Thread: What are the Gods actually?

What are the Gods actually?

I'm sure we have had a thread on this before, but anyway...
    What do people think the gods or their Gods actually are? Are they archetypes, symbols or actual entities? Are they separate, are they aspects of a whole, are they related to each other? Are they perhaps aspects of ourselves? Where do they come from? What is their purpose? Do they have limitations?
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Gods or deities are divine beings. There are two types of gods: fictional gods and non-fictional gods. Fictional gods are found in books, video games, roleplaying games, movies and TV shows. Same thing with non-fictional gods. Both fictional gods and non-fictional gods have similar powers. Each gods whatever is fictional or non-fictional power is different. And to answer your question I think the gods is represent ourselves whatever if you believe in gods or not.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

I'm still debating with myself all these questions, but as of now...

I do think they are separate entities. I also feel that perhaps they are archetypes in some ways. I could go either way with the "only one set of deities called different names" argument, where say, different cultures worship the same god but under different names and different (but often related) stories. Whatever their origins or specifics, I do believe in them. I think they access universal energy on a greater level than we do.

I remember the "Everworld Series" from the same author who wrote the Animorphs series mentioned that they went to another world when they stopped getting worshippers to keep themselves from fading away. I only read the first maybe second books in that series, but that was an interesting concept that resonated with me. In the Animorphs series, the Ellimist character was a really interesting take on "God" and definitely worth checking out. It was pretty deep for a 90s kid book series. Cassandra Chance also has a similar idea, where the gods were banished to another world because they were a danger to humanity. Those are both fiction, but I really do wonder if perhaps deity are either based in another dimension or dimension skip.

While I do believe they are unique "people", I can also completely understand those people who think they are simply energy that have been personified by our ancestors.
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)
    Wow! I haven't thought of the Everworld series in ages! Those books were fascinating, and I was so TICKED OFF at the way it just *ended* like that, so that the author could concentrate on the Animorph series instead.

But I digress.

I'm not at all sure what my gods are. I know what They are supposed to be, but for me, They're far more omnipresent and omniscient than They are supposed to be. They are Themselves as individuals, but They are also facets of a far more unknowable, un-talk-to-able Divinity. The ones that I was divined Beloved of in this lifetime imbued me with aspects of what They represent. (Amun-Ra - creativity, Bast - nurturing, Seshat-Nit-Nebt-het - analytical and good with my hands, and Heru-wer - kinda heroic sometimes.) Whereas, my Parents, Set (Father) and Yinepu-Wepwawet (Dad) gave me traits that will be with me in this life and any other. (Chaotic Good, but also willing to make the hard choices; and serious about my work, but having a fun sense of humor, too. Oh, and both Parents gave me large doses of restlessness and wanderlust.)

As to where They come from... well, there are quite a few Kemetic creation stories. None of them are true, and all of them are true.

The main function of my gods is to maintain ma'at (order/right-living). They are supposed to destroy isfet (chaos/destruction/uncreation... think of the Nothing in "The Neverending Story".)

My gods do have limitations amongst Themselves, but as far as Their followers are concerned, They might as well be limitless.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

(ever-apply: "In my view...")

The gods are individual beings--that is to say that they have thoughts, desires, and motivations of their own. They are more than what is found in books, myths, and tales. I personally view many myths of the gods (for instance, those found in the Prose Eddas) as the ancient equivalent of Marvel today; I view them as entertainment and lessons, that Loki as told in the Lokasenna is a character portraying Loki, just as Loki of Asgard is a character portraying Loki the God.

More than this, though, the gods are the highest and greatest of collective forces of nature; especially deities like the Vanir, and some of the Aesir. It ties in with a Slavic notion of "Slovo" (not sure what languages I can type in here). "Slovo" as a word means just that--"word". But in a spiritual sense, it is much more than just a word. A Slovo is a Word of a god; for instance, every single thunderstorm is the Slovo of Thor-Perun. That Slovo is not just lightning, or thunder, or heavy rain and wind, but every single thing about a thunderstorm all at once. Thor-Perun, being the source of this force, is the Slovo of the Storm; he ​is the storm as much as he creates the storm--it is his physical presence on this plane of existence, that he creates just by being here.

In a like manner, Epona is the Slovo of a wild herd of horses, or the unbending strength of domestic horses. Ran is the Slovo of the wild and deadly sea. Hekate is the Slovo of the Night, and all that entails. Etc, etc.

Some deities do not behave as such, and are marked as being different. For instance, Odin does not create thunder, or fire, or wild guidance in his wake. Rather, he wanders the Earth (when he does and will,) gathering stories of ours, leaving stories of his own, or simply exploring the state of Mankind. He is guile and wisdom, but also recklessness and foolishness. Odin is not occupied with a single purpose (and indeed, neither is Thor or any other deity for that matter) but rather he is occupied with whatever Odin desires or whims. Be it the acquisition of knowledge or the blind hunt of love, Odin does what Odin does.

is offline Wondering where I left the TARDIS....
    I believe they are sentient energy. A pervasive energy, not limitless, but huge. They are separate from each other, but can be connected.
    Sat Bast, meryt Serqet-Aset her Yenipu-Wepwawet her HetHert-Sekhmet
    "While I dance I cannot judge,
    I cannot hate,
    I cannot seperate myself from life.
    I can only be joyful and whole.
    That is why I dance."
    --Hans Bos