Thread: Do Our Dwellings Know When We're Abandoning Them?

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)

Question Do Our Dwellings Know When We're Abandoning Them?

I wasn't sure where to put this. It's not exactly "Fall of the House of Usher" stuff, but both my mom and I have noticed this: As we have packed up our things from the old house and moved them to the new house over the past few months, it seems like things in the old house are breaking a lot, or disintegrating, or failing in some way or another. We were wondering if either a) we had kind of kept the house together and kept it from crumbling just by our own living energies being there every day, or if b) maybe the house has some kind of sentience after all these years of our living in it, and now that we're going, it's just kind of given up. (On the off chance that it's c) beneficent household spirits that just been with us always because they liked us, I did tell them that they were more than welcome to follow us up to the new house. Perhaps they listened?)

What do you think?
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

There could be a few possibilities.

It's possible that you decorated over/around those patchy areas, or that you simply didn't notice them until you paid attention (As moving will do). It's also possible that the breaking down/failing items have to do with weather/seasonal changes, or a lack of maintenance.

That said, I definitely believe that as you pack up, the energy in the house changes, and the faster/more you do do it, the more drastic the changes can be. I personally wouldn't go as far as saying that your house is sentinent, but I could see a possible case being made for the routine you and your mother have made put some energy into the house, and that energy is no longer being maintained (such as I mentioned above).

But what do I know anyways? =P
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sollie View Post
    There could be a few possibilities.

It's possible that you decorated over/around those patchy areas, or that you simply didn't notice them until you paid attention (As moving will do). It's also possible that the breaking down/failing items have to do with weather/seasonal changes, or a lack of maintenance.

That said, I definitely believe that as you pack up, the energy in the house changes, and the faster/more you do do it, the more drastic the changes can be. I personally wouldn't go as far as saying that your house is sentinent, but I could see a possible case being made for the routine you and your mother have made put some energy into the house, and that energy is no longer being maintained (such as I mentioned above).

But what do I know anyways? =P

True, there's certainly a fair bit of neglect. My parents spent some money on the upkeep of the outside of the house, but they tended to ignore the inside of the house. Doing without on this house is what allowed them to purchase the new house, but most of the stuff that could have been fixed along the way was cosmetic. Now, it just seems like everything is breaking at the same time (the ropes in two of the windows, a crack appearing in the cement of one of the back porch stairs, the toaster dying for no reason, a leak in the bathroom plumbing, tiles breaking in the bathroom, particle board that had been what blocked the back of one of my closets from the rest of the attic falling down, and another piece in another of my closets also falling down).

That's a good point about the flow of energy, too. I hadn't though about the feng shui aspect. If we change the flow of energy in a space, and/or don't maintain the energy that has been in a place for a long time, I guess that could contribute to an acceleration of dilapidation. I didn't pay it too much attention before. That might be something worth looking up in a while. Thanks!

Hi DracoJesi, yes, I had wondered a bit about Genius Loci. (Every time I see that expression, I can see and hear my 10th grade Latin Teacher Mr. Creamer, talking about the Lares and Penates.) I suppose they've already gone ahead to the new house, if they are there and aren't bound to this particular parcel of land. If not, they won't have to wait too much longer for the soon-to-be new owner to take possession of the place.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Whay about of you have 2?

We have left our old home (1925 3 bdr,1 bath frame) and moved out onto 10 acres in a trailer that we remodeled to be more handicapped accessible until we could modify the other. We still store something's in the other one, (also let son stay in it for a couple of yrs) and the one out here in the boonies has my familiars buried as I lost them... Hubby stops in the house in town a couple times a week and kinda does a walk thru.. should I do more somehow maybe?

(house in town we have had 29 yrs and the trailer we remodeled a bare frame 11yrs ago) so I'm not sure how the energies have divied up.... it is something to consider possibly.
    [SIGPIC] Kim

I don't think so. I think homes are an absorbant atmosphere, rather then a sentient or aware one.

Abandoned places make us uneasy because as a group animal we need other living beings and so to see an abandoned building that no one uses triggers our primitive hindbrains.

There are no people to fill it with energies and its derelict and sad.
    Last edited by aluokaloo; July 18th, 2017 at 02:50 PM.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

I personally think it depends upon the house and / or upon its location. A house that has experienced certain types of "Situations" in my experience do come to life from the experience. That experience though is usually far more traumatic than simple living in the house but involves death, birth or something of that nature. In that scenario it's as if the house is charged as part of the experience not simply a witness to it. By location it's more along the idea of energy junctures and perhaps the idea of Ley Lines and vortexes. Houses built at the juncture of such an alignment tend to almost become an egregore created by the energy flow at the spot and become living things. Just my experience but I've found a lot of older historical church's, sanctuaries and temples were built at such juncture points and feel alive when you enter them and they know you entered them.

I do think that people living in a house can leave an imprint upon the place. Energy wise similar to the energy print that creates a ghost image upon a place. Under normal conditions the house when empty appears empty and "dead". Yet introduce living energy into the house, even if only for short periods, and the energy print can become activated. Under such the house appears to become alive but it is simply the residual energy print activating. Yet if the house sits empty long enough that residual charge will fade and break down. Unfortunately the residual charge is not evenly placed in the house so the charge is not lost evenly throughout the house. So certain rooms will appear alive while others have lost their charge. Kitchens and bedrooms holding charges longer than say attics, bathrooms, dinning rooms / living rooms or dens. Giving the impression of hotspots within the house as the house fades over time.