Thread: Animal Spirit Guide/Totem Animals

Animal Spirit Guide/Totem Animals

So I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on Spirit Guides in the form of animals or anything else as well as power animals or totem animals? Do you have one? Have you worked with them at all? Have any stories of a time they came to you or helped you through something?

Personally my Spirit Animal comes to me as a Fox, and I would also call the Fox my power animal or totem animal if you will. I believe he has been around and with me my entire life and work with him and the energies of the Fox in rituals and for guidance. I always felt that I related more towards felines or even the wolf at one point but after meditating on it for quite awhile after I started my path it was always a Fox that would come to me. As a kid we would go camping when I was young and I always distinctly remember when I would see a red fox. The Fox itself had also been persistant with me in dreams throughout my life and shown itself to me in different ways at different times. Thinking about it now and looking back it all seems to make perfect sense. After I started researching paganism it was one of the first things that clearly appeared to me and helped me solidify that I was on the right path. The characteristics of the fox and his energies also mix with mine and working with him in ritual, spell and meditation has definitely helped guide me and keep me on track. Recently I've had him pull me towards other energies that I haven't quite gotten a grasp on yet but I'm working on it!

I have had one life my life. As a child she was a tiger ad now as I'm older and actually realizing its not just my imagination actually learned how to connect with "Hannah" who has morphed from a tiger to a cougar. There are others, the come and go and switch depending on what's happening in my life, but she has been with me the longest.
    [SIGPIC] Kim

A totem is not an individuals personal animal spirit or guide. A totem is ones clan or family animal. It denotes kinship and lineage.
    It is an Ojibwa word tough most if not all native tribes have this concept.

Now, your personal animal may be a manifestation or variant of your families Totem. For example, if you are bird clan y'all may be different birds.

I'll post my notes on various animal guides and how to work with them after I'm done compiling information on the Middle Pillar ritual for a friend of mine.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by Standing Bear View Post
    Most of my spirit guides at least shift into an animal form occasionally. There is one, who has been with my since childhood, who changes between human and wolf forms. My power animal/fetch/familiar is a bear (hence my name), and I also have connections with spiders, blue jays, snakes and quite a few other creatures. Many deities also like to appear to me in animal guises.
    Many of mine do as well. Such as Old Coyote, Obsidian Butterfly, Hummingbird Warrior, Grandmother Spider, Galoneda (snake) and Solegeh (Eagle)
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

This is an older thread but though I'd respond to it.

Since I follow a shamanic like path I have spirit allies and such but really do not use the term totems. Mainly because to me totems are for families or clans not individuals. The idea of totemism for most that I know really is sort of taboo now and not really used as the term has become so corrupted. I think I also dislike using the term since ones allies do not have to only be from the avian or four legged kingdom but can be from the stone people, fined ones or the green ones as well.

Guide wise I think we may have any number of guides through out the course of our lives. Some will be with us for the entire duration of our lives, others will only be with us for short periods. I do think there is a difference between a birth guide or power animal and an allie that may aide us. Personally I think there are guides who will walk with us upon the physical plain and be of this reality and thus take shape and form here and there will be guides who will be of the other plains and dimensions who will be of those plains and realities. As such the reasons or purposes for them guiding or aiding us will never truly make sense to us and we can never attribute the human notions of good / evil to them nor the manners and methods they employ in how they interact with us.

I am probably different in that I recognize and accept the notion of the Contrary or shadow totem / guide that resides within our internal psyche and landscape and upon the physical plain as well as the other dimensions. My biggest shadow was snake.

One thing I do find interesting is that most often I seldom see anyone ever speak about being challenged and dismembered by their "Totem" or "Guide". Most often it's go on a quest by the 101 books to find their guide via a guided meditation. I know for me it was nothing that easy. Dying early in life. Nearly dying multiple times over the years and avoiding death's hand through the intervention of other's. Nothing like being torn apart by a pack of white wolves in vision and journey and having marks on your body for a few days afterwards in the real world where each mouth locked upon your skin. Then having it happen again and again over a few days period as they pull parts out and put you back together, all the while as a woman stands by and watches. Then having people come up to you in the real world and tell you hang tough your almost done and the pack is nearly done, only to hear the howl of the dogs each night.

So it's interesting to me when I hear others talk about listening to a guided meditation about finding their "Totem". Granted the other guides I have and what you might call "Totems" were nothing like Wolf but they to had their test and mannerism. Maybe mine is different because I actually died early in life. Maybe it's because my fetish in my youth was a wolf I found in the rocks.

My Allies though Blue Herring, Deer, Hemlock, Blue Spruce, Dragon Fly & Damsel Fly, Wolf, and shadow would be Snake. As far as Anthropomorphic beings I've shapeshifted and shiftshaped with most of my guides and the divinities I am bound to are all known for it but especially the Kemetic ones.