Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How visible are your beliefs?

If a stranger talked to me for half an hour they wouldn't really know my beliefs unless esoteric subjects came up. They would know if they saw my bookshelves though. lol

There is nothing outwardly visible about my beliefs unless you go in my bedroom, where there are shelves of books with witch in the title. Recently I had to start explaining my beliefs to my youngest son (who is almost 10) as he noticed all those books and started wondering why I want to be a witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
    How obvious are your religious/spiritual/philosophical beliefs? If somebody got talking to you for half an hour in the street or in a department store would your inner beliefs show? How about if you invited an acquaintance to a dinner party at your home;- would they see or hear anything that would give some clues about your path?
    Is it important that something about your beliefs should show, or are such things best kept completely private and/or secret?
    Been running this one over in my head for a bit and though I'd give it an answer.

For me my life path and spiritual path are two different things though they are intertwined within each other. My life path is that of a shamanic like pathway where my spiritual path is that of a hedgerider / Greenwitch and Hellenic practitioner. As such there really are no visible signs to mark me as a shamanic practitioner. Nothing that would show up on the skin, nothing I would wear in public or could be seen by the naked eye. No robes, no rings, no charms, no regalia, no nothing that would make me stand out. As a Hedgerider / Greenwitch or Hellenic practitioner the same I do not wear any so called modern pagan or neo-pagan jewelry or such stuff. Even if I should go to a pagan gathering I would not wear it and to be honest the imagery that most modern pagans wear and associated with the Hellene or other gods / goddesses I am blood bound to I despise and would not disgrace myself by wearing.

In discussion, that is harder to say for while I do not boast or go out of my way to bring it up if it is brought up in conversation I will openly discuss things. But I also hold a degree in history and sociology and have an interest in other things such a mythology, theology and geology so joining in discussions doesn't specifically mean it pertains to my life path or spiritual path but could simply pertain to one of my areas of interest. Being somewhat of a Recon with regards to my Hellene influence and trying to have a strong academic knowledge of the gods and goddesses I am bound to to include those they are often conflated with means I tend to study more than just the Hellene lore.

For example I am bound to Artemis and her many personas. Yet that also leads for instance to Mary of Ephesus which ties into the Cult of Mary and the early Catholic Church as Mary gained many of the attributes of Diana of Ephesus of course gained them from being conflated by Rome with the earlier Artemis cult at Ephesos. Just a note Latin spelling is Ephesus, Hellene spelling is Ephesos (latinized)

At my home I do not have persay an altar though I do have statuary items of my main deities on a few shelves and in glass cabinets. Books at my computer desk regarding certain divinities or certain practices such a divination in ancient Greece, Restless Dead in Ancient Greece, Roman Religion and the Cult of Diana at Aricia (Lake Nemi), or other similar type books. Various books scattered through out my house in my bedroom for instance that I am reading or re-reading.

For me it is not important that my beliefs be known or anything be visible. As one who walks a shamanic type path it has always been my experience when the spirits need me to do something or I am required to act as the hollow bone or talking stick then I will shine and the person seeking will know me. Until that time there is no reason to be anything else than what I am. The same has held true when I have needed the assistance of another shamanic practitioner to aide me, they have shown like a beacon and I have been guided to them or they to me. Much in the same concept that when the student is ready a teacher or guide will appear for the duration of the need.

For me it comes down to trust, when you get to things that close to your heart you have to be able to trust who you discuss it with, my practice raises many questions from people that I don't trust with the answers... but then again I don't trust anyone so it's probably on me, I have some sacred symbols tattooed on me but very few could interpret them, apart from that nobody would know until they attempted to push their own belief's on me..

They aren't. You can probably catch elements of them in how I approach certain situations (because if my beliefs don't influence my actions somewhere then what's the point again) and you might catch more hints if I discuss certain topics but figuring out my beliefs without me playing tour guide probably won't happen.

For me, I wear them on my sleeve. I won't hesitate from talking about them, within context. A large part of my social life right now is Pagan centred. I am still learning the lesson of maintaining mystery around some experiences and topics though, so as not to dilute their sacredness.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2