Thread: Atheism, a path?

Atheism, a path?

Would you consider Atheism to be a path in its own right?
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

huh I guess in a way it sort of is.. Depends on if you only consider atheism as rejecting all gods or just the Christian God? but for some I guess they can consider it "their path" makes one think doesn't it?
    [SIGPIC] Kim

As I would define one's path as their way of journeying through life, then yes, I would consider Atheism a path. There would be different versions of Atheism I guess. Although, does atheism mean "no gods" or "no divinity" period?
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Quote Originally Posted by Sollie View Post
    As I would define one's path as their way of journeying through life, then yes, I would consider Atheism a path. There would be different versions of Atheism I guess. Although, does atheism mean "no gods" or "no divinity" period?
    In fact I do know people who define their path as Atheism but as you and kmartin say there can be different versions of it and definitions of what it actually is vary as well.
    For example there are Atheists of the Dawkins variety (l'd probably call them hard line atheists) who reject all notions of God and divinity as well as anything they call superstitious or supernatural. Towards the other end of the scale there are religions such as Buddhism which are (generally) atheistic in terms of not believing in a personal creator God personality, but still seem to have a notion of divinity. Within my path there are various degrees of atheism and non atheism as well.
    But generally I agree that if atheism forms the backbone of somebody's personal philosoophy and their way of living then it is just as much a "path" as any other.

We have had some pretty vocal atheists here in the past and I hope they find their way back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia_2 View Post
    In order for something to be a path, it must have rules of conduct and/or practices. .
    Im not sure that is true but even if it were true, don't personal ethics and practices count?

Atheism is only one simple belief, not even a comprehensive system of beliefs,
    The more you look at it the less simple Atheism is. Many atheists would argue that since they tend to follow scientific laws and principles it is actually a very comprehensive system.

much less does it have any inherent rules of conduct or practices
    Since when did this become such a fundamental aspect of a path? There are plenty of pagan and non pagan paths which have few, if any, inherent rules of conduct or practice. Mine would be one. And even the "Harm none" or "threefold laws" which permeate Wicca and many other pagan paths are very much open to interpretation; a fact which becomes clear the longer you are involved in those paths.

Sitting in a corner thinking about what I have done
    I completely agree with Sollie, a path is one's own journey, what roads we decide to follow, what we discover along the way and where all of this takes us.
    It took me a very long time to come to the conclusion that I am an Atheist. I studied, considered and experimented along the way before I realized what made sense to me. It is my path.

I also fully agree with you Cassie, Atheism most certainly does have a comprehensive belief system.
    Personally, I do feel I have rules of conduct.

Atheism in itself many be defined by one simple shared belief, that there are no gods, but that doesn't mean that all atheist believe in nothing more then that.
    Many people who claim to follow any number of "religious" paths fully admit to being somewhat eclectic, picking and choosing what parts they choose to practice or even combine areas of belief. Even some who claim to be devoted to one particular group will most likely admit they don't always follow every aspect, dot every I cross every t.
    Atheism is not a religion, many paths are not, but it is still a system of personal belief and isn't that basically what any path is?
    You have the right to remain silent....Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Thank You Sennefer!

"To me, photography is an art of observation.
    It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place...
    I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them." ~ Elliot Erwitt

Once you have seen someones true colors,
    you can never paint over them. ~CLR~

I guess it can be a path.

My boyfriend identifies as an Atheist. He doesn't necessarily NOT believe in SOME sort of higher being, but he thinks it is far removed from us, and does not meddle nor care about our every move. It does not involve itself (for better or worse) in our individual lives. He just accepts life as it is. Maybe luck, if something good should occur (ex. he and my step daughters were in a nasty car wreck, and walked out with minor cuts and bruises, when in reality - they shouldn't have! He doesn't see it as guardian angels or God protecting them. His view is - if God existed and was wholey good - he would not have allowed for his daughters, who are 10 and 7, to experience such a traumatic event as young children).

On a side note, he is accepting of other paths and religions. He doesn't really care what others practice so long as they don't shove their beliefs down their throats. He likes to hear about my path, and lets me do my thing. He even wears a t shirt that has the logo of the Asatru organization I'm a member of

M