Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Registration Closed (Temporarily)

Registration Closed (Temporarily)

Registrations are closed at the moment. I'm hoping it'll be temporary.

We've been having major issues with spammers. I'm talking 100s a day. It's impossible to control or to sort through. Until a better spam-filter is in place, this will be a continued problem. We've had more spammers than legit accounts as well, this is an issue.

Another issues is with MW emails not reaching people. People with AOL, Hotmail and others don't get our emails. This causes a chain reaction of problems. In order for someone to complete their registration, they need to confirm their email via our confirmation email, but most don't get it. I have no idea why. They are then stuck in limbo, where I can't see them. This leads to accounts just setting around. People then have to email me and I have to (usually) manually activate/confirm their accounts.

Another problem is, with 100s and even 1000s of accounts waiting for approval or not, it's impossible for me to sit there and IP, email and check all the accounts. I have no way to know one account out of 100s is legit. This often leads to the account sitting there or purged with all the clearly spam accounts.

New members mostly got through because they emailed me, that's the only way I'd be able to know someone's account needs attention. It's not an effective method, but is the only one I have.

I'm trying to find solutions, but since this isn't my area of expertise, I don't know if I can fix the issue.

I am thinking of opening registrations up for 2 weeks at a time and close them for 2 weeks. Or something like that. I want to let legit users to join, but I also can't deal with 6k spam accounts. And yes, I deleted that many recently (I actually had to close it because while I was deleting these, more kept coming -- very counter-productive!).

So, yeah.

ETA:
    So, just noticed I do have a Plug-in manager area in the CP. So, I will start to research that and see if I can download and add the needed spam-filter plug-in by myself. No guarantees, though! I'll look into it. I'll have to find various tutorials too. Anyway...
    Last edited by Agaliha; October 13th, 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Good luck. It's hard to sort through it all I am sure.

also mailing accounts with g-mail are getting @ instead of MysticWicks online pagan community and spiritual sanctuary and and that is it. and those are going in the spam /junk filters.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

If you need someone with vbulletin admin panel experience to bounce ideas off, I'll be happy to help. I've mostly adminned vbulletin 3.x sites, but I have one 4.x site and I'm getting up to speed on this version.

I'm out of my mind, please leave a message...

Agaliha, I fully understand what you are going through. Been there did that, hated every second of it!
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

That is definitely an issue I've seen on other forums as well. I wonder if there is some way to prevent spammers from registering? I know a lot of forums ask you to fill out those mathematical equation questions or captcha (sp?) forms to see if you're a human or not. Does your forum software have that capability?
    "Listen to your heart. It knows all things, because it came from the Soul of the World, and it will one day return there." ~ THE ALCHEMIST by Paulo Coelho

I'm not sure what's available for this version of vBulletin for anti spam modules but I know there is one for newer versions of YaBB software (2.4 and up). (I'm more familiar with YaBB forum software)
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

There appear to be several Akismet vBulletin plugins available, and Akismet is pretty awesome at spam prevention.

Same as ravenscape, if you need any help messing about with the vBulletin plugins and such, I have experience with forums of all flavors and can help if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by barfcookies View Post
    There appear to be several Akismet vBulletin plugins available, and Akismet is pretty awesome at spam prevention.

Same as ravenscape, if you need any help messing about with the vBulletin plugins and such, I have experience with forums of all flavors and can help if needed.
    OMG I love your user name. LOL
    "Listen to your heart. It knows all things, because it came from the Soul of the World, and it will one day return there." ~ THE ALCHEMIST by Paulo Coelho

Thanks everyone For those that offered help, I appreciate it. If I have any questions I'll let you know!
    My issue is I've never looked at, dealt with or managed the plug-ins. I have no idea how to get a plug-in from point A to B. If you guys know of any good tutorials (video or text) let me know!

I want to add StopForumSpam's plug-in. I've seen it before and thought it'd make a good filter to stop spammers.
    I put things on CAPTCHA once and it was worse. I have it on Q&A now and change things around often. It worked awesomely for awhile until something happened and the flood rolled in. Another issues is spammers are using Gmail a lot more and they know we can't ban @gmail.com accounts. Heh.

ETA: Well. Problem. I am unable to be listed as "licenced" on the vBulletin site/forum. Mol's account would be, but not mine. I wonder if there's a way to get around this. If not, I can't download the Mod. *sigh*
    Last edited by Agaliha; October 15th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast