Thread: Looking for book suggestions

Looking for book suggestions

Hi everyone,
    I'm really new to learning about paganism and I'm hoping for some book suggestions. I love reading and am open to learning anything and everything, so all suggestions will be appreciated (:

What books have you read and what kind of Paganism are you interested in, if any? Are there any specific topics you're looking to learn more about?

Without further detail I'd just direct you to "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margot Adler
    "True Magick" by Amber K (this book as some errors in it like referring to the O.T.O as a branch of Wicca but that would have been a great intentional joke)
    and perhaps "Being a Pagan" by Ellen Evert Hopman if you can get it on the cheap.

How do personally define Paganism?- as that would also help people direct you to books.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

I personally have found "Paganism: An Introduction to Earth Centered Religions" by Joyce and River Higginbotham to be the best introductory book to modern paganism.

Personally, the books that I found helpful for me were:

Wicca - A guide for the solitary practioner - Scott Cunningham

The Spiral Dance - Starhawk

The Way of Four - Deborah Lipp (a personal favorite, as she is one of the Elders of my Clan) Also, her book Elements of Ritual.

I didn't want to give you a big list because it can be very overwhelming. I think these are good "starters" and help you find out what Path/tradition is calling you and go from there.

Good luck!
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Quote Originally Posted by MammaStar View Post
    Personally, the books that I found helpful for me were:

Wicca - A guide for the solitary practioner - Scott Cunningham

The Spiral Dance - Starhawk

The Way of Four - Deborah Lipp (a personal favorite, as she is one of the Elders of my Clan) Also, her book Elements of Ritual.
    While these are great books, IMO, the Cunningham books are more tailored to the solitary practices of Wicca (many traditionals would debate that path isn't Wicca) and the Starhawk book is more tailored to Goddess worship. While both are great reads, I don't consider them to be overviews of paganism in general. Both are more path specific. I haven't read the third.

I just offered up what helped me as a newbie. That's what the OP was looking for information on. Jumping in can be overwhelming, I offered my 2 cents on what helped me.
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Personally I would practice and master meditation and other acts for opening your mind first normally your path will be chosen for you, otherwise you could end up reading 10 books on Greek mythology only to encounter an Egyption deity in a vison or dream. But if you want easy to get going books for newbies Scott cunningham books are quite good although they are about wicca which I don't follow but they still give easy to learn information on magick and some of the rituals and methods can be applied to most forms of paganism anyway. But spend time searching through all the different types and see what fits..