Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weird snacks

Weird snacks

So, I just got done eating a green olive and havarti cheese sandwich on a hard roll (I'm pretty sure hard rolls are a Southern thing, never heard of 'em til I moved to North Carolina.) My boyfriend thinks I'm a freak of nature for eating such a thing, but to me it tastes good. And I know I'm not the only person who eats weird things for a snack, cuz everybody in my family does. One of my younger brothers LOVES bbq sauce spread on white bread, for example, I think it's disgusting, but he loves it. In my opinion, to each their own. But it got me thinkin...

So, what do you folks say? Have you got a weird thing that you love eating, but everybody around you thinks you're purely loco for eating it? Or do you abstain from such aberrant behaviors? What's the deal, MW?

is offline Jewish Renewalist/Who knows?
    I like roasted seaweed.
    Better Know a Child Ballad

My Deviantart Page

How can your boyfriend think olives, cheese and bread are a weird thing? All you really did was kind of smush it all together!!

I don't know if I eat 'weird' snacks though. I'll have to think about that for a bit and come back to it.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Google seems to be suggesting that "hard roll" is East Coast (particularly New York/New Jersey) slang for a Kaiser roll. WitchJezebel can probably attest to the accuracy or inaccuracy of that conflation, I'm guessing.

I've gotten out of the habit of snacking. I eat "weird" things (I've got two rabbits and some beef suet in the freezer, and I've been craving beef heart pho for weeks), but only really at set meals.
    JFGI

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post
    Google seems to be suggesting that "hard roll" is East Coast (particularly New York/New Jersey) slang for a Kaiser roll.
    It is. A "hard roll" is a round roll with a hard, bread like crust as opposed to a "soft roll" which would be like a hamburger bun. There is a variant from the Buffalo area called a "kummelweck" which is topped with caraway seeds and coarse grained salt. "Hot beef on weck" is found all over the Buffalo area and practically unknown elsewhere. It consists of hot sliced roast beef au jus on a kummelweck roll with horseradish.

Well, now I know. Not super familiar with the food on the east coast, alls I know is they eat differently here than in Texas. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post
    Google seems to be suggesting that "hard roll" is East Coast (particularly New York/New Jersey) slang for a Kaiser roll. WitchJezebel can probably attest to the accuracy or inaccuracy of that conflation, I'm guessing.

I've gotten out of the habit of snacking. I eat "weird" things (I've got two rabbits and some beef suet in the freezer, and I've been craving beef heart pho for weeks), but only really at set meals.
    Yes sir, that's correct. I actually prefer to eat a burger on a Kaiser roll instead of the soft rolls, they absorb the juices and condiments better without falling apart.

I've never had beef heart pho, sounds pretty tasty. I've only had rabbit once in Italy and it was delicious, I'd love to make it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by barfcookies View Post
    Well, now I know. Not super familiar with the food on the east coast, alls I know is they eat differently here than in Texas. =)
    Not weird at all actually; when you said olives, cheese and bread I was thinking of an antipasta platter at parties!!

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

I love carrots and peanut butter, or apples and peanut butter. Does that count????

I love Kaiser rolls too... Like WJ said, they soak up everything without falling apart and getting soggy. If there is one thing that makes me gag, it's soggy bread...

There's also something that some of us east coast Canadians like, it's called "Hard Tack", a type of biscuit. It's called that for a reason, it's hard as a rock, one could use it for hockey pucks and it wouldn't break at all. I don't like it though, but my husband's cousin in law in MA loves the stuff. YECH.
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Celery and peanut butter. My husband thinks it is weird.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Cloaky, I've heard of hard tack but never seen nor tasted it. Now I'm curious, though.

I don't think pb and celery is weird but I don't care for pb so I'd never try it.

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast