Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulling a rune per day

Pulling a rune per day

I have started this about a week or so ago. I am doing mediation and galdr with each. I have been posting them on another site and since we are looking for ways to increase conversation here I will post them here too. Please feel free to post your own thoughts.

First rune:
    Laguz
    Pronunciation "Law-gooze"
    Phonetic Value: " L "
    Translation: Water/Lake Poems:

Old Norwegian
    A waterfall is a River which falls from a mountain-side; but ornaments are of gold.

Old Icelandic
    Water is eddying stream and broad geysir and land of the fish.

Anglo-Saxon
    The ocean seems interminable to men, if they venture on the rolling bark and the waves of the sea terrify them and the courser of the deep heed not its bridle.

Laguz manifest as water so giving it those same characteristics is fair. A calm lake, a fast flowing river, a stormy sea. All are water and all are energy. Sex and sexuality is often associated with this rune. It is also about transformation like water going from ice to steam and taking the shape of it's container. To me represents the flow of energy and moving energy. It also is about the leap of faith or diving in when you don't know what's under the surface. Since most water has a current it also represents the subconscious actions or factor in a situation. In spell work I would use this rune when I am looking to change or transform a situation. God represented by this rune are Aegir, Ran and their nine daughters.
    Last edited by Ula; November 5th, 2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: highlight item

Mannaz
    Pronunciation: Mah-nawz
    English Letter Equivalent M as in man
    Translation Mankind, human

Anglo-Saxon Poem:
    The joyous man is dear to his kinsmen; yet every man is doomed to fail his fellow, since the Lord by his decree will commit the vile carrion to the earth

Norwegian Poem:
    Man is an augmentation of the dust; great is the claw of the hawk.

Icelandic Poem:
    Man delight of man and augmentation of the earth and adorner of ships.

This is the rune I drew today. This rune represents mankind and the way they interact together. It is a mirror image on both sides so it represents relationships and balance in them. Friendship, marriage, strangers any interaction with others would be included in this. It's about equal footing in a relationship, good personal boundaries and not taking advantage of another or vise versa and balancing forces in our life (think work hard, play hard).

Uruz
    Pronunciation: Oor-ooze
    English Letter Equivalent Short U as in under, OO as in booze
    Translation Aurochs - the giant wild ox of Europe

Anglo-Saxon Poem:
    The aurochs is proud and has great horns; it is a very savage beast and fights with its horns; a great ranger of the moors, it is a creature of mettle.

Norwegian Poem:
    Dross comes from bad iron; the reindeer often races over the frozen snow.\

Icelandic Poem:
    Shower lamentation of the clouds and ruin of the hay-harvest and abomination of the shepherd

This rune's name represents the wild ox that are now extinct. It's a rune of strength and fertility. When I did galdr with this rune I saw the male ox protecting his herd. This lead me to Thor and this protection of man,not to imply we are herd aminals to him or anything like that. To me that also means being a good judge of character and knowing who is safe for your family and who isn't. Also, the strength to finish the task at hand. This is a good grounding rune, solid and strong.

Kenaz
    Sound: kane-awze,
    k as in "kick", or hard c as in "cane"
    Letter: K, hard C

Anglo-Saxon Poem:
    Torch is to every living person / known by its fire / it is clear and bright / it usually burns / when the athlings / rest inside the hall

Old Norwegian Poem:
    Sore is the curse of children / grif makes a man pale

Old Scandinavian Poem:
    Sore is the bale of children / and a scourge / and the house of rotten flesh

This rune means torch. A torch, even if fire, is more of a light than anything. It's controlled, illuminating and gives a sense of civilization or at least a place more secure than say sitting around a camp fire. It symbolized knowledge and enlightenment. Since the dead get cold fire may represent life energy, just like the heat of the sun and saunas do. Torches are used in land claiming ceremonies to remove negative energy, fire is cleansing in nature. Fire in the Saga represents kin and ancestors.
    Last edited by Ula; November 6th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Thurisaz
    Pronounced: Thoo-ree-sawz
    Meaning: giant, strong one, thorn
    Letter: voiceless "th"' as in "thorn"

Anglo-Saxon Poem:
    Thorn is very sharp; for every thane / who grasps it; it is harmful and extremely cruel / to everyman / who lies upon them

Old Norwegian Poem:
    Thurs causes the sickness of women / few are cheerful from misfortune

Today's rune is thorn but also means giant or strong one. It also represents Thor who fights and protects man from the giants. Its shape is very much in the shape of Mjölnir. It's a rune of opposing forces. It's definitely a rune of power and brute force. I would say from the poems it can also be phallic in nature as women are warned to beware. Thorns can be worked around if skilled so it's a rune of caution and precision to me. Either be ready to fight or defend with this rune.

Ehwaz
    Pronounced: “eh-was”
    Literally: “Horse”

Anglo Saxon poem: The horse is a joy to princes in the presence of warriors. A steed in the pride of its hoofs, when rich men on horseback bandy words about it; and it is ever a source of comfort to the restless.

Ehwaz represents the horse. It’s easy to see this could mean a journey or forward movement and when reversed the opposite. Odin’s has two “horses”: Sleipnir the eight-legged steed and Yggdrasil the world tree. This gives the rune not only the idea of a journey but one in the spirit realm too. Many of the meanings I read mentioned the fetch. That part of us in the spirit world. In shamanism “horsing” a god is when you allow that god to “ride” your body to talk to people in this realm. So it’s a rune of all forward movement or travelling in all plains. I just want to note too that it is seen as a rune of pairing or working with someone whether person or god/goddess. It’s seen as a rune of couples. That makes me think of Tolkien’s horse tribe in Rohan. They named their horses and they were then brother’s in battle. I would say that this rune is not just about traveling but not traveling alone.

Raido Pronounced: Rye-doh
    Meaning: riding

Icelandic Rune Poem: Riding is the joy of the horsemen and speedy journey and toil of the steed.

Norse Rune Poem: Riding is said to be the worse thing for horses, Reginn forged the finest sword.

Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem: Riding - to the warrior in the hall - is easy, But very strenuous for one who sits on top, Of a powerful horse over long miles.

This rune is more self-explanatory than some. Its meaning is riding but basically means a journey. This can be spiritual or physical. It’s a about forward motion but not in a rough way. It’s about a smooth ride to where you are going. It forward energy and forward motion that is pretty hard to stop or fight against. I spent time with horses as a kid and they are comfortable to ride only when walking or running, lol, anything in between is uncomfortable. Calvary is still pretty intimidating and hard to stop in battle. If you draw this rune it’s about not fighting where you’re going.

Perthro
    Pronounced: “Per-throw”
    Meaning: unknown or Lot-Cup

Anglo Saxon poem: (no others) Peorth is a source of recreation and amusement to the great, where warriors sit blithely together in the banqueting-hall.

Perthro represents the unknown and is considered by some to be the “real” blank rune. Fate was the power behind the lot cup. Tacitus talked about men rolling the dice and ending up on slavery. They did so willingly because that is what fate has given them. That associates this rune with the Norns. It has also represented to some the womb or great void, Ginnungagap. It’s a rune about what is hidden or as yet unknown or does not need to be known yet.

Fehu
    Pronunciation: Fay-who
    English Letter Equivalent F as in fat
    Translation Money, Cattle, Wealth

Old Norwegian Poem:
    Wealth is a source of discord amongst kin; the wolf lives in the forest.

Old Icelandic Poem:
    Wealth is a source of discord amongst kin and fire of the sea and path of the serpent.

Anglo-Saxon Poem:
    Wealth is a comfort to all; yet must everyone bestow it freely, if they wish to gain honor in the sight of the Lord Fehu is a rune of wealth, luck and creativity.

Its craftsmanship and the sharing of what we receive with others. It’s knowing what we work for and what we are lucky to get. It’s the good fortune passed through Hamingja. It’s a positive rune and represents self worth. Fehu is money, power, reputation and I think even our word to others. While meditating and doing galdr with Fehu I imagine the seven dwarves singing Fehu instead of hi-ho, lol. But it seemed to wrap up the rune for me nicely. This ruin is associated with Andvari.
    Last edited by Ula; November 12th, 2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: I have been offline all weekend so here are Saturday-Monday

Jera
    Pronounced: YEH-rah
    y (or German j)
    Meaning: Harvest

Icelandic Rune Poem
    Plenty
    boon to men
    and good summer
    and thriving crops.

Norwegian Rune Poem
    Plenty is a boon to men;
    I say that Frothi was generous.

Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem:
    Summer is a joy to men, when God, the holy King of Heaven,
    suffers the earth to bring forth shining fruits
    for rich and poor alike.

This is a rune that represents the year and the harvest. It’s a rune of patience and waiting or planning to receive a reward. Just as you plant the crops then wait for the yield. It’s also a rune that represent this time of year and that time is also about death and ancestors. Just as this time of year is about light and dark so is the rune. Freya, Freyr, Sunna and Manni are all associated with this rune.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast