Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How visible are your beliefs?

How visible are your beliefs?

How obvious are your religious/spiritual/philosophical beliefs? If somebody got talking to you for half an hour in the street or in a department store would your inner beliefs show? How about if you invited an acquaintance to a dinner party at your home;- would they see or hear anything that would give some clues about your path?
    Is it important that something about your beliefs should show, or are such things best kept completely private and/or secret?
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

To me, for the Average Joe (or uber-Catholic family member), my beliefs don't need to be public. I had a long enough atheist phase that I'm pretty good at nodding along and not getting involved, and also I believe that my personal beliefs are my business and shouldn't factor into any surface-level conversation that isn't about religion/culture/history/whatever. I don't usually mind extremely devout people letting their beliefs colour the way they talk, but I keep mine pretty close.

As for my house, yeah, I think some people might get an inkling. But then they have to be close enough friends/relations that we let them into our house in the first place. But after that, it is our private space, and we are allowed to express whatever we want in the privacy of our homes. We do keep it quiet in communal areas because my dad is Catholic and while he doesn't mind our stuff about, his family visits from time to time, and it's just best if our accoutrement isn't too obvious. But usually it's not an issue. Like, he has a rosary on our family altar and it's no big deal.

Now, in my room, there is no doubt. It's like a the Disney Store and a metaphysical bookstore exploded inside a museum in here. I've got 5 shrines, my altar, crystals and stones, wands, candles, cauldrons, and tarot cards in amongst my tiaras, archaeological artefacts, American Girl doll stuff, and Minnie Mouse collection. I have four bookshelves dedicated to witchcraft and paganism. And that's just my room.

So, to answer your question, talking to random people, I keep my religious and political beliefs to myself. Over dinner, we can gossip about the Greek deities and who's in charge of mead at the next holiday. And in my room, we can debate the merits of candle magick versus potions, Iolo Morgannwg vs Geoffrey of Monmouth, or which princess is the best. (It's totally Rapunzel, but I will accept Belle)
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

When I first joined Mystic Wicks my beliefs were mostly hidden. MW and a few other online communities were places for me to read, and watch and learn... and talk to other people who understood - ahhhh nostalgia! It seemed like there were so few people around me in my everyday life that spoke about energy or witchy stuff in public, so I hid it mostly. (I can't believe it now, but it's true!)

Now I'm way more open. I think the world is way more open now too? OR maybe it's just that I'm getting old and I don't care what people think anymore.

I find anyone new that comes into my life these days just sort of gets it, or at least they are interested to know more.

*Looking around my home right now* I have runes on my windowsill here, and some jars of water sitting by the back walk out. The tarot decks upstairs are like rabbits - they seem to multiply at a dizzying speed. But they are not on the main floor. Ahhhhhh no I lied. There's a deck on my dining room table. But it's discreet.

I actually don't have anything out that is a dead giveaway if someone just came in and didn't really poke around. But my opinions and my conversation would likely "out" me as a little eccentric.

Thanks for this topic Cassie! xo

I think it would be obvious to anyone talking to me maybe not about the deeper mystical part about witchcraft or hoodoo stuff but if someone walked into my house and looked? I think they would be able to tell. Rosaries, book case of bibles and tarot books, candles and crystals discreetly placed around tall glass candles... I am definitely more "Out" now than I was a few years back....
    [SIGPIC] Kim

I don't like talking to random people about my beliefs. I can discuss abstracts all day long, but I won't be personal unless I know the person. That was even when I was Christian and agnostic.

I occasionally would (when I was a Christian) wear the cross, but only because they were gifts to me and pretty. I've worn pentacles once in awhile, but usually I can't find necklaces I like (I'm rather picky).

As for my house, I like subtle altars in the living spaces. If someone were to see my actual altar, they might be suspicious lol, but might not completely understand what it meant (yay eclecticism!) But then again, I have a varied assortment of interests anythings, and so people could assume they are just part of that. I've been called gothic by my family, I like anime and manga, swords and history, mythology, am a writer, photographer, and knick knack and rock collector. =P So they usually dismiss it.
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)
    I pass for nondenominational Christian. This has caused me a few moments of dismay when people try to get me to attend their Christian Ladies groups or go visit their church for their weekend-fun-and-drum-up-church-business meetings.

I generally keep my beliefs to myself and stay out of religious conversations. But on the off chance that I find myself involved in them, I explain my position briefly and in a way that doesn't encourage further questions.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

I am the only pagan in the home. You would have to look real close and know a bit about paganism to see my pagan items around my home. I keep my beliefs to myself as a previous poster mentioned. No need to explain myself at my age.
    My partner and teen DD are both atheist so sometimes they poke fun at moms paganism.

Hay quá. Cám ơn bạn đã chia sẻ thông tin bổ *ch. Mình đang cần cái n*y. Cám ơn nhiều nhé.

Use to be but now with a devoted atheist, so not so much but if you dig around you will find a lot of books. I keep my faith Close to my heart where it belongs.
    Kickass dragon ---->

I <3 obs

Always believe in yourself. Do this and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear. - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen

I just realised I didn't answer this myself.
    At work I doubt that anybody knows what my spiritual beliefs are. I don't talk about it at all. Those who are instinctive or who read between the lines would probably think I am an atheist or have vague pagan leanings.
    At home it is a different story. My girlfriend and I run a Coven and our daughter is also a Satanist. We are not big on shrines but there are plenty of books and religious/spiritual items around which reflect our interest in Satanism and also Buddhism and Paganism. There are very few visitors to our home who don't know what we are into. On the other hand things can be hidden or kept out of sight when we need to be discrete.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast