Thread: Secular witch

Secular witch

Hey, all! I'm new to the forum and very happy to be here! I've been looking all over for a place like this, so I'm excited to post. I guess what I'd like to start off with is a post about secular witchcraft. I, personally, do not pray to deities. My god(dess) is essentially Life and the Universe. I put my vibes out, respect and actively appreciate the life I'm gifted with and surrounded by, and hope that with some energy on my part, what I desire comes back to me or to those I wish. That being said, I really, really love having statues and figurines on my altar. I love the concept of Brigid, of Morrigan, of Cerridwen. I love having them there because I really love the vibe they bring to my workspace. I also have a St. Francis figurine on my altar because I love my fur babies and I like to think he protects them. Now, is that convoluted? To love the idea of Brigid, Morrigan, and Cerridwen, but put my faith in St. Francis protecting my babies? Probably. I was raised pretty Catholic, so that may be me clinging to some of that, but I digress!

The point of this post was to put out my secular path, to see if there might be anyone else on this site who understands my perspective, maybe walks a similar path? I once had a conversation with a witch who was pretty religious in that she believed and prayed to multiple deities. She never understood why I had the statues and figurines if I didn't honor them and why I even had a St. Francis. I know everyone is different in their spirituality, and in many cases it's a very complex subject. Just looking for others like me!

Hi! I use to be in the same frame of mind, until I felt the presence of my patron Goddess. So maybe it's the same case with you?

I would love for you to go into detail! How did this come about? Through meditation? Ritual? Do you pray to other deities as well?

Yes, well it was thru a mixture of rituals and meditations. I tried to connect to different deities, from various pantheon. I tried my best to be open minded. But you know at first. I realize now that I didn't want in some part of my brain to be Her. I follow Sekhmet and she can be real though sometimes in some lessons. I wanted someone smoother. But then learned about Bastet, which I also follow now. They are known to go together in some belief. ( more like sisters, some even say they are the same, just different mood, if I may say it like that). So anyways, I realized it all fitted together, and also recognized all different kind of signs that She was there from the begining of my teenage years. (It's like around 25 years of my life).

Some people will find Her in weeks, others in months... So don't force anything. Or feel like it's not your thing. Because She will eventually show up.

Just to give you an idea. In one of my morning rituals, I ask to give me a sign if it was Her. I stayed there in meditations for a while. Nothing came. So I decided to go for a walk and shopping. As I turned the corner of the street, I almost bumped someone, and after excusing myself I looked at the boutique next to me. And the only thing my eyes saw was big pair of lioness eyes on a t-shirt! And I just knew. Right there. It's not the sign itself, because then it's easy to see signs everywhere you know. But more the fact, the intense sensation straight to my face, that Sekhmet was my patron Goddess. I was trying for a few months then.

Also a High priestess that helped me thru the processed, well she has multiple deities that changes thru times. She has like one that is always there, sometimes less present and other time pretty much in her life. So I wouldn't worry much either if you feel attracted to many deities. Especially at beginning, it's good to meet different One..

Just to play devil's advocate, and show a complete different side of how Bast(et) may work...

I've been following Bast for years (decades, even)... and, yet, I still feel like greenthing1, that nature, Life, the Universe itself, is my Deity of "choice". Sure, still consider myself a devotee of Bast(-Mut), but I don't pray to Her, we have more like a Mom-Sister sort of relationship going on. I know She's there, watching over me, but She isn't really the deity I go to for "help", "energy", etc.

I also don't think that Bast (or Sekhmet, or any other god or goddess, for that matter) is for everyone. If She/They aren't there, that's okay... don't force Them into your "box", don't force yourself into Their service. If you're happy with how your spirituality works, that's what matters!

(I also love having statues around, even if I don't worship/devote/work with the spirits those statues represent!)
    ~~ Daughter of Bast-Mut; Follower of Bast-Mut, Amun-Ra, & Khonsu ~~
    ~ Druid-ish Kemetic, affiliated with Kemetic Orthodoxy and O.B.O.D. ~
    ~~ Member of the #MarriageMilitia ~~

I don't see anything that could be interpreted as a devil advocate comment. Actually, I find that complementary. Everyone has different way of seeing things and different experience. Sharing our concept is helping all of us to grow!

I had (have?) Baste as my companion goddess for quite some time during thru the worst of my MS lapses (called by my familiar a male cat named Jack!) A few years ago I started getting really interested into Hecate, and just this year I feel I'm being called by the "Morrighan"

So when I do my daily prayer or any magical spell work I have my my tall glass encased Jesus candles, a statue of Mary, Joseph, 2 knitted goddess dolls Baste and Hecate, with a spots waiting to be filled with "St Francis" and the "Morrighan" and "DianChehte!

(I admit I pray to St Francis daily for all the critters I either see or hear about daily) pretty nutz heh?
    [SIGPIC] Kim

I love that, Kmartin60. It makes me feels so much better knowing you pull from every direction for your faith. It makes me feel more validated if that makes sense.

And I love the responses from moon81goddess and Nesertset Laflamme.

I find myself gathering all of these new methods of practicing, but I am a ritual person. Through and through. I need the routine and I like having specific steps in order to accomplish things. I'm really drawn to hoodoo, but at the same time, I feel like that isn't my culture to draw from. I have no roots in it, and I feel as though I'd be invasive by practicing it; as though I'm appropriating a culture. I don't want to do that. I think I'm just very drawn to the ritual, the steps of it all. I think I should be more of an admirer of it and maybe incorporate themes of hoodoo into my work.