Thread: Rune Tattoo Question

Rune Tattoo Question

So this question might sound silly. I want to get "strength" tattooed on my wrist in norse runes. The only problem I have is that when I put my arm to my side the runes will be reversed. I was going to get them facing me so that I could read them. I was wondering if this might have bad effects? Especially Tiwaz? Thanks guys. And if you have any suggestions as to some other "strength" nordic designs that might look well on the wrist, feel free to tell me!

Runes do not "reverse." They mean exactly the same even if written backward or upside down.

In fact, the usual way of writing a long passage is in a serpentine pattern, rather than simply left to right on each line like we do in English.
    Last edited by Daecon; November 2nd, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Thank you! Does that go for the magical meaning behind the rune also?

The rune-row will mean the same whichever way your arm is held.

Also, this tattoo is more about personal meaning otherwise you would simply have the Uruz rune tattooed on your arm instead of an entire word.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitkyng View Post
    The rune-row will mean the same whichever way your arm is held.

Also, this tattoo is more about personal meaning otherwise you would simply have the Uruz rune tattooed on your arm instead of an entire word.
    Hail, friend.

Would he also be served well by a bind-rune of Uruz, Sigel for victory, Tyr for godly might, and Ihwaz for Defense? I would also suggest Thurisaz, but one should be careful with that rune.

Taciturn and prudent, and in war daring, should a king's children be;
    joyous and liberal every one should be until his hour of death.

The Words of Odin the High One - translated by Benjamin Thorpe

The order of the runes is significant, since that determines what the word is. Most runesmiths, however, prefer to have their spells be palindromes, so the "word" reads the same in both directions. This also applies to bindrunes, which should ideally be symmetrical.

An individual rune reads the same in any orientation, both as a letter and as a magical symbol. You will note that in the futhark, no rune resembles another in another orientation. This is not true of our English alphabet, for instance. The letters N and Z are the same shape, but rotated. Depending on the lettering, the same can be true for H and I, or M and W. The lower case letters b, d, p and q are all the same shape under rotation or mirror images.

Even though this is four years old, I figured I would pitch in my $0.02.

For what is being asked, the Futhark would be used as an alphabet. There is not necessarily a magical association with this use of the Futhark, and the manner in which they are presented more-or-less does not matter. It could be upside down, slanted, curved, etc, and it would still read "Strength". If a series of runes is used for a magical purpose (as suggested, Uruz, Tiwaz, and Ehwaz), the manner in which it is scribed (or in this case, tattooed,) is what matters. Should it ever be turned upside-down from moving one's arm, the charm will not lose it's intent and it's effect. The only instance when a "reversed" (or upside-down) rune matters is when they are drawn for divination.

With bindrunes, they do not necessarily have to be symmetrical. Take, for instance, the bindrune of the "Bluetooth" symbol; a bindrune for Harold Bluetooth. It is quite asymmetrical. A bindrune is, essentially, a runic signature; a creation or representation of the individual (usually initials) that mark them, and is tied to every manner of their fate.

Staves or sigils, even, are not always symmetrical. Most, such as the Ćgishjálmr Nábrókarstafur, Lásabrjótur, Gapaldur and Ginfaxi, are. Others, such as the Vegvisir, staves against evil spirits, draumstafir, Skelkunarstafur, and staves against witchcraft are very asymmetrical. Symmetry is aesthetically pleasing, but not a necessity.
    Кровь за Кровь! Во Славу Великим! Hugin & Munin (Twitter & blog links)