Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Creating A Mythology Reboot (For Any Pantheon).

Question Creating A Mythology Reboot (For Any Pantheon).

Concerning various mythologies & pantheons, cultural & values dissonance plays a huge role & may greatly hamper ones enthusiasm for following a pantheon that otherwise looks appealing. One may, foe example, look to the Classical Pantheon but have an inability to get around the instances in which the deities are jealous jerkasses, sociopaths & rapists....often overshadowing their more appealing qualities. However, the Greco-Roman Myths & deities are still quite appealing for many reasons but one might have a hard time relating to said deities if they come across as jerks.

For me, at least, the benevolent aspects of a deity need to be greater than the malevolent & a deity should teach us about ourselves, show some ethical elements or example & at times, get some comeuppance or at least learn something when they screw up. I know that Pagan/Polytheistic pantheons run on a different ethical standard from, say the Abrahamic, Parsis & Dharmic Paths. The Pagan pantheons tend to embody both good & evil and, since there is hardly an equivalent of a Devil/Demiurge/Hindu Asuras/Rakshas/Angra Mayu/etc. the Divine has to pick up the slack in regards to evil.

That said, because of the span of time & changing cultures, one might find, after some study, that the Pantheon of choice, to their dismay, seems to have little redeeming character in regards to benevolence OR what constitutes what is "right" in the original myths is alien, impractical or totally deranged to today's mindset.

Often, myths were written & rewritten to reflect changing mores & politics. Deities often change or merge with others. Myths & pantheons may go from a somewhat gender-egalitarian character to a more patriarchal one (and vice versa). Other deities are adapted & readapted. The Abrahamic deity was originally inspired from the ancient Canaanite pantheons.

With this in mind. I think all the Pantheons & their myths should be rebooted a bit. Rewritten & revised for the modern era while still retaining the look, feel & essence of the original. Using the Classical Pantheon, for example, the deities can be rewritten as having more positive qualities to off-set the negative ones. They can still be their usual, bickering selves but they need to have a good, honorable side as well. There needs to be a reason & purpose for their behavior. Zeus can still be "Mr. Casanova" but he should be more of an alluring seducer than an outright rapist....and his aspect as a just but fair leader, keeper of order & such emphasized. This is just an example.

I think all myths can be rewritten to reflect a divine that's easier to understand & relate to. To reflect the ethics, gender politics & understanding of the modern-day believer. Still in many ways true to the original but with a few changes in details & the character of the folks in said tale.

I've used the Greco-Roman Pantheon as my main example because they're the first that come to mind. More often than not, they're more malevolent than benevolent. They do stuff "just because". No learning, no nothing. They torment mortals & immortals alike for kicks & one gets a rather dim impression of them. Of course, this is just my opinion & I in no way intend to insult the pantheon or it's followers. There's also a lot of cool stuff about the Classical Pantheon & Path as well. Even I see the appeal in some general things.

What do you think of this idea?
    HI GUYS!

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    i believe that viewing the Gods as mere tools to our understanding is nothing less than hubris. they are who they are and it is not for us to repaint them.

applying modern whims and pop-culture morals to the old stories denies them and depletes us. it is NOT incumbent upon the Gods to act in accordance to our politically correct needs.

so where does it end?
    does the next generation apply their 'needs' to the old pantheon as well? at this rate there will be nothing left of the old stories, the traditions, after only a few decades.
    that is not how we received them, so we should pass them on 'uncorrected'.

imo.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theres View Post
    i believe that viewing the Gods as mere tools to our understanding is nothing less than hubris. they are who they are and it is not for us to repaint them.

applying modern whims and pop-culture morals to the old stories denies them and depletes us. it is NOT incumbent upon the Gods to act in accordance to our politically correct needs.

so where does it end?
    does the next generation apply their 'needs' to the old pantheon as well? at this rate there will be nothing left of the old stories, the traditions, after only a few decades.
    that is not how we received them, so we should pass them on 'uncorrected'.

imo.
    I agree with you. The Gods really...are timeless. They no need of "modenization" because they are perfect as they are. They are, after all...Divine.

I really feel that the lack of respect for all that is divine is going to create a sort of boomerang effect.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

I disagree. Part of what makes the gods so timeless is their ability to retranslate themselves for every era. How Zeus acted back in ancient Greece would be considered rape today, but for the time and culture it was no worse than Bill and Monica. Sleezy, sure, but not criminal. The intersection of sex and power is as significant today as it ever was.

Dion Fortune, in her book 'The Mystical Qabbala', said this...

"The nearer the source the purer the stream. In order to discover first principles we must go to the fountainhead. But a river receives many tributaries in the course of its flow, and these need not necessarily be polluted. If we want to discover whether they are pure or not, we compare them with the pristine stream, and if they pass this test they may well be permitted to mingle with the main body of waters and swell their strength."

if you pollute the headwaters you destroy the benchmark.
    therefore you can certainly create your own pantheon if you wish, or any kind of 'fanfic' you like, but leave the original myths alone please.
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Sorry I've already seen plenty of fairy tales that have been rebooted to make them more PC and they suck horribly because of it.

In truth this whole scenario reminds me of the many want-a-bee pagans who have tried to incorporate all their Christian dogma along with the happier and friendlier god / goddess who cares about them and is a big brother / sister model. Sorry white light, lovely dovey gods / goddesses just do not cut it for me. I'll stick with the ancient edda's, saga's and stories for the truths they reveal are just as valid today as they where when written in antiquity. It just requires the practitioner to spend a bit of time and actually learn about thier god / goddess and not try to make them something they are not, ie human with all of our morality and ethics colored by each generation.

But I admit I am intrigued by your constant attempts to paint divinity into your model. I think this is the second or third time you've presented this concept of changing the gods / goddesses to make your own pantheon and redefining what and how they should and should not act based upon your own criteria. One of those times involving Indian and Persian pantheon's if I recall correctly where we had this same type discussion.

edited to add:

yep basically a re-hash of this thread http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...stly-The-Vedas along with the thread on karmic return http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...ople-amp-Karma .
    Last edited by monsnoleedra; October 19th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

i saw it written somewhere...

"True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it."

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    Sorry I've already seen plenty of fairy tales that have been rebooted to make them more PC and they suck horribly because of it.

In truth this whole scenario reminds me of the many want-a-bee pagans who have tried to incorporate all their Christian dogma along with the happier and friendlier god / goddess who cares about them and is a big brother / sister model. Sorry white light, lovely dovey gods / goddesses just do not cut it for me. I'll stick with the ancient edda's, saga's and stories for the truths they reveal are just as valid today as they where when written in antiquity. It just requires the practitioner to spend a bit of time and actually learn about thier god / goddess and not try to make them something they are not, ie human with all of our morality and ethics colored by each generation.

But I admit I am intrigued by your constant attempts to paint divinity into your model. I think this is the second or third time you've presented this concept of changing the gods / goddesses to make your own pantheon and redefining what and how they should and should not act based upon your own criteria. One of those times involving Indian and Persian pantheon's if I recall correctly where we had this same type discussion.

edited to add:

yep basically a re-hash of this thread http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...stly-The-Vedas along with the thread on karmic return http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...ople-amp-Karma .

Ah, yes....I remember this conversation, I forgot all about it. Sorry.

Well, I wasn't necessarily proposing changing the deities completely. They should be left as they are because their depictions and character are so much who they are about. You see, I come from the mindset that Deity & more of a nebulous thing and that various deities, pantheons & such are really metaphors & symbols that reflect the society that creates them. Deity makes Human in It's Image & Human makes Deity in it's own Image. I'm a Pantheist & a non-literalist. I realize that not everyone shares my view. Many are Polytheists & literally see the Deities are real literal beings living "out there". I, on the other hand, believe in the concept of "All Gods are One God & all Goddesses are One Goddess & together, They are One".

However, I realize that maybe it's best to create a Pantheon from scratch. I can still borrow various concepts from existing Pantheons.

I can even accept the Pantheons as they are and see them as levels of Pantheons. Everything being emanations. The Higher Pantheon that is Universal & not culture-specific & the many Pantheons, Greco-Roman, Celtic, Canaanite, Yoruba, Aztec, etc. as a lower emanation (reflecting both the higher & baser aspects of humanity).

You don't have to agree with me on everything or anything. I admit I don't know everything & perhaps I'm too logical, individualistic or chaotic.
    HI GUYS!

No need to appologize or be sorry for forgetting about a previous conversation. For some reason things like that stick in my head and flag out when I see it.

For me I see all the gods / goddesses as individuals and unique. I suppose in many ways it's like the notion that I resemble my father in appearance and in how we view things. Yet I am not my father regardless of how much we are alike. My brother resembles our grandfather in many ways yet again he is not our grandfather. Thus the notion that all gods / goddesses are one entity seem's wrong on so many levels to me. In many ways it seems simply more of the Judeo-Christian influence upon supposed pagan practices with a singular divine presence that has many faces or atributes, ie Father-Son-Holy Ghost all rolled up into one, then projected as a universal force with different manifestations about the globe.

Yet in the long run to me the whole concept of a singular divine entity simply serves to allow a person to refuse accepting the fallout of thier own actions. They can always place it upon that singular force that takes multiple forms. A presence that can be molded to be the blessing and forgiving facet of life or the corruption who rewards those who obey its will. Very much like the Christian concept of the daming and forgiving God who stands at the top of the hiearchy.

Quote Originally Posted by SpukiKat75 View Post
    You see, I come from the mindset that Deity & more of a nebulous thing and that various deities, pantheons & such are really metaphors & symbols that reflect the society that creates them.
    i come from the mindset that They created us, never the other way around.
    i used to think differently, and you can search through my prior posts here (albeit VERY long ago) and find a different mindset completely. but i got into a discussion once with a former member here regarding the Jungian view of deity, a view i used to swear by. and she replied something to the effect of "well yes, if you only see God as an archetype...", and i thought about that for some time. finally i saw the point she was making and EVERYTHING changed for me.
    if you can't see them as more than this then maybe a theistic viewpoint isn't for you. piety is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra
    For me I see all the gods / goddesses as individuals and unique. I suppose in many ways it's like the notion that I resemble my father in appearance and in how we view things. Yet I am not my father regardless of how much we are alike. My brother resembles our grandfather in many ways yet again he is not our grandfather. Thus the notion that all gods / goddesses are one entity seem's wrong on so many levels to me.
    word.
    Last edited by Theres; October 20th, 2012 at 03:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast