Thread: Plants and Oils and Conservation Status

Plants and Oils and Conservation Status

A lot of incense recipes and spells call for things like Frankincense and Sandalwood.

Yet back in 2011, Frankincense was already endangered, and Sandalwood and Rosewood as well. They aren't the only ones.

Does this impact your practice? Do you have a list of substitutions that you use?
    Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

frank I rarely use. although I buy stick incense of frank and myrrh. and the other two not so much. but sandalwood I do sometimes use for the incense base if it is colored. probably now I will substitute for another like wood flour. but I usually like to know the wood it was made from.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrstorm View Post
    A lot of incense recipes and spells call for things like Frankincense and Sandalwood.

Yet back in 2011, Frankincense was already endangered, and Sandalwood and Rosewood as well. They aren't the only ones.

Does this impact your practice? Do you have a list of substitutions that you use?
    Apparently not as i didn't know it was endangered. it actually doesn't affect my practice at all because i either forage my own stuff in which I'm careful to preserve the plant, or if I do buy I get it locally from an herbal practitioner who grows pretty much anything I need. We don't over-harvest, like many big-time suppliers likely do. i've also got my own sage plant, basil, some rosemary and such growing. I want to get more room so I can grow other things as well like we used to.

I don't often use substitutions but sometimes with your Appalachian/hoodoo blends you have to.
    Part of my tradition is working off the land, and using what is around you.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

I've been working with local plants, too, and with things that are readily available from my kitchen.

After I found out that frank was in trouble, I started looking closer at such things, and was kind of dismayed a bit. A lot of my Goddess' (Hekate) traditional recipes for incense include Frankincense, so I'm always interested in other options. I've fallen back on bay laurel a good bit as it's as traditional for Greek deities as frank.
    Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrstorm View Post
    I've been working with local plants, too, and with things that are readily available from my kitchen.

After I found out that frank was in trouble, I started looking closer at such things, and was kind of dismayed a bit. A lot of my Goddess' (Hekate) traditional recipes for incense include Frankincense, so I'm always interested in other options. I've fallen back on bay laurel a good bit as it's as traditional for Greek deities as frank.
    It is unfortunate and certainly for shame that eco-friendly paths fuel non-eco-friendly industries.

One word: crystals

but who has the heart to tell the naive?
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Exactly. I have a slew of crystals, from before I understood the industry, and occasionally feel a twinge over it.

I don't really use frankincense or sandalwood anymore for this reason. I love sandalwood and I haven't found any good alternative to it yet, but I'd rather use components I either gathered myself or are at least not high impact. I found this list of oils that are derived from threatened or endangered plants and animals: http://www.heavenscentoils.net/endangered.htm I think in some cases it depends on where the plants are harvested from as well.
    Libris

"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." ~Theodore Rubin

It definitely depends on where the plant is coming from and which varietal of the species.

Take white sage versus other types of sage, for example.