Thread: Tincture questions

Tincture questions

Hi Herbal Enthusiasts! So, I'm researching how to make tinctures. My goal is to find healthy alternatives or preventative action versus modern medicine. I am in my 30's and am noticing the increasing dependencies on medication for my family and I. I'm talking about over the counter pain relievers, antihistamines, sleep aids ect... Can I make different tinctures with rhodiola rosa root, white willow bark, valerian root, echinacea, stinging nettle, and skullcap? I like tinctures because the shelf life is up to 3 years and they are easy to make and take... However, I'm wondering if this method is suitable for those particular herbs. I'm also curious on the effectiveness of taking tinctures? Does anyone have experience with using them? Also any suggestions on what to use as an anti-inflammatory for arthritis? Many Thanks!

Hi, I have used tinctures since the early 2000's mainly Teasel, Ladies Mantle, Motherwort and a few others.. The main one I am using now is Chickweed... the herbs you mentioned up above the only ones I have dealt much with is the Stinging Nettle and the Valerian root.... the main thing you should check on is about taking them together what affects there might be (that's the part that can mess things up I've always done them just one at a time).....

and as for the arthritis... hmmm I will check my herb books and see what I can find?
    Last edited by Kmartin60; September 26th, 2016 at 10:42 AM.
    [SIGPIC] Kim

Awesome Thank you!

Ok, I found 3 right off the bat that sound pretty good. Simple, ingredients you probably have at home!

1. Chili Pepper tincture--100 grams dried chili pepper, alcohol 750 ML, water 600 ML, put all in container cap tightly put in dark cupboard for 10 days shaking daily... to use: apply with cotton ball to afflicted area 3 times a day. (can use vodka, gin, whiskey etc)

2. Ancients recipe--Take 10 heads of garlic (or as many as you desire) clean then cut into small pieces put into a jar and cover with alcohol cap, put in dark cupboard for at least 10 days shaken daily then strain and decant into smaller dropper bottles is you so desire. Take 3 drops in a glass of water 3 times a day OR some take a dropperful squirt 3 times a day.

3. There is another tincture that just gives what herbs it uses not the amounts of each! So will list the herbs but suggest you check each one out to make sure they wont affect your health on other areas..(I noticed a couple of the herbs are ones that can affect blood pressure so be careful whichever ones you chose to try!)

A. Yucca Root--reduces swelling and manages cartilage...
    B. Devil Claw--Useful for arthritis, gout, bursitis, tendonitis....
    C. Cayenne Pepper--Pain killer
    D. Yarrow--(also known as Ladies Mantle?) Anti inflammatory..
    E. Slippery Elm Bark--Reduces Swelling...
    F. Parsley--For acute inflammations..
    G. Alfalfa Leaf--" "
    H. Buckthorn Bark--removes excess fluid from swollen joints..
    I. Burdock Root--" " (helps in these areas as well)

There is another herb that is very useful will come back and add once I remember its name or find it again!

J.
    [SIGPIC] Kim

Many Thanks!!! From me and my hubby!!

TUMERIC... I cant believe I couldn't remember it since I have bottle of it to take! ugghhhh LOL my mind is like a sieve anymore but it helps with inflammation and pain.... (Also dandelion maybe?) I like the dandelion and chickweed I take them often.
    [SIGPIC] Kim

I have read devil claw is great for arthritis and inflammation. I was taught to prepare different herbal tinctures separately if you can then mix once strained. You can make synergistic blends, so the overall effect is more powerful. For example, for immune support and adrenal support I made a blend of ashwagandha and siberian ginseng which really go well together. I was also taught herbs generally are better blended than used separately!!!