Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulling a rune per day

Due to Thanksgiving I will not post one for Thursday or Friday.

Nauthiz
    Pronounced: Not-this
    Meaning: Need-fire

Anglo-Saxon
    Trouble is oppressive to the heart;
    yet often it proves a source of help
    and salvation to the children of men,
    to everyone who heeds it betimes.

Norwegian
    Constraint gives scant choice;
    a naked man is chilled by the frost

Icelandic
    Constraint

grief of the bond-maid
    and state of oppression
    and toilsome work.

This rune looks like two sticks being rubbed together. Friction creating fire. It represents need in all fashion. Basic food, shelter, clothing or lacking in relationship, spiritual needs and what not. To me it’s also the benefit of getting through the tough time and coming out with a reward. Eventually the rubbing makes fire. A useful tool. A lesson learned, a stronger relationship.

I apologize for not posting yesterday. I have been really sick over the holiday and got frustrated when I kept getting runes I have done. I just realized there are only three left so I will do them without drawing per se.

Hagalaz
    Pronounced: Hag Ėall-az
    Letter: H
    Meaning: Hail

Old Icelandic Poem:
    Hagall (Hail) is cold seed
    and a sleet shower
    and snakeís illness.

Old Norse Poem:
    Hagall (Hail) is the coldest of seeds;
    Christ shaped the world (the heavens) in fore times.

I found it interesting hail is referred to as a seed. Looking into it hail would knock seeds to the ground then melt making it a process of fertility but itís the damage done before that is important or necessary. This rune is about hindrances, obstacles and the past being destroyed in order to move forward. Since water and snake represent the subconscious itís more about spiritual blocks than physical ones. This rune is both dark and light, damage and healing. Itís definitely a more negative rune than some since the change is more difficult or a challenge to face oneís self is necessary. Associations: Some saw Urd, Norn of the past. Some Loki for chaos, one Hela for the idea of death of the old and rebirth. Itís associations with the Rokkr say to me itís a primal force. To me if the Asa are civility (city), Vanir are fertility (farming), then the Rokkr are the deep woods and wild forest. Those natural instincts we fight or bury or act on without thinking. That urge to fight and stay alive. This rune to me addresses those hindrance associated with staying alive and moving past them.

Othala
    Pronounced: “Oh-thall-ah
    Meaning: Homeland or Ancestral Lot
    Letter: O

Anglo-Saxon Poem
    The family land is very dear to every man,
    provided that there in his own house
    he may enjoy everything that is right
    and proper in constant prosperity.

The rune Othala reminds me of those cause ribbons you see everywhere (I have two on my own car). It’s appropriate if you view it as the representing your life. Imagine what you put on a ribbon of you. Family, friends, possessions, home, luck, blessings, community causes, country, history are all part of Othala. It is all that those before us have done and what we continue to do to have what you have. It’s not just money or land but reputation and the life we live. It’s the last rune in the order and is the sum total of all that has come to this point. When draw it could mean your life is in order or money is coming your way. Reversed it’s the opposite something in your family could be off or you’re not managing money well. Othala would be a great rune to have on an ancestor altar or when doing money spells.

Eihwaz
    Pronounced: yew-was
    Meaning: Yew tree
    Letter: El or none

Anglo-Saxon Poem:
    Yew is on the outside / a rough tree / and hard, firm in the earth, / keeper of the fire / supported by roots / a joy on the estate

Norwegian Poem:"
    Yew is the greenest wood in the winter; / there is usually, when it burns, singeing

Icelandic Poem:
    Yew is a strung bow / and brittle iron / and Farbouti of the arrow

This is a hard rune to pin down as far as definition and seems to represent a lot of concepts. First, it’s the Yew tree. It’s associated with Yggdrasil and Odin’s sacrifice for the runes. On that the rune represents finding knowledge, usually spiritual or self-knowledge. The Yew is toxic and is planted in cemeteries saying it can catch the dead. It is a rune of dead AND rebirth. Ullr, the bow hunting god, lives in the Yew forest and makes his bow of Yew. So the idea of taking something toxic and making it work or useful is associated with this rune. It’s a rune about going forward and moving on, death and rebirth and finding power within you.

Today I drew the last rune. At this point I am making note cards so I can keep working on identifying the rune symbol with the meanings. I think my next step is to do a poem for each rune. I don't do poetry but it falls in with tradition and I think will help with learning them and using them. I don't know if I'll post those. Hope you all enjoyed.

A version of "Rune"?

Ok I lost all my sets of "Runes'" when I lost all my decks but I have since made a set of
    "Dreamstones" and "Counting Crows" stones...
    (bottlecaps w/ black marker shrugs you do whatever to gain a new divination tool what can I say...)

ANYWAY I pulled:

TREE
    keyword...GROWTH

knowledge, wisdom, spirit, putting down
    roots, planting seeds of ideas, thought processes, studies, learning, heritage,
    family tree, patience, enlightenment, continuation, abundance, work, money
    security, prosperity

I like the tree symbol a lot, because it can
    encompass so many different things in one little package.

It can be about
    home and family.The relationships and ties that we have to a particular place,
    as well as to certain people (who may not be related to us, but who we still
    call "family")

It also encompasses the whole Green movement, which is
    becoming so important these days. Recycling, renewal, eco-conscience, and
    environmental concerns.

It represents the tree huggers, and the organic
    cotton wearing folk.

It represents simple pleasures of gardening, and
    work to make things grow...whether it is children or flowers.

and on the
    other side, which seems a little like an oxymoron...it also represents money,
    and investment, and material wealth.

(I think its going to be about the last one not time or season for gardening!)
    [SIGPIC] Kim

Still pulling from the "Dreamstones" (cause I was lazy and didn't get the reg runes done yesterday) but today I pulled: SWORD

keyword...COURAGE
    honor, loyalty, pressure, aggression, defensiveness, protection, fighting, debate, argumentive, severing old beliefs, dueling, sparring, competition, double-edged sword, both harms and helps, fearlessness, risks

Swords certainly feel aggressive, but they can also represent defense mechanisms.
    Swords are all about fighting...
    Fighting for what you believe in...or for the underdog...
    or sometimes just to fight. And they can be the weapon of choice for the advocate, and those who speak up and help others.

You can pull in all the tarot associations with swords as well...and think of them as air (or fire) symbols
    I always see the sword as a fixed, unflinching, unmovable symbol...if you want a definite answer...look at where the sword is in a reading...because along with star, the sword is one of those symbols that doesn't change its mind easily!

I can also see sword as balance and precision....doing things that require absolute focus, concentration and pinpoint accuracy.
    and of course, any martial art or military connection can be found within the sword symbol too.
    and the sword cuts through red tape and BS

When we get into placement and readings, sword also is a symbol of the signpost...look at where sword is pointing, what other stones it points at, and where it is headed...and often that helps to guide you onward and upward.

Hmmm still working thru trying to get MIL estate settled dealing with hubby's 2 older sibs that are power mongers against one another actually almost threatening it all cause they cant talk to one another. What should have took a week to get everything signed and settled? Has taken 66 days up to today AND still not done! Only half way there! only thing settled is part of the bank stuff grrrrrr (they are like 24 and 25 yrs older than hubby) .... Yeah I'm ready to take sword and whoop some a@@...
    (wrong emo-con but shrugs) LOL off to work on reg Runes...
    [SIGPIC] Kim

Today I pulled: (I hope its ok to use these def found in this thread..much better than I found online. More detailed.)

Wunjo
    Pronounced: ďWon-joeĒ
    Letter: W
    Meaning: joy, perfection Anglo-Saxon Poem:

He enjoys Delight who knows little of woe,
    Of suffering and sorrow,
    And has for his own prosperity, pleasure,
    Eke the plenty of cities This rune is about joy and happiness on one level, just as its meaning says. Itís also about relationships, kin, clan and victory. It can also represent the ecstasy of working or knowing the gods. It looks like the unfurled flag put down after a win or to represent who we are and knowing yourself (and being ok with it). Itís a positive rune but can show a lack of progress or happiness.

(there has been a real lack of progress so hope this is sign it is going to change?) fingers crossed.....
    [SIGPIC] Kim

These are interesting.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast