Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does experience always make you darker?

I've...not really gotten darker or lighter with experience. I'd say I've balanced it out. Like, after having practiced for roughly 13 years, I'm not particularly opposed to the idea of hexing someone who's done me wrong. But I'm also very much an all things in moderation kind of person, and I would weigh things out and think about things long and hard before doing so. I'm more likely to choose to forgive now than I might've been when I was younger.
    The possibilities are endless.

In my opinion, dark and light/good and evil, whatever you want to call them, are nothing more than human constructs. As far as I can ascertain, these constructs do not exist beyond humans. Once one masters and overcomes Ego, one's can see one's practice as it really is, neither dark nor light but a contribution to a whole.

Agree with the last statement, I would consider my reasons rather than my actions, if you came across a kidnapper with a knife to a child's throat and you had a gun on him, would you condem an innocent kid to death just because it would make you darker? every action needs a reason as long as it's the right reason I wouldn't worry about it...

is offline Now the Official Queen of ALL Blankets!
    I think the darkness is something that we go through, a la the legend ofthw decent of the goddess.
    Site Adminstrator, (Yes, really!)
    Official Site Vixen, 100% Grade A Evil,
    Cerebral Goddess and Jelly Donut!
    subscribe to mw

Disciple #42 of Jodarius, the Random God of Thwaking.

"Even people who think they are dragons think you are crazy. How does that make you feel?"

Perhaps people have different definitions of "getting darker". As we search and yearn to learn more about ourselves, the world, and Spirit or our adopted belief systems - we decide how much of the light or dark we explore. Certain things may resonate with us, while others don't. Then once we've found what speaks to us some may balance that against what society accepts as acceptable or not. Others may not care to make the comparison.

In my experience, I can't be content knowing or believing only half of what is. Not just the dark half or the light. I'm just ravenously curious.

- Tip-toeing the raggedy edge of something magnificently dark but truly amazing...

Some interesting thoughts so far!

i think, personally speaking, as my sense of personal spirituality deepend... I strayed away from black/white dichotamies. The world isn't a straight forward place, and it's complexity is overarching and, well, complex. I 'an it harm none, do what thou wilt' is cute, but it must be understood where it comes from. It was never a part of ancient paganisms... there was blood magic and curses and votive prayers seeking revenge all over the place. One visit to Bath in the UK will show al manner of votives sounding like: "O Great Sulis Minerva if you punish Seutonia of Curricalum I, Randomius, will sacrifice seven chickens to you before the next full moon."

I would say practice doesn't become darker, I think it becomes more mature.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
    As people become more involved in the occult it seems to me their beliefs and practices tend to get darker. For example they may become less hesitant to use blood in rituals and more likely to leave maxims such as "Harm None" behind.
    Is this always the case? Is it a natural progression? What do you think?
    Personally I don't think experience makes one darker I believe it makes one wiser and causes you to re-evaluate your morals, ethics and paradigms. Consider the "Harm None" clause when your first introduced to it and lack experience and depth it's hard to really comprehend it. Yet add some experience and evaluation of just what it means and it's result is not that you've grown potentially darker you've grown broader. Sort of like the so called three-fold law, on the surface and all the 101 books it's very generic and stale yet again once you actually start to ponder it and look at it you don't get darker but realize there is a whole lot more to it.

I tend to think within the pagan community in general Wicca is the primary front door entrance for the majority and has an in-balance of "White Light" and "Happy Happy Joyful Joyful" mindsets coupled to you can be anything you want to be mentality. Factor in the "You can't tell me what to believe!" "You can't tell me how to believe!", etc and the we accept all openly and you've pretty well laid a foundation and mental picture of a white light happy place where it's all roses and rainbow's. As such it is such an out of whack mentality to begin with that any movement away from it automatically seems to promote or suggest a movement towards a darker mindset and application.

Granted other pathways such as the African Disapora practices, many of the Heathen practices or the Granny or Folk practices do not tend to have such a disparity. I believe in part due to the fact good, bad, lighter or darker are not really positions they embrace to that extreme. Yes they acknowledge harmful / baneful practices or helpful practices but it's different than what you see in Neo_paganism imho.

Define darker...

Okay that's a cop out answer so let me go with a different one. Experience tends to provoke re-assessment tends to provoke either the reinforcement of, changing of or abandoning of ideas. This process can go in a lot of ways depending on the person. It can also be circular with people venturing down random paths and then returning to their old paths with a new understanding.

It's a legit point though--"darker" in these cases tends to be a really loaded concept. It fails to take into account different cultural perceptions of certain actions and practices, and seems to use only a modern, Christianised Western cultural lens. To take as an example, the hesistance towards the use of blood in ritual was raised: the OP would suggest that using it corresponds to a certain "darkness". But in many ancient polytheistic religions, the revival of which forms the basis of Modern Paganism, blood was not taboo and it featured in many everyday rituals; particularly animal blood and ritual slaughter, where blood represented the force of life itself. The modern-day blood taboo comes more from the Abrahamic faiths; and if you practise those, or occult/esoteric spinoffs of them, that's fine if you have that taboo. But if you don't, it is best to shelve those preconceptions and look at things through your own lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    It's a legit point though--"darker" in these cases tends to be a really loaded concept. It fails to take into account different cultural perceptions of certain actions and practices, and seems to use only a modern, Christianised Western cultural lens.
    and sometimes a particularly idealized one at that. I have a long standing issue with the tendency to treat "light" as inherently non-violent. A rather large number of very bright and shiny Powers are either

a. Well armed bright and shiny Powers (Apollo has been known to kill people with that bow he carries) or
    b. Served by well armed bright and shiny Powers (Christ may not have been known to for carrying a weapon. St. Michael, however, is always portrayed in armor and with a spear or a sword)

the "light" Powers may not prefer violent means but they almost always have the ability to use them or a champion ready, willing and able to do so for them. Hells, the iconic image of Lady Justice has a sword in one hand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast