Thread: What "Classic" Pagan book have you never read?

What "Classic" Pagan book have you never read?

The book that I have never read is Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler. I don't know why. I have had it on my bookshelf for ages, but never got around to reading it. Found it while cleaning this afternoon, and voila! the idea for this thread popped into my head. What "Classic" Pagan book have you never read? Why or why not?
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

I haven't read that one either. To be honest, I think I've skimmed a bit of Buckland and Farrar's books here and there, but I've honestly never had access to most of the "classic" books. I hope to change that at some point. =)
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

offhand Real Magic by Isaac Bonewitts.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by lightdragon View Post
    offhand Real Magic by Isaac Bonewitts.
    I haven't really read Bonewitts so I'll with that for my answer.
    Despite his influence he was depicted as talking very heavily of the druid path right?
    see, I never really read a whole lot about that path because we know so little,
    I tend to be more interested in folk practices and beliefs of the area that haven't been glued to the druid label.
    I'm not a hard-core recon, each generation finds their way.
    He certainly helps many people find their way.
    His stuff just never reached out and grabbed my interest.

I've gotten to the point though were I kind of feel that I've read everything that is going to mold my foundation, during that formative process.
    Most of the books i have read were the classics of both the modern pagan emergence and of classical magick
    As well the various historical texts of the indigenous medicine traditions, particulary that of my tribe of course.

There's some newer works i like but they are very specific and outside the realm of mainstream publishing.
    I like Liber Falxifer I and II which is of Qayninite witchcraft mixed with a few other things.
    I also consider books like "Azoetia" and the "Masks of Misrule" to be classics however they aren't well known i would say to the Pagan community at large.
    There's also those books from the 70's and 80's that aren't often talked about anymore.

I hope Laurelei and Natalie Black's Liber Qayn, while recent becomes a classic for Luciferian craft.
    We need good solid books and influences in Luciferian craft.

As for more recent books would Penczak be considered classic?
    I don't consider him classic but think that is the way he is heading.
    I've only glanced over his larger books but i like how he is making ceremonial magick and qabbalah accessible to witches of today who otherwise wouldn't be exposed to it in such a way.
    glancing them over it seemed to be pretty straightforward material for those who have studied such things in depth.
    I did see a few preferences in operation that I've adopted myself so i've been meaning to look his stuff over more thoroughly, there have just been other books calling.

If I had to narrow down the three books that have most influenced my praxis they would be as following-

Regardies Complete Golden Dawn - I love this book for many reasons, and none of those reasons is its poor navigation... You have to know what this book is to get use out of it.
    That said, it is a well integrated system of ceremonial magick and somehow, being published by Llywellyn, is widely accessible.
    It has been awhile sense I've been to my local mass retailer of books, but every now and then there's be one copy of this on the shelve.
    I love this book because it is a wonderful basis of theory, correspondence, working with godforms, works with he enochian tablets and provides a deep and well rounded foundation for praxis.
    This is documentation straight from the order/ While one may prefer something along the lines of the O.T.O or A.A. there isn't a book quite like this for those orders, however
    there is Book 4 which is also quite excellent. Also, Gems of the Equinox.

A Witches Bible by the Farrars - Ceremonial witchcraft, of course I'm going to love it, but it doesn't matter if your witchcraft doesn't have any ceremonial aspects, this book which is really two different books in one,
    will be very good if there's anything about the notion of Wicca, esp. trad-wicca that you like. it is in my opinion the most comprehensive and complete book out there on trad-Wica and perhaps, the best
    book out there on ritualized and sabbatic craft. Even if you do it differently, there's a fair amount to be learned here.

The Stories and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokees by James Mooney- Also a two in one. There are medicine formulas in here, ones that probably shouldn't be. this is an anthropological work, not a grimoire or a book on praxis.
    It isn't going to be very helpful to you without the proper background however it is one of the few legitimate books out there on the subject. There are a few others but you'll pay 1, 2, 3-hundred dollars getting them.
    Mooneys book you can find, sometimes you have to wait and be fine with it being used but you can find it. I've got texts and manuscripts that aren't in there, but i mention this book because it really is the only available example.

When someone asks me what my form of magick is like, I give them the information for these three books, with some citations.

i wish i had a good, solid book on Luciferianism to give them however I haven't found a book on that yet I am content with.
    I also like Valiente, Cochrane and some of Robin Artisson stuff, however we at times but heads having conflicting personalities.
    if only Lon Milo's enochian Vision Magick were old enough to be a classic.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

I haven't read Israel Regardie. I keep meaning to pick them up but...
    Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

High Magick's Aid by Gardner. I studied Wicca for a number of years in the 90s and that was one I just didn't read. I did order it last month so I have it now, I just haven't dug in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrstorm View Post
    I haven't read Israel Regardie. I keep meaning to pick them up but...
    see, the thing about Regardie is that his books really are different from each-other. They cover a lot of the same ideas but with one book you get the Golden-Dawn, with another more of Regardie's own magickal praxis, another his understanding of qabbalah and in another mysticism.
    while the books do overlap each really does have its own feel to it. over his writing career he covered a bit of everything, while still sticking to what it was he did as a practitioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Amberhawk View Post
    High Magick's Aid by Gardner. I studied Wicca for a number of years in the 90s and that was one I just didn't read. I did order it last month so I have it now, I just haven't dug in yet.
    As a former HP of mine would say "Have your read his 'High Magic's Aid' , it is awe-full"
    He just couldn't deal with the punctuation.....
    He said, "he should have left the novels to Valiente"....
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Interesting to see what people have read, and not read...I''ll respond with more thoughts in the morning, since my melatonin has kicked in...
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

I could never get interested in Adler's Drawing Down the Moon either.