Thread: How American kids imagined turkish delight after reading Narnia

is offline Jewish Renewalist/Who knows?

How American kids imagined turkish delight after reading Narnia

This is a cute article:

Turkish Delight, or lokum, is a popular dessert sweet throughout Europe, especially in Greece, the Balkans, and of course Turkey. But most Americans, if they have any association with the treat at all, know it only as the food for which Edmund Pevensie sells out his family in the classic children's fantasy novel The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Until I first tried real Turkish Delight in my 20s, I had always imagined it as a cross between crisp toffee and halvah–flaky and melting in the mouth. Here's what it really is: a starch and sugar gel often containing fruit or nuts and flavored with rosewater, citrus, resin, or mint. The texture is gummy and sticky, some of the flavors are unfamiliar to American palates, and the whole thing is very, very sweet. (In addition to the sugar in the mixture, it's often dusted with icing sugar to keep the pieces from sticking together.) While some Turkish Delight newbies may find they enjoy it, it's not likely to be the first thing we imagine when we picture an irresistible candy treat.
    I figured other people who had encountered Narnia before they encountered lokum probably had misconceptions just like mine, so I set out to discover what Americans imagined when they read about Turkish Delight. What kind of candy did we think would inspire a boy to betray his brothers and sisters?
    http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...urkish-delight

I've had some "hand made" turkish delight that I thought was pretty good. (I love rosewater flavored desserts.) But I wouldn't sell out my family for it.
    Better Know a Child Ballad

My Deviantart Page

I love Turkish Delight! Rosewater is so good.
    Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)
    I had always wondered what it tasted like. I could never think of a flavor that would be THAT good. And then I saw some actual Turkish Delight for sale at TJ Maxx HomeGoods. I can't say it wasn't what I was expecting, because I wasn't really expecting anything. It wasn't bad, but I'm not a fan of gummy foods (I hate getting anything stuck in my teeth.... like, gummy candies or Oreos), so I enjoyed that box of the treats, but once they were done, I never felt any compunction to purchase more.

It's been a while since I read the book or saw the movie (either version), but weren't the kids shipped off to that house because of the war going on? Maybe it had been a really long time since they'd last had any sweet treats, and Turkish Delight was just something that was a sweet delicacy that he just couldn't get enough of?
    Last edited by Ahautenites; December 19th, 2015 at 09:52 PM.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)