Thread: Garden Offerings

Question Garden Offerings

Hope this is the right place to post...Wasn't sure which forum it fit most into.

Anyways. We are in the process of making a garden (w00t no apartment anymore!) and I would like to incorporate offerings into it to my agriculture deities. Obviously there's the pouring of liquids,etc, but I had something specific I wanted to do but I'm not sure how to manifest it.

I'd like to make little discs to bury in the soil. Obviously, they would have to be biodegradable. This is my first garden, and I'm only just learning everything, but is there a way to make a slow release fertilizer (or plant feeder/etc)?

Ideally, it'd be like a seed bomb but without the seeds (I don't want weeds or other stuff competing with what I plant), and able to be shaped and easily made (I like to think I'm crafty, but I also have little time and less space). I was thinking of something along those clay cinnamon ornaments you make around Christmas time for the texture, but I realize that may not be possible.

I have some ideas, but I'm hoping to either find some validation for them or some better ideas. =) Thank you!
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

I would think the flour version of the clay/cinnamon ornaments would work just make them flatter than you would a bisque and dry them /bake them hard before you put them in.. they would be very biodegradable. (I think?) and then after you could put just little offering plates in strategic points of your garden to "Offer" up goodies as you felt was right? (I actually like your idea and when we finally do our I plan on doing this or something similar) which deity's do you mean by chance?
    [SIGPIC] Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kmartin60 View Post
    I would think the flour version of the clay/cinnamon ornaments would work just make them flatter than you would a bisque and dry them /bake them hard before you put them in.. they would be very biodegradable. (I think?) and then after you could put just little offering plates in strategic points of your garden to "Offer" up goodies as you felt was right? (I actually like your idea and when we finally do our I plan on doing this or something similar) which deity's do you mean by chance?
    So maybe something like this recipe? http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9528/ornament-dough/ If I do these I can doodle on them as I feel. =)

Haides and Persephone. I know Haides isn't often known as a agricultural god, but he is. =) I wanted discs because of the Greek tradition of burying their dead with coins.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

garden offerings

I think that would be awesome! I love the idea..... I have been saving the lids off of like small cans of cat food? and tin cans cleaning them so I could paint on symbols etc and hang around the place... maybe you could also be able to incorporate them when doing ritual spell casting? just a thought,

never would have thought of hades in a gardening light! I use St Isadore and Coventina a lot for farming and water
    I cant wait to see them!
    [SIGPIC] Kim

Yup, in his cultural history he is an agri deity because of his domain.

I'm probably going to experiment with coffee grounds and epsom salt...maybe putting it in a biodegradable tablet or something. Tea bags? Or using honey or a liquid to shape it, then bake it.

Because obviously we will be composting and fertilizing, so I want something to just give it a boost and not hurt it at all, and that won't clutter up if it doesn't dispose fast enough, and also not attract ants, etc.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

That actually sounds excellent! I know one of the garden places where we bought our blueberry plants told hubby to scatter the coffee grounds around the plants to improve them.... so this sounds perfect! I'm trying to remember it might be peppermint? that keeps ants away... wonder if the contents of a peppermint tea bag added as well to your mix might help with the ant problem?
    Like the idea~
    [SIGPIC] Kim