any suggestions are very welcome. Any materials that include references to topics such as incense, color symbolism and the like are a plus, although it would be great if I could find some that include the reasoning behind why certain things are used for a purpose (for example, not just listing that yellow is a great candle color for divination but actually providing some insight as to how it came to be accepted as such). Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated.

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    read The Iliad. nothing more Pagan than that.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Truthfully i'd take everything by DJ Conway or Edain McCoy and dump it in the trash and hope I could do a data dump of my mind. Both are not exactly highly regarded for truth or actual practice by most I know of in the Pagan community. In many ways as bad as Silver Ravenwolf.

It looks like your aiming at the Celtic culture so i'd suggest reading actual scholary works on the Celts. Especially understanding that there is no universal way of doing things in Celtic culture as its a language group so the actual practices varried from people to people and area to area. I'd also suggest you focus upon a given area and read the lore and stories of that area. Ironically it seems the majority of "Celtic" stuff in neo-practices is acutally Irish in origin so I'd suggest the invasion stories or their mythic stories as it gives a lot of detail and history of who is whom.

With regards to correspondences and such that's more difficult to state. A lot of stuff in the Western Mystery traditions is derived from Ceremonial and High Magics. As such you'd have to read those things and search the various historical grimores. The other thing is that correspondences and directions also are very influenced by ones own practices and locations, making it more difficult to give a universal one size fits all answer.

Depending upon which pantheon your focusing upon i'd recommend you read things like the Edda's and Saga's for Nordic / Teutonic influences, many of the classic stories from the Med basin for Roman and Greek centered pantheons.

BUt an acutal reading list is more difficult not knowing exactly what it is your seeking in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    Truthfully i'd take everything by DJ Conway or Edain McCoy and dump it in the trash and hope I could do a data dump of my mind. Both are not exactly highly regarded for truth or actual practice by most I know of in the Pagan community. In many ways as bad as Silver Ravenwolf.
    agreed on avoiding them. despite the fact that i chatted with Conway 15 years ago. from the chat i had with her. she has some knowledge BUT she used her own systems and instead of saying so she said these were ancient customs. not to mention adding hogwash to some or most of the books. one person said do not hrow those books away. you need something to craft paper-mache items from don't you. SilverRavenwolf i never met or talked with. one of her underlings i did. and from the talk with her most of the stuff in her books doesn't even resemble the system The Black Forest clan employs. McCoy does not bother to research properly. like ancient potato dieties of Ireland(despite the fact that the potato is native to South america and was not introduced to Ireland to about mid to late 16th century. then of course she has her Witta which is supposed to be ancient Irish. despite the fact that Witta is German/norse word.

It looks like your aiming at the Celtic culture so i'd suggest reading actual scholary works on the Celts. Especially understanding that there is no universal way of doing things in Celtic culture as its a language group so the actual practices varried from people to people and area to area. I'd also suggest you focus upon a given area and read the lore and stories of that area. Ironically it seems the majority of "Celtic" stuff in neo-practices is acutally Irish in origin so I'd suggest the invasion stories or their mythic stories as it gives a lot of detail and history of who is whom.
    Well Celtic culture is divided into many areas. major ones being Irish,Manx,Cornish,Scottish,English and Welsh. i do agree most "celtic"stuff is Irish in orgin and to a lesser extent Welsh.

With regards to correspondences and such that's more difficult to state. A lot of stuff in the Western Mystery traditions is derived from Ceremonial and High Magics. As such you'd have to read those things and search the various historical grimores. The other thing is that correspondences and directions also are very influenced by ones own practices and locations, making it more difficult to give a universal one size fits all answer.

Depending upon which pantheon your focusing upon i'd recommend you read things like the Edda's and Saga's for Nordic / Teutonic influences, many of the classic stories from the Med basin for Roman and Greek centered pantheons.

BUt an acutal reading list is more difficult not knowing exactly what it is your seeking in my opinion.
    agreed. you would have to give us more info on what you want. then someone here can help you properly.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

In general I'd just say read everything you can get your hands on, but take all of it, even highly recommended texts, with a grain of salt at least. (If not a whole shakerfull.) Take time to reflect on what you've read, really tear it apart piece by piece. Spiritual matters are strange, but there is a logic and a sense to them, if something is nonsensical throw it out.

Read scholarly works, too. Histories, compilations of mythical tales, anthropological works. I'm currently in the middle of a Ronald Hutton book about pre-Christian European religious practices, for example. I've read Bullfinch's and Edith Hamilton's respective Mythologies cover to cover repeatedly, and a whole lot of Joseph Campbell books on archetypes and myth, as well as a few books on Norse mythology and archaeology whose titles I no longer recall. Your local library has more than you could ever dream of when it comes to magic and paganism, it's just very rarely labelled as such. My focus was largely on Norse and mainland European mythologies, but there were in my public library a plethora of books on Celtic culture and mythology. I am sure that there are as many at your library.

Also getting into the classics of occultism will help you immensely if you practice magick in any way. Agrippa's Occult Philosophy is the seminal work on the matter, although a modern reading shows that much of what he worked on was an attempt to understand phenomena science has sufficiently explained nowadays. Wicca itself derives in large part from early 20th century occultism, though, so an understanding of the Golden Dawn, hermeticism, and a passing familiarity with the works of Aleister Crowley would probably make some things startlingly clear. Depending on your tastes, Dion Fortune is a wonderful read. And Israel Regardie.

You can also do a search on the internet for various pagan blogs. Patheos has quite a few of them, and some of the members of this site keep very nice blogs.

And in amongst all of that reading, do not forget to actually experiment with what you're learning in practical terms. IE all that reading is useless if you do nothing with it. If you've read Cunningham, you know enough to start having your own private rites, you should know how to cast a circle and what parts go into ritual and how to pull it all off. So go ahead and get on widdit. Practice is at least as important as theory.
    Last edited by barfcookies; August 29th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.

First I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to give me their input I really found all of your comments helpful. One thing in particular I agree with is that I should have been a little more specific into exactly what kind of materials I am aiming towards reading. I tried to use Pagan in a broad sense relating to polytheistic and ritual practices. Given how many different branches there are to read into since the dawn of recorded history I can see how it might be hard for you to recommend specific materials for me . I do have a Celtic bent but I am also highly interested in pretty much anything including Greco-Roman, Nordic and even how humans practiced spirituality in Babylonian era times. I really do not believe that one certain path or way of thinking is the "proper" way to do things for myself so I am just looking for a variety of influences to sort through.

As to the criticism of Conway and McCoy's works I have read similar reviews before and it did not surprise me to hear it again. I have to agree that in the books I have read it seems they are implying that their system was how the ancients used to do it and if you do a little research it is not to hard to conclude they just created something of their own and passed it off as "authentic". One of the things I enjoyed about Cunningham's work was that he in my opinion made a very good effort at explaining that there have been so many systems of belief in the world that is it best to focus on what feels right to you and not get so bogged down in the uniform way of doing things. I also found his work to be very solid in a practical sense especially for those who have no experience or understanding into the subject before they read his book. I have seen Cunningham has written books that have looked interesting but I have never got around to buying which were his "Complete Guide to Oils, Incenses and Brews", "Crystal Gem & Metal Magic" and "Earth, Air, Fire & Water", if anyone could give me feedback on these books or recommend any other established references elsewhere I would appreciate that a lot.

On a final note, I am also interested in finding good sources of reading for Sabbat and Esbat themes. I live in Central Illinois here in the US so the Celtic Wheel of the Year is something I can relate to as I get all the seasons here. The books I have only go into very basics about the meaning and symbolism behind these days and since there is so much material online it would be nice to have something generally accepted to refer to when I am working that into my own practices.

Thanks again for all of your help so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythra View Post
    I do have a Celtic bent but I am also highly interested in pretty much anything including Greco-Roman, Nordic and even how humans practiced spirituality in Babylonian era times. I really do not believe that one certain path or way of thinking is the "proper" way to do things for myself so I am just looking for a variety of influences to sort through.
    Greek and Roman do have similarities but there are differences.
    Greek:
    the Iliad
    the Odyssey,
    Theogony Works and Days by Hesiod

Roman:
    Fasti by Ovid
    The Aenid by virgil
    Metamorphoses by Ovid
    The Romans and their Gods in the Age of Augustus by R.M.Ogilivie

Norse:
    The Saga of the Volsungs
    The prose Edda
    The poetic Edda

As to the criticism of Conway and McCoy's works I have read similar reviews before and it did not surprise me to hear it again. I have to agree that in the books I have read it seems they are implying that their system was how the ancients used to do it and if you do a little research it is not to hard to conclude they just created something of their own and passed it off as "authentic". One of the things I enjoyed about Cunningham's work was that he in my opinion made a very good effort at explaining that there have been so many systems of belief in the world that is it best to focus on what feels right to you and not get so bogged down in the uniform way of doing things. I also found his work to be very solid in a practical sense especially for those who have no experience or understanding into the subject before they read his book. I have seen Cunningham has written books that have looked interesting but I have never got around to buying which were his "Complete Guide to Oils, Incenses and Brews", "Crystal Gem & Metal Magic" and "Earth, Air, Fire & Water", if anyone could give me feedback on these books or recommend any other established references elsewhere I would appreciate that a lot.
    with McCoy if it on a modern practices then her books are actually ok.if you are not sure then do not buy them until you get more experience and knowledge to see where her follies are. like her books on the Sabbats are ok. the first book is a good beginners book. in fact i have seen a lot of his work plagiarized on many a websites. the second one is one of the first books on stone i got. also another beginners book. the third i heard it is ok

On a final note, I am also interested in finding good sources of reading for Sabbat and Esbat themes. I live in Central Illinois here in the US so the Celtic Wheel of the Year is something I can relate to as I get all the seasons here. The books I have only go into very basics about the meaning and symbolism behind these days and since there is so much material online it would be nice to have something generally accepted to refer to when I am working that into my own practices.

Thanks again for all of your help so far!
    A Year of Ritual: Sabbats & Esbats for Solitaries & Covens
    Wheel of the Year: Living the Magical Life
    \
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

A good source for reading online is www.sacred-texts.com is all sorts of subjects.
    Amazon most books have some free pages to read online.You can not copy but you can take notes with pencil/pen & paper of things like recipes you find browsing sample pages.
    The site of the shop www.alchemy-works.com has some good information on correspondences and see also the links there.

Llewellyn has a great series out right now about Witches' tools. The Witches' Cauldron, so far, is my favourite, though I have heard good things about the Mirror one. I'm also a big fan of Lexa Roseann's The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients.
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

I enjoy Yasmin Galenorn. Joyce and River Higginbotham are good too. Jason Mankey is a good author for Wiccan practices.
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast