Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Does experience always make you darker?

I have to agree with most of the posts so far on this bit. A lot of it is cultural Taboos or issues, what one might consider dark, another might thinking nothing of at all, for example I've always looked at blood as a great and powerful tool and never understood why people associate with dark work. ExiledMystran brought up a really good point though too, the light is often seen as battling the darkness, but who defines the darkness? Why is one set of violence ok and another not? Reminds me of lawful good paladins in DnD... never liked them...

I personally always had a bit of an issue with the 'love, light, and harm none!' mentality that many neopagans seemed to have when I first started expanding my spiritual search. It seems incredibly naive and impractical to think that you could do whatever you want as long as you harm none. But I also have a way of overthinking things. Now I'm 12 or so years into my path and looking at some of the 'perfect love, and perfect trust' stuff that I shrugged off before with a new eyes and from a new angle, so some may think I have gotten 'lighter'.

To wrap up my rambling I think that most modern pagans are not born pagans. Even if they come from an Atheist family they have been exposed to and are most familiar with the Good vs. Evil mentality of the modern Abrahamic west. And before they can move away from that Good vs. Evil, Light vs. Dark way of looking at things they have to fit it into their new path, and as they go they find naturally that it doesn't fit as cleaning as they first thought and they start to expand their definitions of each into something more like Benevolent and Malevolent, then as they go yet further even that gets a bit fuzzy until with experience comes an entirely new way of looking at the world that isn't influenced by their original upbringing of Good vs Evil. But people who are still influenced by that may look at that individual and say that have gotten darker. *shrug*
    神の恵みと祖先の恩とに感謝し
    明き清きまことをもって祭しにいそしむこと。

Kami no megumi to sosen no on to ni kanshashi
    Akaki kiyoki makoto o motte saishi ni isoshimu koto.

I am grateful for the blessings of the kami and my ancestors
    And will practice my faith with brightness, purity, and sincerity.

敬神生活の綱領
    Keishin seikatsu no koryo
    Commitment of Life Devotion

- 'Shinto Norito' by Ann Llewellyn Evans -

The funny thing is, I like Paladins. At least, I like what they have the potential to be. I don't generally use them (I like primary casters more) but they have the capacity to be awesome. The problem is that they are also hideously easy to screw up and a paladin done badly is annoying as hell. I think the closest I find in literature these days are the Knights of the Cross from Dresden Files. They're extremely dangerous under very narrow conditions but if you aren't within their remit then you're safe from them and arguably safe from everything else while you're around them.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledMystran View Post
    The funny thing is, I like Paladins. At least, I like what they have the potential to be. I don't generally use them (I like primary casters more) but they have the capacity to be awesome. The problem is that they are also hideously easy to screw up and a paladin done badly is annoying as hell. I think the closest I find in literature these days are the Knights of the Cross from Dresden Files. They're extremely dangerous under very narrow conditions but if you aren't within their remit then you're safe from them and arguably safe from everything else while you're around them.
    Ok, I don’t want to derail the original intent of this post to much but I have to say a few things. I love the Dresden files and also agree that the Knights of the Cross are the best example I have ever seen of paladins done correctly! I have the same overall option of them, they have the potential to be awesome but are so easy to mess up and turn into zealots. They also make great antagonists when they are messed up, which a lot of people like to take advantage of.

Also Cleric all the way unless we already have a dedicated healer, then Magic User (1st edition) or Sorcerer with an emphasis in fire (5th edition). Would love monk by my d20’s hate me.

OK sorry, no more off topic!

((*whisper* if you ever want to talk more DnD or Dresden feel free to PM me ))
    神の恵みと祖先の恩とに感謝し
    明き清きまことをもって祭しにいそしむこと。

Kami no megumi to sosen no on to ni kanshashi
    Akaki kiyoki makoto o motte saishi ni isoshimu koto.

I am grateful for the blessings of the kami and my ancestors
    And will practice my faith with brightness, purity, and sincerity.

敬神生活の綱領
    Keishin seikatsu no koryo
    Commitment of Life Devotion

- 'Shinto Norito' by Ann Llewellyn Evans -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3