Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Incense, Herbs and Oils for migraines?

Incense, Herbs and Oils for migraines?

Has anyone found anything "herbal" soothing for migraines? Thus far, peppermint I found has helped (both tea's and oils).. Any other recommendations?

My Herbal Remedies book says to rub lavender essential oil on your temples, or find feverfew or butterbur capsules, or feverfew tincture. I can recommend some online apothecaries, if you don't know where to get those. But I figure most people (especially we metaphysicians) know where to get lavender EO

I do have one other book I can check when I wake up more :-p
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

Quote Originally Posted by October View Post
    My Herbal Remedies book says to rub lavender essential oil on your temples, or find feverfew or butterbur capsules, or feverfew tincture. I can recommend some online apothecaries, if you don't know where to get those. But I figure most people (especially we metaphysicians) know where to get lavender EO

I do have one other book I can check when I wake up more :-p
    Hrmm, interesting. Thank you!! Let me know if you find anymore :- )

Ok, my other book (now I've had my tea) is getting a bit preachy about lifestyle changes. But she does recommend niacinamide (300 mg daily), B6 (200 mg daily), and rutin (200 mg daily) supplements, as well as Alacer's Emergen-C (2 packets twice a day), and sometimes a good strong dose of caffeine. She also recommends feverfew, but that's a long-term daily thing as well.

She also has some recipes for tea, but just for headaches, not migraines specifically.

lemon balm
    feverfew
    lavender

~~~~~

chamomile
    lemon balm
    passionflower
    skullcap

~~~~

lemon balm
    skullcap
    chamomile
    feverfew

Feverfew apparently has the best track record of any herb for helping. Here's a link to a capsule already made up: http://www.bulkapothecary.com/search...query=feverfew

And here's for the bulk herbs (you can find gelatin capsules at most health food stores): https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/pr...verfew/profile

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the information.I do think lifestyle changes are important for migraines (esp to figure out *what* is causing them). I don't drink soda, or any fast food. I'm currently doing some allergy testings to see if I can troubleshoot it a bit more. I'm on a strict routine of eating/ sleeping/ medication/ going to the doctors.. and they are still 3-4 times a week from 4 hours to several days long. I've done the ring about with the doctor office, anti seizure medications (for epilepsy), narcotics (which I've found out I'm allergic to!) beta blockers, vertigo type medications, Zyrtec (and other allergy medication).. and gone to the extremes at 22 yrs old, to get pressure pointed "botox" to try to freeze the nerves to get relief.. to say the least, I'm sick of medication.. I'm trying yoga and various other things.

I just ordered lavender, lemon balm, feverfew, scullcap, and butterbur. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    Thank you for the information.I do think lifestyle changes are important for migraines (esp to figure out *what* is causing them). I don't drink soda, or any fast food. I'm currently doing some allergy testings to see if I can troubleshoot it a bit more. I'm on a strict routine of eating/ sleeping/ medication/ going to the doctors.. and they are still 3-4 times a week from 4 hours to several days long. I've done the ring about with the doctor office, anti seizure medications (for epilepsy), narcotics (which I've found out I'm allergic to!) beta blockers, vertigo type medications, Zyrtec (and other allergy medication).. and gone to the extremes at 22 yrs old, to get pressure pointed "botox" to try to freeze the nerves to get relief.. to say the least, I'm sick of medication.. I'm trying yoga and various other things.

I just ordered lavender, lemon balm, feverfew, scullcap, and butterbur. : )

That's why I didn't mention the lifestyle things. I figured you've probably heard all the things a million times before. It sounds like an insane journey you've been on, and I totally understand about being sick of drugs.

But I'm glad you found some things you can use! Let me know how they work for you. I've been experimenting with herbal remedies for a while now, so feel free to drop me a line if you want to bounce ideas around

Quote Originally Posted by October View Post
    That's why I didn't mention the lifestyle things. I figured you've probably heard all the things a million times before. It sounds like an insane journey you've been on, and I totally understand about being sick of drugs.

But I'm glad you found some things you can use! Let me know how they work for you. I've been experimenting with herbal remedies for a while now, so feel free to drop me a line if you want to bounce ideas around
    Yeah. I think that was my first step, trying lifestyle changes, removing stress, learning ways to "deal with stress", meditating, youga, exercise, making a strict routine. Cutting gluten at one point, food restricting, to test the migraine triggers. I started adding in vim's (I take a prenatal milti vim daily, with another cap of iron), Vim D, magnesium oxide (2,000 mg), I find the last very helpful for muscles. Etc..

I sent a letter to my doctor to double check a few of the supplements. I can't have immune supportive ones (I have autoimmune disease). I also can't take anything that alters my platelet counts.

But yes, I'd love to bounce back and fourth with you about remedies and idea's :- )

When I was getting migraines a lot, I started doing steams: get a bowl, usually metal (mixing and baking bowls are perfect!) and fill it with hot water. Sometimes you can steep a tea bag, or add oils (I usually did eucalyptus, sometimes a mint or lavender) or crushed herbs to it, get a towel and put it over your head, taking a 30 second break from underneath as needed. I did this shortly before bed and didn't have a headache or migraine for the next few days.
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)
    I don't have any input (I'm one of those who doesn't want to smell, hear or see *anything* when I have a migraine), but I wanted to wish you good luck in getting rid of the migraines.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sollie View Post
    When I was getting migraines a lot, I started doing steams: get a bowl, usually metal (mixing and baking bowls are perfect!) and fill it with hot water. Sometimes you can steep a tea bag, or add oils (I usually did eucalyptus, sometimes a mint or lavender) or crushed herbs to it, get a towel and put it over your head, taking a 30 second break from underneath as needed. I did this shortly before bed and didn't have a headache or migraine for the next few days.
    Hrm, thanks for the input!! I'll try it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahautenites View Post
    I don't have any input (I'm one of those who doesn't want to smell, hear or see *anything* when I have a migraine), but I wanted to wish you good luck in getting rid of the migraines.
    Thank you :- ) And yeah, I understand that.. with my migraines, I don't want to hear/ see or smell anything, as it seems everything makes me feel worse. I think the peppermint helps with the nausea and soothing for me tho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast