Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weird snacks

I can't remember where hard tack is located in the grocery stores up here in Nova Scotia, but I do know it's available. Biscuit section maybe? My father did eat it but not a lot, my uncle liked it though. Not me! I did try it, and to me it was like trying to eat a rock!

I love peanut butter but for a while, couldn't eat it. It was one of the few things that gave me morning sickness during my pregnancy and it was about a year after I had my son before I could look at it or smell it without gagging!

My son loves oatmeal cookies with peanut butter and caramel spread on them... At the same time. NOT a fan of oatmeal cookies to begin with and even adding stuff to them still makes me want to gag!
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

is offline Jewish Renewalist/Who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloaked Raven View Post
    I love carrots and peanut butter, or apples and peanut butter. Does that count????

I love Kaiser rolls too... Like WJ said, they soak up everything without falling apart and getting soggy. If there is one thing that makes me gag, it's soggy bread...

There's also something that some of us east coast Canadians like, it's called "Hard Tack", a type of biscuit. It's called that for a reason, it's hard as a rock, one could use it for hockey pucks and it wouldn't break at all. I don't like it though, but my husband's cousin in law in MA loves the stuff. YECH.
    My mom used to make hard tack for maritime history demonstrations. (They used to give it to sailors at sea because it would keep for a long time.) I didn't know it was actually popular as a snack in some places.
    Better Know a Child Ballad

My Deviantart Page

is offline Proud member of the Witches of TOSwick
    Graham crackers, spread with peanut butter, topped with French's yellow horseradish mustard.

Seriously.

The answers I'm getting here are pretty interesting, definitely pretty good to hear that I'm not as freaky as the boyfriend thinks haha.

As for hardtack, also known as ship's biscuit, hardbread, etc, if you're curious to try it, it's literally flour, water, and a little bit of salt. (it's a link, has a recipe and some history)

I'm sure you can put other things in it, but it's an old old recipe, used by sailors going back centuries, as well as in military and colonial situations when more nutritious rations were lacking, right through into the 20th century. The reason for its historic popularity is that it's very simple to make, it can stretch resources that are getting a little thin, and it's damn close to being indestructible under even some very stressing conditions, such as those aboard a less-than-modern sailing vessel. There are samples of ship's biscuit from the 1700s that are still (more or less) as they should be, aside from being three hundred years worth of rancid.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDamiana View Post
    Graham crackers, spread with peanut butter, topped with French's yellow horseradish mustard.

Seriously.
    *slow clap*

That's the kind of weird I'm talkin about now.

Peanut butter and mustard... wow. I can't even imagine that! I don't think I eat any weird snacks - the weirdest I get is when I run out of normal combinations of food for lunches. Peanut butter on toast with a stick of celery is a fairly common occurrence. But I wouldn't think of that as being such a weird combination, the stick of celery sitting on the side does look a bit odd though.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDamiana View Post

Seriously.
    Oh honey... that made my stomach do some really weird flips.

Yes. That's seriously WEIRD.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Quote Originally Posted by barfcookies View Post

As for hardtack, also known as ship's biscuit, hardbread, etc, if you're curious to try it, it's literally flour, water, and a little bit of salt. (it's a link, has a recipe and some history)

I'm sure you can put other things in it, but it's an old old recipe, used by sailors going back centuries, as well as in military and colonial situations when more nutritious rations were lacking, right through into the 20th century. The reason for its historic popularity is that it's very simple to make, it can stretch resources that are getting a little thin, and it's damn close to being indestructible under even some very stressing conditions, such as those aboard a less-than-modern sailing vessel. There are samples of ship's biscuit from the 1700s that are still (more or less) as they should be, aside from being three hundred years worth of rancid.
    I was born in Nova Scotia and have lived here my entire life. We have a couple of centuries' worth of maritime history because we're almost completely surrounded by the Atlantic and have one of Canada's biggest ports, Halifax, here... Hard tack is pretty common here and yeah, people do eat it as a snack sometimes. I think it's disgusting but then again, I grew up in the late 20th century and although NS can be a little odd for things by times, we are modernized here to an extent so we can get better stuff!

Today, on this Earth, tomorrow that may change
    Quote Originally Posted by Ĉon Flux View Post
    Celery and peanut butter. My husband thinks it is weird.
    I like that, too. I'm eating some right now, along with apple slices and cheese(Romano, which I've never had before, and will not again).

A friend suggested cream cheese with celery. I'll have to try that.

Glo
    Never too old to explore!!!!

Where am I? Here

What am I doing? Whatever I choose.

Why am I doing it? Because I want to.

Live to love
    but do
    not be a rug--Me

My sister used to like baloney sandwiches with peanut butter, cheese, jam and ketchup on them. At once. Does that count?

(I still gag when I remember those days!! )

That counts twice hahahaha wow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast