Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone got any tips for staying warm this winter?

Has anyone got any tips for staying warm this winter?

Just wondering whether anyone has any ideas for keeping warm this winter.

I live in a damp area of the country and often feel cold. Our house is not particularly large but does have a bit of a condensation problem at this time of year (despite my other half being a fresh air freak and having the windows open). We have oil fired radiator central heating which never seems to warm the house - it is either cold or stuffy.

We don't have a great deal of spare cash to do major things such as extra wall insulation so I wondered if there are any cheap and cheerful fixes to make winter a bit more bearable.

Thanks in advance.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win" - Mahatma Gandhi

When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always - Gandhi

My friends worship the ground I walk on!

One thing that helps is dress in layers. I find I get too warm when the heater kicks on. I often wear a winter scarf in the house. I also like to keep a blanket on my chair. If you will be drinking iced drinks use a cup insulater so your hands don't get chilled. Better
    Move your furniture away from the wall if possible. To keep drafts out I have been known to hang blankets. But that won't work if the window is open. I think your other half should limit the open window to one room that has a door.
    Another beautiful day in the state of denial.

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)
    Socks. Lots of fuzzy socks. And a cat or dog for a lapwarmer. I've got a couple hot water bottles, too, that I have in case the power goes out and I need to keep my bird and cat warm.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

I love fleece blankets. I keep one on my office chair, on my couch, some days even on my kitchen chair. Combined with cozy clothes, it's great against the damp chill.

Invest in an electric sheet. Turn it on a bit before bed, keep it covered by your blanket, and be prepared for good dreams.

I bet there's some good info over in the homesteading/pagan spaces...I swear I saw a post about DIY insulation, but I can't find it now (I think it was by Shanti about her basement?)
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Don't go outside.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by Annorah View Post
    Just wondering whether anyone has any ideas for keeping warm this winter.

I live in a damp area of the country and often feel cold. Our house is not particularly large but does have a bit of a condensation problem at this time of year (despite my other half being a fresh air freak and having the windows open). We have oil fired radiator central heating which never seems to warm the house - it is either cold or stuffy.

We don't have a great deal of spare cash to do major things such as extra wall insulation so I wondered if there are any cheap and cheerful fixes to make winter a bit more bearable.

Thanks in advance.
    Well we live in Switzerland and I spend a lot of time working in Alpine regions so I'm no stranger to the cold.
    Your other half may not like this but it is best to keep all windows closed most of the time to stop warm air escaping. Just open them for a few minutes twice a day to let air in and out. If that is not possible try to keep at least one comfortable room virtually airtight. Also keep the central heating on at a low heat all of the time rather than turning it off and on several times during the day (it is cheaper and stops the walls from getting cold and reduces condensation).

Then as others have said, dress in layers. Have plenty of warm drinks and hot comfort food. Leave the kitchen door open while cooking so that heat from there filters through the house, and then close the doors again.
    Keep windows very clean inside and out as this prevents the build up of condensation. Water droplets congregate around dust particles.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Yes, those rice packs are especially great for cold feet at night.

I find that a hot bath keeps me warmer longer than a shower does.
    Another beautiful day in the state of denial.

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)
    Also, soups and stews and teas (and other assorted hot beverages) are popular in winter because they're like a warm, comfy blanket for your insides. Enjoy lots of hot liquids (and liquidy foods) to help keep your body temperature up.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

is offline Breathe deep, seek peace.
    Learn to knit or crochet and make alllllllllllllll the homemade winter clothing.

When you sleep, avoiding clothing or at least your shirt, while making sure you've got a nice warm pocket from layers of blankets.
    I know this is counter-intuitive but the sweat your clothes collect helps cool you down, creating a dampness.

Also, if either one of you are handy consider installing a wood-burning stove/furnace.
    If you have someone do it for you it can be expensive, however there are many ways to make and apply one...
    and though this may seem daunting they tried and true, and have long been an affordable investment in the oldest and cheapest of homestead situations. You can even make an external furnace and direct the air toward the house.

Also, if your water bill isn't an issue... hot water hitting a cold porcelain or stone tub/shower will create steam warming and adding humidity to the air. survived an ice storm with that one.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast